Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Re: Wanting new monitor, research ends in confusion

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Ifalna wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
4.5 feet from a 55" screen will keep you from ever seeing the entire UI. If I HAD to buy a new monitor right now I'd probably buy a generic 144Hz+ IPS and wait for the next wave of GSync monitors that are coming.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hi ... h_rate.htm <--Read that and rejoice

Yeah, I'm leaning more to the 49" version for that reason, though I could move back to 2m viewing distance if needed.

Not much interesting to see there, considering the absurd prices of the recent 4K HDR GSync screens. I don't expect the next wave to be any cheaper to be honest, weak ass AMD GPUs make Nvidias cards and by proxy, Gsync even more attractive and they will react by charging absurd premiums.

Considering that gaming is not the only thing I do on that screen (I have no TV for instance, so all video watching etc is currently done on my 21.5" BenQ), I am not sure whether I want to bother with 1440p.

cheesyking wrote:
It also suffers quite a bit from screen burn. It's not permanent, a couple of minutes of full screen video clears it and it fades over time anyway but it is a little annoying.

Why would an IPS panel have that kind of problem? Oo

The Sony should work fine.

For gaming: If you are back 1.5-2 meters, you shouldn't see much color shift at the edges (this is a VA panel, I believe). Input lag is fine (unless you game for a living). Smear/ghosting of fast moving images is acceptable.
For TV viewing: Great quality image, great contrast.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:44 am

Managed to visit a local dealer with a friend yesterday, in order to see many a TV in person.

Found both the 55" and 49" model and tested it for color shift at arms length (around 60cm).
I was lucky, the promotional material they played ha a unicolored blue background for an extended period of time.
There was definitely color shift in the edges but it was far less pronounced than I expected, even at these rather extreme distances.

I doubt that it would pose much of a problem in actual moving content and at usual viewing distances.
Also saw his Laptop IPS screen in the evening and I do have to say, that the silvery blacks would annoy me in the long run.

They also had an OLED playing a nightly flyby of Las Vegas... damn that thing looked amazing, even in the bright lights of the store.
If it wasn't for the stupid burn-in issue I'd definitely get one of those. >.<

Oh well, time to wait for the SCVs to gather enough minerals and then I hopefully get to close the book on the monitor issue for a few years until micro LED is affordable and ready. :D
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

the_grinch
Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Personally, I hate using a TV as a monitor. Until recently, I lived in a tiny apartment with my computer as my main screen (movies and gaming). I tried a TV as a monitor previously, and felt much too disconnected sitting far away from it (even 1.5m felt too far for me).

I have been using the ASUS PB258Q (don't know if it's available where you are) and I love it. I was afraid it was going to be too small (upgrading from a similar size to your current monitor), but I was not disappointed. Honestly, I don't think I would enjoy something at the 27" or more range. I used this 25" monitor for watching TV shows, movies, and playing games. I don't think the glow is an issue with IPS as long as you adjust it to a brightness level that's comfortable for you. I tried a lot of suggested settings for my monitor and ended up choosing a brightness level slightly lower than the average person's opinion, and it feels great on my eyes and looks wonderful.

You mentioned you play MMO's (I'm assuming RPG). I played a lot of WoW on this monitor and it looked GREAT. No complaints at all. Plenty of space to fit all of my hotbars and addons at 1440p. I also played LoL. Perfect amount of space as well. I wouldn't want more, and I wouldn't want less. Recently, however, I have gotten more serious in the competitive FPS scene. This is the ONLY area this monitor falls short for me. I needed high refresh rate to keep up with the competition. If you aren't competing at a high level in FPS games, though.... then I honestly would not bother spending the money on a high refresh 1440p monitor. It's too much of a premium.

I think the ASUS PB258Q is an awesome blend of 1440p (which a 1070 can handle), great colors (IPS), perfect size (25" -- not too small, not too big), and a great price (at least in USA). You aren't overpaying for a 27"+, and you aren't skimping out on the other features of the monitor. I do most of my computing on this monitor. The only thing I do on my new high refresh monitor is display my FPS game.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 am

Curved 1440p 120Hz (VA+ panel) 35" monitor, $516 (460 Euros) shipped to Germany.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:41 am

I guess I owe you guys a conclusion and thanks for all your help. :D
I got myself a shiny 55" X900F last Friday and what can I say, the experience is nothing short of amazing.

Desktop is huge (it make you realize just how many pixels 4K actually encompasses).

It's not wall mounted yet, so I am sitting ~80cm away from it when typing, not much of a big deal though because putting stuff in 1080p Windows nets you a 27" screen size.
Fullscreen gaming is pretty dang awesome, although I can only do that in 1080p (my poor 1070 can't handle 4K at decent FPS :D )

Movies look stunning, even the "old" BluRay discs.
Screen uniformity is much less of an issue in moving content than I would have thought.
I tried 1080p @ 120 Hz and have to face defeat: I can't feel much difference to 60Hz. 30->60 was a gamechanger, 60->120 is barely noticeable. Probably because I mostly play slower paced titles.

Caveats:
Despite 4:4:4 chroma and enhanced HDMI, text is not as clear as on my older monitor, there seem to be some artifacts between the letters. Not sure I'd want to spend work days in Excel or Word on this. For the little internet reading and working I do at home it will do nicely though.
I would not recommend doing color critical work full screen because color/contrast shift does exist and is much more noticeable in still images.
Reflections are somewhat of an issue because black is so dark. When lots of dark scenes are involved, dimming the room is recommended.
Looks ... slightly ridiculous in my 16m² apartment. *chuckles*

The Final Fantasy window is 1080p so ~27" in size. More would be detrimental during raiding.

Bottom line: happy with my purchase and happy that I didn't get one of them small 27" gaming monitors. :P
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 am

When I had an apartment up in Virginia a couple of years ago my wife wanted a TV and we figured a 40" would do. When we got to the store, the 40" TVs were the same price as the 55" and there was a nice Samsung on sale sooooooo...

The upside is that it fit into the spot we wanted to place it in (barely) and we had drive in movies every night!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW