Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

f0d
Gerbil XP

Re: Your motherboard that had the most CPU upgrades

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am

as the subject has changed from the longest lasting motherboard to your total computer history i will attempt to do both (which is quite hard for me to remember because some of them was so long ago)

longest lasting motherboard was my gigabyte 965 ds3pro which had all these cpu's - pretty much everything else i had i swapped motherboards with the cpu
e6600
q6600
q9300
qx9650

first pc was an 8086 (xt) something or other (cant remember much about it)
a wyse 286-10mhz which i then overclocked to 286-12 by changing the crystal in it
386dx40amd which was a beast at the time
486 25 which was overclocked to 33
486 dx2 75 which was overclocked to 100mhz

then came the time when i had multiple computers at once and its hard to remember exactly when i got them and got rid of them
pentium 75 overclocked to 100
pentium pro 180 overclocked to 200
cyrix 200
amd k5 (cant even remember the clock speed but it was stock)

then came even larger overclocks - the age of overclocking imo
dual mendocino celerons on an abit bp6 motherboard - 366@550mhz
also had a k6 3 450 (i think it was) which i never overclocked at the same time as the dual bp6

my amd obsession starts here as well as my watercooling obsession (everything was watercooled from here on in)
amd duron 600@900mhz
amd thunderbird 900@1120mhz (or something around there as far as i can remember)
athlon xp 2500+@ 3200+ speeds (still have this around somewhere)
sempron 2800+ overclocked to about 2000mhz

back to intel i go and the start of using the same motherboard for so long (gigabyte 965 ds3p) and continued use of watercooling everything
core 2 duo e6600 @ 3.6ghz
core 2 quad q6600 @ 3.6ghz
core 2 quad q9300 @ 3.7ghz
core 2 quad qx9650 @ 4.0ghz+ (woohoo 4ghz)

skipped loads of cpu's after the 4.0ghz+ qx9650 and went straight to i7 2011 cpu's
i7 3820@ 5ghz
i7 3930k@ 5ghz (where i am now)

wow thats a lot of cpu's but i just realized that doesnt even include my HTPC computers i have had which i will leave for another list as trying to remember all of these was hard enough and i couldnt be bothered listing any more
Last edited by f0d on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 am

Tyan 1590, I believe it was. Went from K6/300 to K6-2/450 to K6-3/450 OC to around 500, buying AMD's latest and greatest as fast as they were released. The K6-3, with the extra on-chip L3, was a real performer.

During the same general time frame, the board hosted a Voodoo2, 2x V2, V3, and then the AWESOME Voodoo 5 DUAL GPU monster. FSAA for the win, Baby! :D

The Killer App that drove this upgrade frenzy was the racing sim, Grand Prix Legends. I was a drooling addict... :P

I also seem to recall an MSI socket A of some sort getting everything from a Duron 800, T-bird 1400 to XP-2500M (Unlocked!)

In general, I think I've managed to get at least one CPU upgrade out of each motherboard I've owned.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:47 am

I can't really say, when I buy a CPU I stick with it. Oddly enough in the past when I'd do an upgrade at all then it was usually the motherboard that got upgraded and not the CPU. Usually by the time it's worthwhile to upgrade the processor it's no longer compatible with the old motherboard anyway.

Like with my E6300, I had a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 chipset board. Was a great, cheap budget board but it had a slight coil whine problem at really high FSBs so I upgraded to a midrange P35 chipset board with solid caps. That board let me run that E6300 at 3.8Ghz and I stuck with that for a few years until Q6600 prices got really cheap. I did keep using that P35 board with the Q6600 come to think of it. Amazing the socket didn't melt a hole clean through the motherboard on it really... :D

f0d
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:43 am

Kougar wrote:
I can't really say, when I buy a CPU I stick with it. Oddly enough in the past when I'd do an upgrade at all then it was usually the motherboard that got upgraded and not the CPU. Usually by the time it's worthwhile to upgrade the processor it's no longer compatible with the old motherboard anyway.

