Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Inspection Video Camera

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:51 am

Need to tap the Gerbil collective for a project. I need a video camera that I can attach to a ~30' pole and see the live video feed on a screen at the base of the pole. For reference, this is a pretty good example of what I'm trying to accomplish

This will be used where there is no internet connection available.
    There will also be no AC power available. The setup (not necessarily the camera) needs to carry it's own battery.
    Would like to be able to capture still shots. The higher the resolution the better. Good low light performance
    Prefer the entire system to be waterproof. Could probably jimmy something up if only the camera were waterproof.
    Can be wired or wireless to the monitoring device.
    Cost not really an issue. Can be in the thousands if it ticks all the boxes.

My initial thoughts were to use a backup camera like this one. The power supply is 12V DC which isn't impossible. Something wired would probably be more reliable but I'm not sure how picture captures would be handled in a system like that.

Would a GoPro be able to do this? I feel like GoPro offers above average high def video feed and 8-12MP stills. Waterproof, integrated battery, internal memory for stills, etc etc. Just not sure if it's possible to use a GoPro in this fashion.

Any ideas? Am I going down the wrong path?
Last edited by DPete27 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Re: Inspection Video Camera

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:00 pm

How about this?

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Many interchangeable lens cameras and large-sensor compacts can do what you ask, over wifi to a high-res phone or tablet, and many are light enough that they wouldn't be unwieldy on the end of a 30' pole. M4/3 cameras are relatively small in these categories, and can be fit with compact but relatively fast (f/1.7-1.8) prime lenses which will provide better light for video, as well as flashes that can allow you to stop the lenses down for more detail.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:39 pm

An Olympus OMD EM-5 with WiFi link to your phone or tablet could do the trick, and there are custom water-proof case/housings available. If you purchase one of the "EZ" series lenses, you can control the zoom remotely, too, or even swap it out if your magnification needs change.

Add a battery grip if you want to extend the runtime, or even modify one to run from a portable USB power source.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 pm

I chatted with GoPro tech support and apparently this is possible with their WiFi enabled cameras and the mobile app. The mobile app allows you to see a live feed from the camera. You can then use the app to take stills which are then saved to the camera. I don't want/need to save the video footage, so hopefully that's possible. Otherwise it would be a waste of memory space for my usage.

Are there any Gerbils that have a GoPro 3 or 4 that would be willing to give this a try? I'll be asking around the office tomorrow to see if any of my co-workers has one I can borrow to test before I buy. Need to make sure the still image quality is up to snuff.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:21 pm

I considered the GoPros before making a recommendation; mostly, you'll be limited by the fixed fisheye/wide-angle lens and small sensor. Assuming that the lens is suitable for your purpose, as I'd image that it would be too wide for inspection unless you can get right up on your subject, and assuming that 'low light' doesn't mean next to no light or you can rig suitable lighting, a GoPro could certainly work.

Of course, I'm talking in theoreticals- I've never had occasion to use one personally.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I got my hands on a GoPro Hero4 Session for testing.
-- Low light performance is actually fairly decent all things considered. I tested in some dark(ish) spots outside (taking a picture with the camera an arms length inside an 8" diameter tube, between objects, in the shade, etc) and I was able to see what I needed.
-- For proof of concept on the reach, I taped the camera to a 25' surveying level rod that we had in our office and took some pictures of our stock yard. The camera end was a bit wobbly at this distance, but certainly acceptable.
-- The reach test inadvertently exposed the WiFi range limitation between the camera and the App being able to see the video feed and control the camera shutter to be somewhere around 30 feet. GoPro's website states a 600' range with the SmartRemote, but using the remote I'd lose my ability to preview what I'm taking pictures of, so that won't suffice. Luckily I think 30' is about the max height that I'd need to use the camera. it does make me wonder what type of connection the smart remote is using to get 20x the range though....the camera only has WiFi and Bluetooth. The camera and app assumedly connect using WiFi since I can use the app without Bluetooth disabled on my phone, but not with WiFi disabled on my phone. I wasn't aware Bluetooth had that much range.
-- I'll probably get a cell phone holder that I can strap to the rod at chest height so I don't have to hold my phone with one hand and the rod in the other. The setup would mimic the system used in the video I linked in my OP.

Now it's just a matter of finding a suitable pole to strap this thing to. The 25' surveying rod was the best I could drum up after 2 hours of internet searching (there was a 35' option as well). Unfortunately these rods only collapse into about 5.5' and are fairly heavy duty for my usage. The heft is certainly usable if you put the base of the rod on the ground, but definitely not going to work if I need to reach out to access something better. Also the collapsed height isn't conducive to airline travel. Ideally the rod would collapse to ~2.5' so it can fit in my luggage. Not sure if something like that even exists at the length I need.

Another helpful add would be some sort of remote controlled tilt base. Swivel is achievable by turning the rod, but tilt can only be achieved by lowering the camera back to the user, adjusting the base of the camera, then extending it back up. While the limitation of manual tilt is not a show-stopper, it's certainly not convenient.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 am

Doing some more research last night it seems like every major camera company has their own app that can be used on select WiFi enabled cameras to see what's in the viewfinder and take a picture. Some have more available controls than others. As app range was a definite limitation on the GoPro, and speaking with Nikon and Sony recommend no further than 15 feet of range, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to try this with their WiFi camera and report back with usable range.

Also if anyone is interested, this 30' monopod is about the best I was able to find on the net thus far. It's $300 and comes with a cell phone holder.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:02 pm

What about this? Less than 48" collapsed, 28' extended, and enough rigidity to handle a flag in the wind, so...

http://www.flagsimporter.com/28ft-fiber ... aQodLzsFSg

If anything, I would suggest a fiberglass option just in case you accidentally lose control of this thing near an electric line. 30 feet is well above the RUS and NESC minimums for distribution lines, and even some transmission lines may dip that low at the centerline of sag, depending on the type of land use underneath.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

Project complete.
I ended up going with an Olympus TG-870 point and shoot camera. My company will be transitioning to use these as our primary field camera since they're waterproof and have GPS functionality. The WiFi range to control the camera (live view, settings, zoom, shutter, etc) is the best I've found so far at about 100 feet or more.
I used a 35 foot window cleaning pole because of the convenient clamping mechanisms, carbon fiber and fiberglass construction to keep weight to a minimum, and not electrically conductive. The tip of the pole is hollow aluminum with a Euro thread, but I was able to tap the inside for a 5/8-18 bolt. I welded a 1/4-20 bolt to the head of the 5/8" to mount the camera. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it works.
The camera is mounted to a ball head mount for manual tilt adjustments. At some point I'd like to try out this remote controlled mount so we don't have to lower the pole down to adjust camera angle.
A phone holder was modified to fit the 1.75" diameter base section of the pole. This give a good secure place to hold your phone (instead of in your hand) to allow use of both hands for maneuvering the pole/camera into position and not risk dropping your phone. We frequently work over rivers and lakes.
Image Image

PS. If anyone is curious, I tested the range of my Sony a6000 using Sony's app with live view and shutter control. It was able to reach out approximately 50 feet. YMMV depending on the phone used I'd imagine.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 am

It's a thing of beauty, nice work!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Good call on the window washing pole. I knew there was another extension-handle application I was missing.