Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Finally found it: the all in one HTPC solution

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

The Egg wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
If I let it pass through any DTS, then on the DTS HD it just falls back to passing through the DTS core. Then we have stability... or lack of it. In the 10 minutes I was testing, I had to power cycle the Pi2 three times. Once it rebooted on it's own. Now, to be fair, I think the power supply it is plugged into is a bit week -- I just grabbed the first one I could find. A good 2A rated supply is sitting on my desk and I need to try it. I also need to get the Flirc configured and tested.

I've been using passthrough on everything for quite some time without issue, so you're probably right about the power supply (I believe you're supposed to have at least 1.5A; I'm using a 2A). I still don't understand why the Pi2 isn't capable of passing through DTS-HD, yet it's capable of decoding it to PCM via software. If it's a licensing issue I'd be fine with spending a couple bucks, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. As it stands though, I'm generally only pulling the DTS core from my sources about 80% of the time anyway, as I just can't see the benefit on something like a cheesy comedy. A decade from now when drive capacities are multiple 10's of TBs, I'll probably get irritated about that choice.

From what I have read, it is a GPU limitation due to bandwidth available to feed audio streams into the HDMI subsystem. I haven't been able to get a good grasp on it either.

--SS

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 pm

BobbinThreadbare wrote:
The Egg wrote:
As it stands though, I'm generally only pulling the DTS core from my sources about 80% of the time anyway, as I just can't see the benefit on something like a cheesy comedy. A decade from now when drive capacities are multiple 10's of TBs, I'll probably get irritated about that choice.

By the time that happens you'll want to upgrade the video to 4k anyways.

Eh, I don't know that 4k would benefit the classics from the 70's and 80's very much (if at all). By the time I actually start buying 4k, it'll probably only be a "new release and going forward" type deal.
Comcast is known to the State of California to cause Internet cancer.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:56 pm

The Egg wrote:
BobbinThreadbare wrote:
The Egg wrote:
As it stands though, I'm generally only pulling the DTS core from my sources about 80% of the time anyway, as I just can't see the benefit on something like a cheesy comedy. A decade from now when drive capacities are multiple 10's of TBs, I'll probably get irritated about that choice.

By the time that happens you'll want to upgrade the video to 4k anyways.

Eh, I don't know that 4k would benefit the classics from the 70's and 80's very much (if at all). By the time I actually start buying 4k, it'll probably only be a "new release and going forward" type deal.

I've been told that film has a usable resolution of 4k, so it very well could. However, I'm pretty sure those old movies never had 8 channels of audio either.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:23 pm

The Pi2 seems to be a doing a decent job. I watched a movie on it Friday night. Only issue I noticed was a glitch the audio that started towards the end of the movie. It would "tic" occasionally. I'll have to dig the physical disc out and verify that it plays ok before I blame the Pi, though I expect that is where the problem is. Audio was DD 5.1 so it would have been doing pass-through instead of decoding to PCM.

The FIreTV moved back downstairs. The ESPN issue seems to have only been the show I was watching at the time. Fired up a basketball game the other day and the stream was fine. Now I just need to get the Flirc programmed for the FireTV so I can go back to a single remote.

--SS

TheMonkeyKing
Gerbil

Tue May 10, 2016 9:22 am

Have you thought about getting the Pi3? They are in stock and the turnaround is about a week for delivery.

It is quite a bit more computing power and the OS code has stabilized.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2016 10:04 am

TheMonkeyKing wrote:
Have you thought about getting the Pi3? They are in stock and the turnaround is about a week for delivery.

It is quite a bit more computing power and the OS code has stabilized.

I have, but there still isn't DTS-MA or TrueHD pass through. So, not much reason to go with a 3 at the moment.

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 am

Isn't that just a software issue that will get fixed soon-ish, though?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2016 6:37 am

morphine wrote:
Isn't that just a software issue that will get fixed soon-ish, though?

Everything I have read says that it is a hardware limitation, at least on the earlier Pis, and there is will not be any support on any Pi.