Like with my E6300, I had a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 chipset board. Was a great, cheap budget board but it had a slight coil whine problem at really high FSBs so I upgraded to a midrange P35 chipset board with solid caps. That board let me run that E6300 at 3.8Ghz and I stuck with that for a few years until Q6600 prices got really cheap. I did keep using that P35 board with the Q6600 come to think of it. Amazing the socket didn't melt a hole clean through the motherboard on it really... :D

hmm thats odd as my gigabyte 965 ds3p let me have around 460fsb no problems - no coil whine
as i mentioned in my post i used it with many cpu's e6600 q6600 q9300 qx9650 all in the same mobo

best motherboard i have ever owned

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 am

f0d wrote:
as the subject has changed from the longest lasting motherboard to your total computer history

Total history is impossible to recall if I count all the secondary and "screw around" systems. I am listing only my primary desktop systems:

- IMSAI; CPU upgraded from an 8080A to a Z-80 at some point
- Some sort of PC clone (I forget the brand) with an NEC 8086 clone CPU in it
- 386-based NEC desktop (this was a discard from the place I was working at the time)
- Gateway 486 full tower
- Micronics Pentium Pro mid-tower
- The previously mentioned Super 7 system with multiple flavors of K6-x over the years
- MSI slot A system; CPU upgraded once from a Slot A "classic" to a Slot A T-bird; motherboard died of capacitor plague, was re-capped, and pulled file server duty for many, many years thereafter
- Dual Socket A system with Tyan Tiger MPX motherboard; CPUs upgraded once, from XPs that I MP unlocked with the conductive paint trick, to real Athlon MPs
- Socket 939 system on an Asus mobo (don't remember specific model), with an Opteron 165
- One of the previously mentioned Asus M3A78-CM systems; started with Phenom 9550, CPU upgraded several times, soon to be resurrected and re-purposed as a file server
- Asus M4A78T-E with Phenom II 955, eventually upgraded to Phenom II 1090T
- Asus M5A97 R2.0 with an FX-8320 CPU; no firm plans to upgrade the CPU, though I may drop an 8350 in there if they get cheap enough (this is my current system, which I plan to keep for a while yet)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:04 pm

I had a Pentium D 805 that got upgraded to a Pentium E2140 which was OCd for a while and eventually was replaced with a Core 2 Quad Q8400. It was in an ASUS nForce LGA775 motherboard. it was the heart of my wife's system for quite a while, taking her from XP SP2 days up through Win7 SP1. Otherwise I don't think I've ever had a system that saw more than 1 CPU.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:21 pm

It's probably more a measurement of how long each Socket was in use by AMD/Intel, and whether there were any major improvements to the processors during that time.

Especially with Intel, I don't quite get why the socket changes are becoming so frequent, especially when it's trivial stuff like 1156 -> 1155 -> 1150. I understand that sometimes you don't want people putting a CPU with a DDR3 controller into a DDR2 board (and other such things), but what exactly changed between those three sockets that couldn't have been fixed with a BIOS update? So what if a couple power-saving features or PCIe lanes are disabled on older chipsets; so long as it's nothing major, just include fine print on the box and assume that anyone with knowledge enough to swap a CPU is aware and understands that they're going to lose some trivial features on an older board.

Since more frequent socket changes discourage or prevent mid-cycle CPU upgrades, it's unquestionably costing Intel sales.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm

The Egg wrote:
Since more frequent socket changes discourage or prevent mid-cycle CPU upgrades, it's unquestionably costing Intel sales.

What percentage of Intel's CPU sales do you figure are used to upgrade existing motherboards? I'd be willing to bet the percentage is very small. And don't forget, they make motherboard chipsets too; so the lost CPU sales may be partially offset by chipset sales, when people decide to upgrade even though it means they need to replace the motherboard.

The Egg

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

What percentage of Intel's CPU sales do you figure are used to upgrade existing motherboards? I'd be willing to bet the percentage is very small. And don't forget, they make motherboard chipsets too; so the lost CPU sales may be partially offset by chipset sales, when people decide to upgrade even though it means they need to replace the motherboard.

Overall it's miniscule, but if you limit the discussion to just retail boxed CPUs I'm sure they could stand to improve a bit. I would also imagine that their margins on retail boxed CPUs are much better than what they're getting for bulk chipset sales to board makers.

