Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Wanting new monitor, research ends in confusion

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:14 pm

CScottG wrote:
Not really.  It depends on the game, and the settings.
My guess is that most games (that can display UHD) are probably playable with most settings in the "medium-to-low" GPU-strain category with a 1070 or 980ti with a few graphics settings at "low" or just off.  For the most part the resolution itself is just a LOT more important than those extra settings. (This of course is *not* with respect to "competitive" game-play, and particularly of the 1st person shooter variety: at that point you really want a much higher frame rate than what would be considered "acceptable". It should still be fine with regular game-play and 1st person shooters.)

If I had a 4K monitor, I'd run at 4->1 pixel interpolation and play games at 1080p. The stress on the graphics card would be far less and I could run at max settings. Then again, not all 4K monitors apparently support that option.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Vhalidictes:

"Nothing was below $700. High Refresh + Large Size + High Resolution  = pick any two."

Very true.  BUT - when all three are present they represent the very best of what's available - like maybe the top 2% (..or perhaps it's more accurate to say something like the top .05%).

integer
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:10 am

CScottG wrote:
integer wrote:
 ..(assuming my desk can hold it)..

Always consider wall-mounting!

Well, my desk is a IKEA MICKE - quite limited for space there. :(
(My build, thanks to TR) i5-3570k | P8Z77-V | DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB) | 7950 | 850 EVO 500 GB | m4 128 GB | Blue SE16 500 GB | Green SE16 1 TB | Xonar DG | M12II 520 W | 550D | LP2475W | Blu-Ray | Shine Zero | MX310 | Windows 10 Home

seankay
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:56 am

Wall mounting is the best option but you will have to dump this for that which won't be feasible for you!

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm

integer wrote:
CScottG wrote:
integer wrote:
 ..(assuming my desk can hold it)..

Always consider wall-mounting!

Well, my desk is a IKEA MICKE - quite limited for space there. :(

WOW, talk about backing yourself into a corner (..err, options-wise?). :o

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm

..deleted double post.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:56 pm

Oh wow, yeah.
That is *not* a computer desk.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:33 pm

Add me to the list of folks finding this thread helpful. I've been using an old Viewsonic monitor at home with a paltry 1280x1024 resolution for the last 8 years. I'm pretty sure I don't care enough (or have the video cards) to run Gsync/Freesync; the amount of gaming I do is limited. I was actually mulling the two Dell picks from TR's peripheral article: http://techreport.com/review/30771/tr-o ... ff-picks/4

Both the Dell U2717D and Dell UP2716D are pretty pricey (especially on my very modest income), but I do think the investment would last for a very long time. I doubt I actually need a 10-bit panel, it would just be a nice thing to have. Not sure if I can justify an extra $200 just for that though. This would mostly be used for Netflix, occasional gaming, lots of coding and graph-making in R/Python, and excel work. By no means am I professional artist, but I do a lot of big-data representation and there is a huge benefit to being able to display large amounts of data across a whole color spectrum. At work I have a dual-monitor set up with a Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS) and ASUS VH242H (TN) and the difference between the two is night and day.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Keep in mind that 10bit is still in it's infancy stages. You need very special programs that support 10bit in order to get anything from it.

Not sure how quickly 10bit color will get mainstream adoption (and thus more compatible software), since the panels are still quite pricey.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Ifalna wrote:
Keep in mind that 10bit is still in it's infancy stages. You need very special programs that support 10bit in order to get anything from it.

Not sure how quickly 10bit color will get mainstream adoption (and thus more compatible software), since the panels are still quite pricey.

Oh. Well in that case the choice is a lot easier :P

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 pm

So after some further perusing, the Dell 2515H is probably what I am circling around http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm It is more or less identical to the U2717D except in a 25" screen and not a 27". For me that's a pretty livable compromise, and it saves ~$100. I'm in no immediate rush to buy a monitor ASAP, so I'll be keeping my eyes on the upcoming holiday sales to see if I can snag either the 2717D or 2515H at a discount.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm not sure this will benefit anyone, but there is this monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 00524&SID=

http://www.overclock.net/t/1607952/qnix ... -free-sync

..and because it's Freesync capable you can look at Fury and Fury X deals (LIMITED TIME):

Fury X: $320 (w/rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 00524&SID=

Fury: $270

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:22 am

Finally got to see an IPS screen in action in a darkened room yesterday.
My friend ordered the MSI gaming laptop with the 1070 insde.

Nice panel, although I feel that people overdramatize the "better colors" thing quite a bit. We had it standing next to his old TN LG panel and while the colors definitely had more punch, the lappi screen was also running at an uncomfortable brightness. Tone that down and the colors quickly fade too.

The silvery "IPS glow" was definitely visible at the edges and got more pronounced when I watched him game standing at the side. Not that much of a deal on a 15" screen but I can imagine it to be pretty annoying on a larger panel. As if the screen cannot display black at all. Only shades of silver.

