Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Intell s3000ahv raid 1 plus seperate data drive

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:19 pm

I have a intel s3000ahv server running raid 1 and Windows 2003. I wanted some additional storage so decided to just add an extra 2 TB hard drive as a data drive. After installing the extra SATA drive, I discovered that the bios attached the drive to the raid as a hot swap. Does not seem to allow the other SATA ports to be used without them being part of the raid. I saw a Syba sd-sata-1e1ipci stat controller card on new egg that says it supports Windows 2003. Will that allow me to do what I want then, leave the raid on the main board, but add a separate hard drive for storing some data on that will be little used?

Elsoze
Gerbil

Re: Intell s3000ahv raid 1 plus seperate data drive

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Are there any other options in the array configuration? You'd most likely be looking to create either a pass-thru disk or another logical drive with just that disk in it. Different controllers do different things to make what you want work.

But yes, adding a separate card will allow you to use the disk if the built in controller won't for whatever reason. Just be sure to get the correct expansion slot type.

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Intell s3000ahv raid 1 plus seperate data drive

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

No, there are not any options. I've done this before with other controllers, so I thought they all would do it. So, I'll double check that I have a pci slot and order it.

Thanks.