To use myself as an example, I'm not much of an OC'er, so if I were able to slap a Haswell in my P67, I might very well consider it. Since I can't, it might be years before Intel sees any more money from me.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:11 am

As a counter argument to that point, I sometimes upgrade the board without upgrading the CPU.

A new CPU gives more performance, but in this era of "fast enough" computing, sometimes what people need is new features. I've changed a board before to take advantage of some DDR3 that was lying around, instead of buying more old DDR2, and I've replaced a board for someone because it was cheaper to change the board than it would have been to buy a firewire card, wireless card, USB3 card and she had the extra benefit of faster booting (UEFI FTW!) and 6Gb/s SATA too.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Overall it's miniscule, but if you limit the discussion to just retail boxed CPUs I'm sure they could stand to improve a bit. I would also imagine that their margins on retail boxed CPUs are much better than what they're getting for bulk chipset sales to board makers.

To use myself as an example, I'm not much of an OC'er, so if I were able to slap a Haswell in my P67, I might very well consider it. Since I can't, it might be years before Intel sees any more money from me.

EGG your 2500k will serve you well for the next couple years You don't have to be a OC'er to overclock it. It definitely is not rocket science since SB is the easiest OC platform ever. Even with the Intel box cooler you probably can get 4ghz out of it with acceptable temps. It has plenty of performance left in it if you just let it go free. The only time I see me upgrading from Sandy Bridge is when GPU's are limited by PCIE 2.0 8x bandwidth at 1080p and higher resolutions.

JBI going from a 8320 to a 8350 does not sound like it would be worth it even if you paid $50 for the cpu. You already know if you up your unlocked multiplier a tiny bit will turn your 8320 into a 8350 or better. Unless you got a really sucky chip in the silicone lottery.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 am

Am I the only one around here that's never really upgraded a CPU without upgrading the motherboard?

I don't upgrade that often (shortest time was 2 years), so I usually just go for the whole platform.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
A new CPU gives more performance, but in this era of "fast enough" computing, sometimes what people need is new features. I've changed a board before to take advantage of some DDR3 that was lying around, instead of buying more old DDR2,

Provided you needed the extra RAM that makes sense. But switching motherboards *just* to go from DDR2 to DDR3 would not make sense, as the incremental performance gain (given same CPU) is just not that much.

Chrispy_ wrote:
and I've replaced a board for someone because it was cheaper to change the board than it would have been to buy a firewire card, wireless card, USB3 card and she had the extra benefit of faster booting (UEFI FTW!) and 6Gb/s SATA too.

Yup, with nearly everything on the motherboard these days, outdated onboard peripherals can be the deciding factor. Stuffing add-in cards into an existing system runs less of a risk of borking the OS install though, assuming you're not planning to reformat.

vargis14 wrote:
JBI going from a 8320 to a 8350 does not sound like it would be worth it even if you paid $50 for the cpu. You already know if you up your unlocked multiplier a tiny bit will turn your 8320 into a 8350 or better. Unless you got a really sucky chip in the silicone lottery.

TBH I would probably consider the 8350 only if I had another use for the 8320. Given that, I'd probably pull the trigger at around $125 or so. I do have a spare AM3+ motherboard and some extra DDR3 (I think I've even got a spare Cooler Master Hyper TX3 buried in the mess somewhere!), so that's not a far-fetched scenario.

Also, I suppose after having used AMD CPUs for so long (since the K6 days) there's a part of me that just wants to own what could very well be the last and fastest performance desktop CPU they will ever produce. (I'm not counting the "halo" parts with insane TDPs, obviously. I do want to be able to actually *use* the thing, not just put it on a shelf as some sort of memorial to AMD's fall from grace.)

morphine wrote:
Am I the only one around here that's never really upgraded a CPU without upgrading the motherboard?

