Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Mr Victor
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Security suggestions

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:38 am

I build custom computers for college students out of my garage. Recently I had a break-in (looks like they just booted in the side door :oops: ) and somebody stole 3 tower cases, 4 hard drives, and 2x 22" Dell monitors. I did not think to have any type of cameras or alarm installed on my garage.

I have an old alarm system in my house (garage is detached) that only works half the time. Im looking to upgrade the alarm system to include my garage and also add in security cameras. A bit lost as to where to look and what to get.

Anybody have a guide or advice? Does anybody have a specific type of camera system they like? Is it possible to integrate them with an alarm system?

Bates228
Gerbil

Re: Security suggestions

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 am

I'm really sorry for you. Hope that thief will be found and punished as he deserves. Anyway, I recommend you to set modern alarm system. And do not forget about your garage. If I were you I would not leave such valuable things without protection.  Better to pay for security services and avoid being thieved. 

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 am

Sorry for what happened to you man. Here's a guide sort of article I found that should help you out in choosing a security system: http://www.safewise.com/resources/how-to-choose-security-system 

This should help you making a choice and I would suggest you to go for a DIY one, otherwise it will be a little more expensive!

Mr Victor
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I forgot about asking the question here. I ended up getting referred to this company from another forum. They have a video on the different kinds of camera types on this page: https://www.cctvcameraworld.com/security-cameras.html

I had a decent experience with them.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

US, Canada, or elsewhere?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:56 pm

My experience with any kind of outdoor camera with a built in IR lamp is that at the right time of year it will attract swarms of spiders all wanting to build their webs in front of it. I hear the best solution is a separate IR lamp but haven't actually tried it. May not be a problem in your part of the world.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Game (hunting) cameras are a great, inexpensive solution.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 pm

I have Netgear Arlo (disclaimer I was a beta tester and received my set for free).
I like the system, I have it integrated with Samsung Smartthings and works well as an unmonitored security system.
Only issue is the IR camera goes through batteries every 3 months.
The non IR lasts about 9 months.