--SS

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Thu May 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Now that you can access non-Amazon Store apps in the main app list, Kodi on a FireTV couldn't be a better solution. I've been using it for years...probably around 2008 or so on a soft-modded Xbox (of course it was still called XBMC then). Installing Kodi is also really easy now. There are some pretty convoluted guides out there about using adbFire and some other apps, but you don't need them anymore. Just install ES File Explorer and open http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/. Just select the latest APK for download (currently Jarvis 16.1) and opt to Install when it finishes downloading.

It'll take some configuration from there. I personally use the Aeon Nox skin, but that's just a personal preference.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 8:34 am

curtisb wrote:
Now that you can access non-Amazon Store apps in the main app list, Kodi on a FireTV couldn't be a better solution. I've been using it for years...probably around 2008 or so on a soft-modded Xbox (of course it was still called XBMC then). Installing Kodi is also really easy now. There are some pretty convoluted guides out there about using adbFire and some other apps, but you don't need them anymore. Just install ES File Explorer and open http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/. Just select the latest APK for download (currently Jarvis 16.1) and opt to Install when it finishes downloading.

It'll take some configuration from there. I personally use the Aeon Nox skin, but that's just a personal preference.

That is what is running in the living room. Only a 2.0 sound system there, so it is sufficient. It doesn't do DTS-MA of TrueHD either. I actually haven't been thrilled with the FireTV's stability for that matter. It seems to lose its network connection pretty frequently, usually in the middle of watching a show. :(

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Fri May 13, 2016 8:42 am

Are they FireTV sticks or boxes? If boxes, are they on wireless? I have four boxes in total, two of the original 2014 models and two of the newer 2015 models. The two newer models are wired, but the originals are on wireless and don't seem to have any issues.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 pm

curtisb wrote:
Are they FireTV sticks or boxes? If boxes, are they on wireless? I have four boxes in total, two of the original 2014 models and two of the newer 2015 models. The two newer models are wired, but the originals are on wireless and don't seem to have any issues.

Box. Wired. FireTV2.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Odd...I haven't experienced that with either of my FireTV2's. Sounds like it's worth contacting Amazon for a replacement.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Yeah you need either a new FireTV, router (or router port), or cat5 cable. I have had 0 problems with wired disconnections.

localhostrulez

Fri May 20, 2016 6:39 pm

I bought a 7" $50 fire tablet, and it kept having network issues. Turned out that the first one had a hardware problem, and the replacement was fine. (I get the feeling that Amazon cut QA a bit when making it this cheap.)

Of course, their support wasted a ton of my time before realizing that and replacing it, so...

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:51 am

So there was an update at some point that made accessing side loaded apps about a million times easier (they show up in the recent area and app area now). Good on Amazon. This little box just keeps getting better.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:35 am

Yeah, that happened back sometime in late April or early May. I removed FireStarter when I noticed that update (I had it installed so I could double tap the home button to start Kodi).

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:01 pm

I've been using a WDTV live and a USB wireless link to watch netflix on Toshiba Regza for quite some time. The TV blew out its tuner and in less than a month, the replacement tuner board I installed. So, I am switching back and forth between Netflix on the WDTV live and one a Zenith DTT901 Digital TV Tuner via the composite video port on the TV. I'm going to give Fire TV a try.

Edit: Any suggestions on how I could integrate a Digital tuner into Fire TV so I can watch the local channels in HD instead of this kluge using the composite video port?
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I've been using a WDTV live and a USB wireless link to watch netflix on Toshiba Regza for quite some time. The TV blew out its tuner and in less than a month, the replacement tuner board I installed. So, I am switching back and forth between Netflix on the WDTV live and one a Zenith DTT901 Digital TV Tuner via the composite video port on the TV. I'm going to give Fire TV a try.

Edit: Any suggestions on how I could integrate a Digital tuner into Fire TV so I can watch the local channels in HD instead of this kluge using the composite video port?

Afaik, there's no way to do this.

I think the closest you could get is having the tuner in another machine and using something MythTV to stream it to the FireTV.