Only one posting in this thread, at least. :lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

If anything is still costing Intel sales it's the fact that Sandy Bridge, more than 3 years on, is still basically at the top of the heap. They've done such a good job getting power draw and heat down but a pretty miserable job cranking out extra performance at the same time. Not that they've needed to...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:47 am

M3N-HT Deluxe

X2 4200
X2 6400
955 BE
1090T

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 pm

For me, most motherboards had maybe 1 new cpu, but the coolest I thought was an old gateway intel 440bx slot1 mobo that started with a pII 400mhz. I got a slotkit which allowed a s370 cpu to be used in a slot1 mobo and a 1.2ghz celeron tualatin to go with it. Both had a 100mhz fsb so it actually worked, and I was enjoying a full 3x cpu clockspeed increase on an old mobo . It was so fast I had to rip it out of its beige gateway case and give it a proper home in a lian-li type black aluminum case. I maxed out the ram to 512mb and got a 20gb 7200rpm hdd and the thing was really fast. I upgraded the videocard on it also but can't remember exactly what it was...maybe an ati rage xl 8mb to a nvidia tnt2 16mb?? finally retired that awesome mobo after years of service and got an overclockable s370 mobo off of ebay for that cpu that supported more ram and agp 4x. but by that time p4 was coming out so it was never as useful as that old 440bx. still have the s370 mobo and 1.2ghz tualatin combo collecting dust in my basement.

full list of pcs that were my main desktop machines:

gateway i440bx mobo, slot1 - pII 400mhz= upgraded with a slotkit and s370 tualatin 1.2ghz celeron
gateway i850 mobo w/ rdram, s423 - p4 1500mhz = no cpu upgrade
abit ic7-g i875 mobo, s478 - p4 2.8ghz = no cpu upgrade, just overclocked
dfi nf4ultra-d mobo, s939 - athlon64 3200+ = upgraded to opteron165
asus p5b-plus i965 mobo, s775 - core2duo e6420 = cpu downgraded to e4300 for htpc use when ep43 mobo was purchased (e6420 back in it once q6600 was purchased)
gigabyte ep43-ud3l p43 mobo, s775 - core2duo e6420 = upgraded to q6600 and still using it today!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:42 pm

The only mobo I've owned with multiple CPUs was an old MSI KT400 in Socket A. Locking down a Socket A HSF was bad enough the first time, but to voluntarily do it twice was just wrong.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:43 pm

4 CPUs on an ASUS P2B:

Celeron 300A
Celeron 433
Pentium 3 550
Pentium 3 800

That computer is still in active duty for old games. No bad capacitors in the 1999 vintage. :)

Hz so good wrote:
Or, better still, "Screw 3DFX... My Riva 128 does OpenGL!" *facepalm*

Hah. I was pondering Matrox G100 + 3dfx Voodoo 2, or a Voodoo Banshee. In the end I got a Riva TNT. It wasn't quite the "Voodoo killer" it was initially supposed to be, but it was the best long term choice.

Chrispy_ wrote:
It was my overclocking testbed that went through a trio of Durons (600, 650, 750), A 1GHz Thunderbird, a 1.4GHz Thoroughbred-B, a Barton XP-M 2500+ and finally, before retirement, a genuine XP 3200+
Nice. But did you actually use this "overclocking testbed" as a computer? :)

jihadjoe wrote:
Celeron 300A - 450
Celeron 366 - 550
Pentium III 600 - 800
Pentium III 700 - 933
Lucky bastard. Took me some searching to find a 300A, and in the end I never managed to overclock it. :(

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 pm

meerkt wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
It was my overclocking testbed that went through a trio of Durons (600, 650, 750), A 1GHz Thunderbird, a 1.4GHz Thoroughbred-B, a Barton XP-M 2500+ and finally, before retirement, a genuine XP 3200+
Nice. But did you actually use this "overclocking testbed" as a computer? :)

Yeah, for the most part. Up until the 1GHz thunderbird I was an engineering student trying to do compuational fluid dynamics on a shoestring budget. Overclocked Durons was the way forwards, but I cut my teeth on a Celeron 300a which was tantalisingly close to 100% overclockable on an Abit BE6, but never quite made it; I realise how old I am when talking about a 2.3V Vcore didn't sound particularly outrageous, yet a 124MHz FSB did. ;)

