Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Dinohampus
Gerbil
Topic Author

Is the Optical Block covered by warranty?

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:27 am

First off, sorry of this belongs in another forum (will close thread if so) but I am in the midst of buying a new projector and have a question with regards to warranty.

My current projector begun showing issues with the optical block on an LCD projector just after around 2 years use. A small yellow circle started developing in the middle, which only grew bigger and bigger with time.
Changing the lamp has no effect. According to customer support, changing the optical block seemed back then to be the only solution. However, being outside of warranty, the cost for such a fix through the official manufacturer were around $1000+

Since a lot of retailers offer extended warranties beyond the manufacturer's warranty, I wonder if the optical block will be covered through a warranty extension.
Is the deterioration of the optical block considered normal "wear and tear", thus not fully covered by a warranty?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Is the Optical Block covered by warranty?

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:12 pm

I don't have a lot of home-cinema projector experience but the two companies I manage have a dozen office presentation projectors of varying ages - most of the non-LED ones are now old enough that they've had one or more bulb replacements (figure 2000-5000 hours per bulb) and not a single one of them have ever developed the problem you're talking about.

I would therefore say that it's not a wear+tear issue but a serious defect and you would be right to request a replacement under any kind of warranty.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Dinohampus
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Is the Optical Block covered by warranty?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
...not a single one of them have ever developed the problem you're talking about.
I would therefore say that it's not a wear+tear issue but a serious defect and you would be right to request a replacement under any kind of warranty.

Thank you very much for the reply, Chrispy_. That's a relief to hear. Definitely feeling more comfortable now about making my next projector purchase, so this was a great help.