Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Elohim
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Choppy playback on laptop HDMI output to TV - General Discussion

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Hey Guys,

Over the years, it seems that each and every time I see someone connect up a laptop to a TV via HDMI to show video the playback is ALWAYS choppy.  I've seen at least 5 brands of laptop, low end, high end.  I've seen this playing streaming internet video, from a file like an mkv, and direct from a DVD in the laptop's DVD ROM.  In fact I don't believe I have ever seen a laptop stream video to a TV and it not be choppy.

Having said that, I hypothesize that the issue must related to how the video signal is sent to the TV, and not the performance capability of the laptop itself or the TV.  I think it's in the interface settings maybe of some sort?

I am posting this just for some general discussion of what might cause this and since it seems a universal problem, what might be the solution, if there is a single solution.  Please discuss and let me know if you have solved this problem for your particular laptop/TV combination over an HDMI connection.

Thanks!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Choppy playback on laptop HDMI output to TV - General Discussion

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:54 pm

A quick Google check indicates dozens of tech forum threads for this problem, so you're not alone.  The first suggestion everyone seems to try is to switch the external display to the primary monitor (not cloned or extended).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Elohim
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:57 pm

ludi wrote:
A quick Google check indicates dozens of tech forum threads for this problem, so you're not alone.  The first suggestion everyone seems to try is to switch the external display to the primary monitor (not cloned or extended).

Yep, I did see that one, and when I have a meeting next week with some folks to watch a video, I intent to try that one.  Thanks for the tip though.  It might also be interesting to know if a Linux or Mac laptop has the same issues, or maybe this is a Windows issue?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:21 pm

ludi wrote:

This has always been my attempted solution. Something about hardware video decoding not being supported for anything other than the primary display. On some notebooks it hasn't worked, but I've succeeded often enough that it's certainly worth a shot.