I got a job in IT back during the GHz race so I've played with (and most likely owned) practically every socket and every generation of intel and AMD processor in the 21st century, but to try and keep the thread on topic, Socket A was the champion - nothing else has had such compatibiliy, though S775 is a close second.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

jokinin
Gerbil

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Only once.
It happened when I bought an Intel SE440BX motherboard with a pentium 2 266 MHz and 128MB SDRAM PC66 (yes, 66 MHz).
Some time later, and after updating the BIOS the old way (botting from a floppy disk and executing a DOS program), I found that I could plug in a pentium 3.
So i bought a pentium 3 450MHz, and because of the increased bus speed from 66 to 100 MHz, I replaced RAM to a pair of 128MB SDRAM PC100 modules, totalling 256MB which was very good for Windows 2000 pro back then.
Never again I've replaced CPU without replacing motherboard, because by the time I could do that, there was a better chipset and RAM available.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:06 pm

I don't think I've ever upgraded a CPU. I usually hand on to a system until the sockets have changed so it's time for a new MB along with the CPU and often new memory. I think my first 'PC' was a Commodore 64. :) Though I suppose the first true PC I had was my Amiga 1000. Loved that OS with built-in multi-tasking at a time when you needed very expensive computers to get that. Too bad the management of the company was awful.

Kougar

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:31 pm

f0d wrote:
hmm thats odd as my gigabyte 965 ds3p let me have around 460fsb no problems - no coil whine
as i mentioned in my post i used it with many cpu's e6600 q6600 q9300 qx9650 all in the same mobo

best motherboard i have ever owned

It didn't have any noise around 460FSb, but I was clocking higher. For the E6300 to hit 3.5Ghz it required 500FSB, it just wouldn't run with the 8 multi. The 965P-DS3 maxed out around there, to take the E6300 to 3.8Ghz required the P35-DS3P instead. Both were certainly great boards. :) Used that same P35 when I eventually upgraded to a Q6600 several years later. But that was the end of the upgrade line, adopted a i7 920 a few years after that which required another board. I prefer to wait 3-5 years between upgrading the system and no motherboard I've had was worth keeping after five years of new IO interfaces & sockets.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:41 pm

In general, I can't think of any motherboard I owned that ever had more than one CPU upgrade during its primary active life. Sometimes I pulled things out of storage later to modify or play around if I stumbled across some old hardware in a recycle pile or what-not, but IIRC my "main" systems list went something like this:

Skt3: Cyrix 5x86-100
Skt7: AMD K6/233MMX
Super7: K6-2/300 to K6-2/400
SlotA: Athlon 600 (Argon) to Athlon 700 (Thunderbird)
SktA: AthlonXP 1500+ (Palomino) to AthlonXP 2600+ (Thouroughbred-B)
Skt478: Pentium4-1.8A to P4-2.66
Skt939: Athlon FX-55 to Opteron 180

SktA and Skt478 were running in parallel, although the AthlonXP system was my 'main' and the P4 was mostly experimental. The latter is still running today but about to head out to the recycler.

Currently running a Z68/LGA-1155 with an i2500K in my main desktop and I'm not sure if that board is ever going to get a CPU upgrade before the whole system reaches EOL. I could throw an Ivy Bridge in there, but at the moment I would rather have the three hundred bucks.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The only mobo I've owned with multiple CPUs was an old MSI KT400 in Socket A. Locking down a Socket A HSF was bad enough the first time, but to voluntarily do it twice was just wrong.

Ahaha, I had forgotten those stupid retention clips. Definitely sweat a little anytime I had to mount one - if the screwdriver didn't fit the notch perfectly it would just rifle into the motherboard. My own mobo had a few scratches in that area :P

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 pm

I've never upgraded a CPU mainly because of microshaft windows.

Now windows tic-toc seems to be speeding up which is making me want to look into a different OS for things that are not critical for work.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:
I've never upgraded a CPU mainly because of microshaft windows.

Now windows tic-toc seems to be speeding up which is making me want to look into a different OS for things that are not critical for work.

