Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

New Egg Sandy-bridge replacement

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 am

I got an RMA email from their customer support stating I had 3 options:

a: Send mine back, receive replacement.
b: Get replacement, given mail the defective unit back
c: Ignore

I think I want to go with option B but my question is, would I have to format again or should I be good to go since it's the same motherboard? That's the real deal breaker for me.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: New Egg Sandy-bridge replacement

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 am

Same motherboard? No Need to reformat since it is the same MB and chipset.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. Well then, 30 minutes of work and I should have it back up and running.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Received a phone call from their Customer Service Department, very pleasant. They took my credit card information and explained that NO hold or anything of the sort would be placed on the account, but that they couldn't access my CC on file through the RMA process. She stated that the replacement motherboard would arrive in 1-2 days, and also gave me a pre-paid UPS label to send the old unit in. It's only good for 7 days so it's in my interest to get it shipped, plus I work in a place that has a daily Fedex and UPS pickup so it should be a good deal all around.

Just another gold star for newegg; they initiated everything contacting me about the problem, about the intended resolution, about my options once they were available and I'm sure the rest of this process will go smoothly. Peace of mind is nice. I swear I'm not a newegg shill. :wink:

edit: Shipping to me was overnighted :o

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Handling situations like these well is the best way to build raport amongst your customers and Newegg knows that. No one has anything to say if a regular order goes to plan, usually. This cockup seems to have been handled very well. So well you posted it on a forum for all of the iNtErNeTz to see.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

karddark
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I just got my replacement from newegg - no issues at all with the OS (Win7 Pro OEM). It just needed to re-activate, didn't have any problems.

I never heard any progress from ASUS after I registered directly with them, while Newegg was really on top of this - I guess I need to let ASUS know I won't need their help with it now. :D

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I had the same exact experience - just needed to reactivate windows. Annoying, but far better than a format. I just mailed my old one back today. All in all, a pleasant experience.

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm having the opposite experience with NewEgg. They've had the new B3 steppings of my model available for sale for nearly a month, but nothing on getting a replacement.

I got the one form email back in early March from them about Sandy Bridge that basically said "Don't call us, we'll call you", but apart from that it's been the Cone Of Silence.

Annoying and frustrating to see that anyone's been able to buy a new one from them for weeks now, but the early adopters are getting screwed.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

The Egg emailed me several times, was very good. I had never contacted them about RMA so they clearly tracked it well. Alas, I had tossed the box since it was working fine after two weeks and the recall wasn't out yet. They impressed me.

Asus took a month to get me RMA labels, but then overnighted the new mobo (with all parts - I had sent mobo only). Didn't need the parts but I guess it was easier for them.

The only hard part was removing the AS 5 from the Hyper 212! For some reason the new mobo also runs my 1600 GSkill memory correctly at cas 7 once the voltage was set to 1.6v. The original p8p67 pro wouldn't run over 1333 and CAS 9, even with the same 1305 bios and software settings. It ended up good.

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

So a week ago I finally contacted someone at NewEgg, and they said they'd get contact me within 24 hours to get the ball rolling. Alas, I'm still waiting to be contacted (and even though I get all the other NewEgg emails fine, I did double-check that the emails weren't getting zapped by spam filters).

I realize mistakes happen, but they've had the board in stock and for sale for about a month, I've gotten blown off so far from the people handling SandyBridge stuff in Customer Service, and on top of that, one of the SATA ports on the board has begun acting oddly.

Not a good experience thus far with Newegg, to say the least.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Since I brought my experiences up, I should mention that after waiting a week for a reply, I contacted Newegg again yesterday.

This afternoon, I did get a response and a phone call from Customer Service, so things finally appear to have gotten on track to get my board replaced, although it took way too much prodding.