Screen had 0 backlight bleeding, as far as I could see.

Color stability at different viewing angles was pretty awesome though.

Now.. where to see a VA panel in action ._.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

I just purchased/setup one of these for my father:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hisense-43 ... zWELuoFbMA

It's cheap, will do 4k 60 Hz w/HDR, looks fantastic (even at 100% scaling - he uses reading glasses), tiny bezel, very good sound, and has a 4 year warranty.

I'm sure the input lag is absolute ****.. but the lag was already **** using Synergy - and of course he doesn't game so it's a largely moot point for him.

-I think the most amusing thing is that because the bezel is so small it kind of looks tiny, and smaller monitors next to it look almost useless, quite ironic when I consider that most of my childhood was spent watching TV on nothing larger than a 20" screen (..and often only on a 13").

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:55 pm

CScottG wrote:
-I think the most amusing thing is that because the bezel is so small it kind of looks tiny, and smaller monitors next to it look almost useless, quite ironic when I consider that most of my childhood was spent watching TV on nothing larger than a 20" screen (..and often only on a 13").

Add to that the 50Hz CRT flicker... ugh... no clue how we coped or even managed to enjoy content like that. :D

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Ifalna wrote:
CScottG wrote:

Add to that the 50Hz CRT flicker... ugh... no clue how we coped or even managed to enjoy content like that. :D

:lol: 
Don't forget the "glow" that would eclipse even the most offensive IPS panel today, or the RGB "pixels" that were visible from more than 15 feet away, or the fish-bowl distortion, or the thick glass diffusion, or tube-whine, or the amount of heat they put out, etc., etc..

Still, I was quite proud of the NEC Frog Design 15" monitor that I had in the '90s - best of it's kind at that time.  (..and from there I moved onto an SGI LCD - which was soooo "lux"; I mean it was an L C D - AND it had a monster resolution of 1600 x 1024 that required the best video card at the time just to output at the native res.. :P )

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 am

Dang it, 1.5 years since I opened the topic. Did a bit of research the last few days and the selection of G-Sync screens is still ridiculously limited. They still sell the same QA issue plagues models for 800 bucks.

Sheesh, I really want to move on from my old 21.5" 1080p TN panel, but apparently the best the industry can do is this:http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm

Any new Input / discoveries on your end you'd like to share?
Edit: I do have a 1070 GTX, so Freesync is out. ^^

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 am

Ifalna wrote:
I have a GeForce GTX1070, so FreeSync is out. ^^
Since NVidia finally fixed the bug in their drivers that caused GeForce cards to misbehave with high-refresh displays lacking their expensive proprietary G-Sync module, you could certainly take advantage of the large selection of high-refresh monitors available that include FreeSync (VESA standard adaptive sync).
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:51 am

Ifalna wrote:
Dang it, 1.5 years since I opened the topic. Did a bit of research the last few days and the selection of G-Sync screens is still ridiculously limited. They still sell the same QA issue plagues models for 800 bucks.

Sheesh, I really want to move on from my old 21.5" 1080p TN panel, but apparently the best the industry can do is this:http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm

Any new Input / discoveries on your end you'd like to share?
Edit: I do have a 1070 GTX, so Freesync is out. ^^

All depends what you want vs. need. I had a Dell 21.5" P2214h 1920x1080 eIPS, a decent screen. I was looking for something that had everything for a decent price but ended up empty handed. So instead of focusing on wants I focused on needs, good color, viewing angles, ppi, resolution, stand. I ended up with the BenQ BL2420PT, and I have been very happy with it over the Dell. True 8-bit, IPS, good stand, built in speakers for the days you don't want to wear headphones but don't have dedicated speakers, 2560x1440 @ 23.8" so everything is nice and sharp, the anti-glare coating is lighter than the dell so it helps make everything look cleaner. It also comes with a headphone clip/stand, but it's right behind on the stand so could be a bit awkward without some space behind the screen.

I play games, older ones like Borderlands 2, etc. and have no issues with the screen for that either. 120Hz, freesync/g-sync, etc. would have been nice, but for the price I paid I am very satisfied with the screen, I was thinking of getting another for dual monitors, but the current desk is too small.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Ifalna wrote:
I have a GeForce GTX1070, so FreeSync is out. ^^
Since NVidia finally fixed the bug in their drivers that caused GeForce cards to misbehave with high-refresh displays lacking their expensive proprietary G-Sync module, you could certainly take advantage of the large selection of high-refresh monitors available that include FreeSync (VESA standard adaptive sync).

Yes but even if I buy a 120Hz display, as soon as I drop below 60 FPS (that happens quite a bit even at 1080p), wouldn't Vsync knock me down to 40FPS or so?
I was explicitly interested in GSync because I rarely have overkill GPU hardware. GSync interests me more than high refresh rate because of that.