I don't follow. What does Windows have to do with not upgrading a CPU?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Asrock 939 DualSATA2 - what a freakin' cool board. Only board I am aware of that supports:

CPU upgrade socket
AGP and PCIe slots
DDR1, DDR2 (via CPU upgrade riser board)

I started with a Clawhammer AMD 3000+ single core, then moved to a 3700+ single core. Eventually I had to try out an X2 3800+ in it, and that lasted maybe a year until I picked up an AMD X2 5000+ Black Edition that clocked up to 3.1ghz. It is still in service today, and remains my favorite board since I started this hobby back in '89.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

DarkMikaru
Gerbil

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Hmmm... I'd have to say that my old Biostar TForce 550 for Socket AM2 back in the day. Let's see if I can remember this correctly... I think I upgraded to the X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz from my Athlon XP 1800+ lol

The Biostar saw the following...

Athlon64 X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz 89w Windsor
Athlon64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz 89w Manchester (Faster but still seriously loud with this tdp)
Athlon64 X2 5000+ 2.6Ghz 65w Brisbane (Got into serious MP3 ripping - wanted more power & less noise)
Athlon64 X2 4850e 2.5Ghz 45w Brisbane (Wanted similar performance level with even less heat & noise)

I still have my old 4850e lying around waiting for re-deployment at some point lol. Who knows, I may break it back out and put together a dedicated HTPC since I do have an old Biostar MCP6P-M2+ board lying around along with 8GB of DDR2 Ram. I've also got a spare Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD lying around as well. Might be a fun weekend project to find a case, underclock it and see how it does passively cooled and silent.

:)

juampa_valve_rde
Gerbil

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The M3A78-CM was a fantastic little micro-ATX board for its day. Supported pretty much all AM2/AM2+/AM3 CPUs up through the Phenom II xxxxT (6-core) series via BIOS upgrades. Could take up to 8GB of DDR2 (back when 8GB was still considered to be a lot of RAM), and had proper support for ECC DIMMs. It could also do dual digital displays via the IGP (1 DVI + 1 DisplayPort), which is a rarity on inexpensive motherboards.

One of the M3A78-CMs was my primary home desktop for several years. The other was in an inexpensive system I originally threw together (everything except the motherboard came out of the spares pile) to take to work to have a secondary Linux box there. The one at the office currently has a 1090T in it, and still sees daily use. The M3A78-CM system at home is currently not in use, but is still 100% functional, and is about to get re-purposed for my new file server build.

I had this mobo (a variant actually, M3A78-EM, but mostly the same) for so long, 3 cpu generations (Ax2 Brisbane, A240 Regor, PII955 Deneb) and sold it still fully functional as a lab server (currently doing virtualization), was an amazing mobo, had onboard everything but the kitchen sink, the only thing i could asked for was igp sideport for improved vid performance.
i3-6100 - GA-H170M-D3H - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance - Rx460 - ForceGT 240GB - 4 TB Seagate clicker - CM Silent M 500W - Benq 24" 1080p - G27

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 am

Man, I hardly ever upgraded just the CPU in a system. Thinking back to the mid 90s I'm pretty sure that nearly every CPU upgrade came with a new motherboard or a whole new system.

I remember upgrading my ECS K7S5A (SIS 735 chipset) going from a socket A Athlon Thunderbird 1.33Ghz (before the XP) to an Athlon XP 1800+, but I'm pretty sure that was because of a motherboard\cpu failure anyway, so in the end the 1800+ went into a new board (Gigabyte GA7VRX Via KT333). Funny thing is, that board that "failed" turned out to still be working fine a year or two later and did end up running along side the XP 1800+ when I sold it to a friend. Then after the system lost its power supply due to a lightning strike, my friend upgraded and gave me back the now-most-certainly-dead board with light brown "heat" marks inside the 20pin power connector from the PSU getting fried. Just for kicks, some months later I tried it out again with a new PSU and it worked fine! So, I flashed an aftermarket BIOS with updated CPU support and tossed in a cheap 2400+ from ebay (Mobile Barton or TBred B... can't remember which the board supported now), and ended up giving it to my mother. When the caps on the board died, I replaced them and the system worked but had some other issues so it was finally retired a year and a half ago.

So, after almost 14 years, that board has only had 3 different CPUs in it.

The only other every-day system of mine that I've upgraded the CPU in was my Gigabyte P35 system which went from a Core 2 Duo E6750 to a Q9550, and was replaced with a P45 not long after for better overclockability.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel