Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Old Analog video sources to HDMI upconversion

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:09 am

So, I'm looking for advice on a (preferably relatively low latency) switch for my legacy gaming systems and old Laser Disk player.
The inputs I'm looking to upconvert are 3 component, 3 composite and 2 s-video inputs.

Historically I've been using my AVR for this, but upconversion is a feature migrating up the cost chain with each generation, and the latency was never that great (this really hurts in games like battle toads or megaman). So, I'm looking for a standalone solution, preferably one that I don't have to either a) get one per console, or b) change the hookups each time.

Any suggestions welcome.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Old Analog video sources to HDMI upconversion

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Something like this?

No idea if it will meet your latency expectations, but I do have an older, single-input version of a Monoprice hdmi converter to run my N64 into the receiver and it works fine for my needs.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:56 am

Micomsoft upscalers are what you're looking for. A while back I did considerable research to determine that this one company's products are the only viable option for getting oldschool 240p game console signals onto a modern digital TV. I have an XRGB-3 I've been meaning to get set up, currently most of my spare time is going into getting my apartment ready for a visitor but I'll make a note to do something with it and report results in the near future. The Framemeister is newer, cheaper, easier to configure, and easier to find, but it comes at the expense of extra latency.

wingless
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:41 am

For older game systems, it's recommended you get European SCART cables for them and convert the pure RGB signal coming out it. With the exception of the original NES, all NTSC and PAL consoles up to the Dreamcast (which was VGA capable) could output RGB with the right cable. To get the best analog to HDMI conversion, you want to start with the best source of color and sync, RGB.

The XRGB MINI Framemeister is the best converter/scaler for multiple formats to HDMI. You'll just need to purchase the correct cables for your US/Japanese (NTSC) or European (PAL) systems. The My Life In Gaming  YouTube channel has made individual tutorial videos for most consoles, the Framemeister, and a lesson on RGB/Sync and various video formats. Their information is helpful for any kind of device with analog output, and not just retro consoles.

XRGB Mini Framemeister Review and Tutorial

Retro Gaming Cables

I use SCART for my SNES and Sega Saturn as they both output pure RGB which converts to HDMI beautifully. I'm speaking from first-hand knowledge. There are cheaper alternatives than the Framemeister to convert the 240P that the consoles output. They work especially well when you use 720P or 4K resolutions which 240P divides into evenly (lower latency scaling). 1080P isn't an even upscale from 240P which introduces a ton of lag on anything but a Framemeister or more expensive alternative.

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: What model Laser Disc player do you have? There were some models that output RGB as well with the proper cables!
Last edited by wingless on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

wingless
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:48 am

Check out the My Life In Gaming series on retro consoles/analog video formats and HDMI conversion. The info is pure gold!

Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:33 pm

I use my Denon receiver for upcomverting neS and laserdisc to 1080p. Works pretty well too. The projector doesn't do Duck bunt unfortunately.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:29 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Duck bunt

Got a really bizarre mental image with that one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am

Wingless, thank you for posting those videos.  Though I will never personally undertake such a project, it was rewarding to see all of those old games' composite signals converted and scaled.  Some of the differences in quality before/after are jaw dropping!  I will probably pick up one of the new NES Classic mini systems this holiday season for 1.) the sake of simplicity and 2.) the nostalgia factor.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Duck bunt

Got a really bizarre mental image with that one.

Lol.

wingless
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 am

Pagey wrote:
Wingless, thank you for posting those videos.  Though I will never personally undertake such a project, it was rewarding to see all of those old games' composite signals converted and scaled.  Some of the differences in quality before/after are jaw dropping!  I will probably pick up one of the new NES Classic mini systems this holiday season for 1.) the sake of simplicity and 2.) the nostalgia factor.

A lot of Laser Disc players were RGB capable as well. The SCART interface was common for all types of media devices in Europe back in the day. I posted the videos with the intention of showing you that. Basically, you want to convert the purest analog signal that you can get, and that's RGB in its various forms.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion. I will be pursuing SCART or other RGB cables for all my legacy consoles.
I apologize for not responding sooner to the great information.

wingless
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Check out these two sources for the highest quality SCART cables.

Retro Gaming Cables UK

Retro Console Accessories

All my cables are from one of those two except my Sega Saturn cable. The Saturn cable is from Amazon and is so cheaply shielded, I get a huge amount of electrical buzz in the audio. I'm now going to buy a legit one from Retro Console Accessories ASAP.

They're worth every penny.