Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Sleazebag
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Question about cheap LGA1336 motherboards

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm looking to upgrade straight into an i7 system from a really, really old athlon system. So I'm looking to building a completely new system later this year. However most of the current LGA1336 motherboards are far too expensive for my tastes, and have some things that I really don't need. I've been looking at the cheapest Gigabyte has to offer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128375 and it's looking pretty good! I'm only going to use 6GB ram anyway, and start with only one hard drive and maybe add another one later. What do you think about this board? Are there any other quality, cheaper LGA1336 boards coming soon?

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Re: Question about cheap LGA1336 motherboards

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

P55 boards should start showing up, but it could be 6-8 months away, I don't know honestly, but they did say it would be later in the year.

That gigabyte board looks good, just search for some professional reviews to make sure it doesn't have any bad quirks, like the video slots not running full speed.
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:37 pm

So that board only has 4 memory slots. That's fine if you want 2GB sticks in three slots for triple channel speed, but it's a limitation if you want to add three more sticks later (since obviously 6 sticks won't fit in 4 slots)

As long as you're OK with this boards limitations it looks like the most affordable way to join the i7 club. Gigabyte has a good reputation.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:47 pm

The LGA1366 platform is not designed for cheap. You are looking at the mainstream LGA1160 Nehalem code name Lynnfield, for now being labelled the i5's. Although there is only one i7 chip bearing the "Extreme Edition" moniker, most of the other chips, coupled with the X series chipset and triple channel DDR3, is indeed extreme (expensive) edition caliber.

The Lynnfields are coming in the 2nd half of this year. P55 (Ibex Peak) is indeed designed for Lynnfield/Havendale, so it is not on a LGA1366 platform.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:57 pm

That EX58-UD3R looks like a really good deal to me.

You know, you don't *have* to run triple-channel RAM.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:06 am

FuturePastNow wrote:

$200+ motherboards are not exactly good deals in my book.

What's the point of buying something but not use it? It's like all those people who buy into Nvidia's SLI thing and never put a 2nd card in. Besides, we are still waiting for regular applications that can use so much bandwidth. Remember the 1366 platform (with the triple channel RAM) is mainly targeted at workstation/server workloads.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
FuturePastNow wrote:

$200+ motherboards are not exactly good deals in my book.

What's the point of buying something but not use it? It's like all those people who buy into Nvidia's SLI thing and never put a 2nd card in. Besides, we are still waiting for regular applications that can use so much bandwidth. Remember the 1366 platform (with the triple channel RAM) is mainly targeted at workstation/server workloads.

I admit I'd rather have a Core 2 Duo on a P45 board than spend $200 on a mobo, but if someone is dead-set on having an i7 system, that Gigabyte board is the cheapest way in. So far. And as for the RAM, from the reviews I've seen, the performance benefit of using triple-channel vs. dual-channel isn't impressive at all. Yet people act like using it is a requirement.

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:13 am

Sleazebag wrote:
So I'm looking to building a completely new system later this year.

How late is later? If it's over a month away, just sit tight and see what the happens between now and a couple of weeks before you're ready to build. If nothing else, wait for Phenom II benchmarks to see what impact they have on the market.
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64