As for the want vs need: I do not need anything, my current screen (bought in a pinch for a meagerly 150 bucks back then b/c my old ones capacitors died, fixed those for another 10 bucks and it still runs as my second monitor 8 years later :D ) still works perfectly after 8 years, has no dead pixels and faithfully does it's job.
So, in all honesty: it's all about that want.

To be frank: I don't have a problem paying 700€ for a screen that lasts me 10 years or so. But paying 700 only to have to put up with a rather extreme QA lottery umm.. no thanks.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:29 am

Hi there, It's me again. :D

Currently I am thinking about going the TV route. The monitor industry doesn't seem to bring out what I want.

Since I can move my workplace rather freely (table and chair have wheels) the screen being too big should not much of an issue when I pin it to the wall.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f
No GSync but it's a 120Hz panel. I am planning to feed it 1080p @ 120Hz, since 4K is out of the question for my 1070.

What do you guys think?
Anybody have experience using a TV as PC monitor?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:53 am

Just looking at the price of that TV and seeing what you get, I can’t imagine the value is good versus a gaming monitor. A TV like that can work, but you can get a decent gaming monitor with at least those specs for less than a grand. If nothing else you’ll sit far away from the TV so it’s relative size will be small (i.e. not a full 55”). You can’t sit up close even if you wanted to; the review says the picture degrades with increased viewing angle, which means you have to move back to see anything.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 am

True, relative size won't be that much different, depending on the seating distance. I plan to sit around 1.5m from the screen.
Bonus perk would be to have a big screen for movie watching though.

I'll still have to go into a shop and assess the viewing angles in person, difficult to get a picture for that from a YT video or a review text. That being said: even if I went for a gaming monitor, I'd probably shoot for a VA panel, so If I were to get a 32" and put it on my desk, I'd still have the same angle problems.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:33 am

4.5 feet from a 55" screen will keep you from ever seeing the entire UI. If I HAD to buy a new monitor right now I'd probably buy a generic 144Hz+ IPS and wait for the next wave of GSync monitors that are coming.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hi ... h_rate.htm <--Read that and rejoice

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:20 am

I got myself a 43" Acer monitor (ET430Kwmiiqppx) and I'm glad I didn't get anything bigger. For me at normal viewing distance it completely fills my vision, anything bigger would have been a waste. The very edges of the screen are just about on the limit of the viewing angle the panel works with.

It also suffers quite a bit from screen burn. It's not permanent, a couple of minutes of full screen video clears it and it fades over time anyway but it is a little annoying.

I don't do a lot of gaming on it and I've never had a good monitor in my life so maybe I'm just used to crappy panels but it works for me.

All that said though, it's still one of my favourite electronic purchases of all time!
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:30 am

Kretschmer wrote:
4.5 feet from a 55" screen will keep you from ever seeing the entire UI. If I HAD to buy a new monitor right now I'd probably buy a generic 144Hz+ IPS and wait for the next wave of GSync monitors that are coming.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hi ... h_rate.htm <--Read that and rejoice

Yeah, I'm leaning more to the 49" version for that reason, though I could move back to 2m viewing distance if needed.

Not much interesting to see there, considering the absurd prices of the recent 4K HDR GSync screens. I don't expect the next wave to be any cheaper to be honest, weak ass AMD GPUs make Nvidias cards and by proxy, Gsync even more attractive and they will react by charging absurd premiums.

Considering that gaming is not the only thing I do on that screen (I have no TV for instance, so all video watching etc is currently done on my 21.5" BenQ), I am not sure whether I want to bother with 1440p.

cheesyking wrote:
It also suffers quite a bit from screen burn. It's not permanent, a couple of minutes of full screen video clears it and it fades over time anyway but it is a little annoying.

Why would an IPS panel have that kind of problem? Oo

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 am

Ultrawide is better at filling your vision IMHO. It also helps use more of the screen if you do alot of movie watching.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I think a fast 27" 2560x1440 IPS + a cheap TV is your best bet right now. 4K is still an idiot trap for gaming, and 1080p is no way to be productive. I have a 21:9 3440x1440 screen and sort of regret that choice, as most media is 16:9 and you pay a lot (in $$s and features) for the measly extra 30% real estate. With a fast IPS on your desk and a big separate TV, you can specialize your screens to match your content. LED TVs are so ludicrously cheap right now ($<300) that they're an easy add-on to any setup for movies and media. Right now you can get a 27" IPS gaming monitor and 50-inch 4K TV for ~$700.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
I have a 21:9 3440x1440 screen and sort of regret that choice, as most media is 16:9 and you pay a lot (in $$s and features) for the measly extra 30% real estate.

You must watch more TV content than movies.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:33 am

Even movie content is usually 16:9 from streaming services...unless I specifically buy widescreen content from amazon.