Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

swalkenshaw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Gigabyte AMD motherboards having problems Running XP Mode

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Being a technet member, I gained access to Windows 7 RTM on August 6th. Naturally I tried to break it as soon as I could. It runs great on my Acer Aspire One Netbook, and an older Toshiba laptop. Over the last weekend I tried it on my main desktop. This is an AMD Phenom II X4 810, on a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P socket AM3 motherboard. Everything has been great except Virtual XP mode.

When testing one of the RC versions on the same system, it had no problem running at all. It was a little slow, but is was an RC version so I didn't think about it much.

I went to load up XP mode on the 64bit version of Windows 7 RTM and it comes up with an error:

Cannot start Windows Virtual PC while another virtualization software is running. Please close the other virtualization software and try again.

This is a clean install, with Office 2007, RealVNC, and Avast anti-virus only installed. I thought VNC had something to do with it, but it did not. I seached for the exact error message and came to the following Technet site:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 73d9a12030

It seems that everyone who has posted this error is running on Gigabyte motherboards. I have confirmed that running XP mode on an Asus board with the same CPU works very well.

Gigabyte has told me that since Windows 7 has not been released yet, there is nothing they can do about it, and has even asked me to check that maybe AMD has the problem. I informed Gigabyte again that I am a Technet member, and it is the official release. Since I have not seen this reported anywhere else, I figured I would start with TR forums

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Re: Gigabyte AMD motherboards having problems Running XP Mode

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Is virtualization enabled in the BIOS? It wasn't by default on my Gigabyte 790X board. I've never tried XP Mode, didn't bother since I'm never going to use it.

swalkenshaw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 am

yes, I have been through all the troubleshooting steps. And it also did work on a previous RC candidate. There have been no other listings for that error except for people with Gigabyte motherboards, and many of those confirm that a previous RC worksed for them.

swalkenshaw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:40 am

I guess there is a BIOS flash that has worked for some. I will try that later today. I guess my L3 cache will drop from 6MB to 4MB. At least I won't lose a core. :roll:

swalkenshaw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:03 am

Flashed the BIOS to the latest version for my motherboard. XP mode worked fine after that. Then I started to get blue screens of death randomly throughout the day. Ended up restoring previous version of BIOS, and running without XP Mode until Gigabyte can fix this issue