Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wanted: Monitor (Rehash yet again)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 am

I'll keep this short since we seem to be rehashing this over and over. So I am in the market for a new monitor.

Some items I want:
27"
G-sync

I have been eyeballing the ASUS ROG PG279Q but the reviews scare me. It seems its a hit or miss with this monitor. Some get perfect ones while others get not so perfect. I've looked over the October Peripheral guide and it also lists:

Dell S2716DG
Acer XB271HK (which is 4k and I dont think i could take advangae of it right now)

Are there any other comparable monitors that I am overlooking?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Wanted: Monitor (Rehash yet again)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:44 am

Na matter what screen you buy, you WILL have to take part in the panel lottery. Buy and send it back if it turns out to be crap.

Imho, all options so far are rather "meh" if you want High Refresh rate, which mostly puts you into the ugly and overpriced "gamer" segment. 
If s/o put a gun to my head I'd probably go with the Dell 27" TN Gsync model.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:09 am

Check out TFT Central for individual monitor features and reviews.  There is also an Acer IPS 144Hz G-sync monitor that uses the same panel as the Asus (which like the Asus used to be a hit or miss based on individual unit - not sure on current revisions).
The Dell is a TN panel, if that matters to you.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

+1 for TFTCentral.co.uk, though they cover only a small portion of the available monitors :(

Check pricing and availability of the following two options:
Acer XF270HU (freesync, 144Hz IPS)
Acer XG270HU (freesync, 144Hz TN)

Sorry, ignore me, you are after G-Sync
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:49 pm

tanker27 wrote:

I have been eyeballing the ASUS ROG PG279Q but the reviews scare me. It seems its a hit or miss with this monitor. Some get perfect ones while others get not so perfect. I've looked over the October Peripheral guide and it also lists:

Dell S2716DG
Acer XB271HK (which is 4k and I dont think i could take advangae of it right now)

Are there any other comparable monitors that I am overlooking?

The Dell S2716DG is closer to the Asus PG278Q than the PG279Q, as they both use 144 Hz 8-bit TN panels instead of the 165 Hz 8-bit IPS panel on the PG279Q. I have the PG278Q and am quite happy with its performance as a gaming, video and all-around desktop monitor. The Dell can be had for ~$500-540 quite frequently during sales, so I think it's worth finding a shortlist of monitors and then waiting for a sale to come up on one of them.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
so I think it's worth finding a shortlist of monitors and then waiting for a sale to come up on one of them.

I wasn't interested in variable-refresh monitors when I replaced mine, so I don't have any suggestions other than reinforcing this point.

Many products are so similar that the logo is the most noticeable difference.

With the holiday season coming, there should be a great deal on at least one model that will satisfy you. And many shops offer extended return/exchange policies around the holidays, just in case.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:25 pm

I own a PG279Q and I guess "won" the panel lottery. I think it's worth giving it a go as long as you're willing to send back a panel you don't think is good enough. I won't go to TN so I can't say much on the 278Q.

FWIW the reviews scared me too. Just get over that if you want it. I was happy enough with the first one I got to keep it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 pm

It's an older model.. but it is: G-Sync, IPS, and 144 Hz.

Depends on store location for pickup (..change the store location):
http://www.frys.com/product/8565849
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... lf_pqs:EAE

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 am

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
With the holiday season coming, there should be a great deal on at least one model that will satisfy you. And many shops offer extended return/exchange policies around the holidays, just in case.

This is what I am banking on.

DancinJack wrote:
I own a PG279Q and I guess "won" the panel lottery. I think it's worth giving it a go as long as you're willing to send back a panel you don't think is good enough. I won't go to TN so I can't say much on the 278Q.

FWIW the reviews scared me too. Just get over that if you want it. I was happy enough with the first one I got to keep it.

Yeah the reviews scare me its like for every "Mine is perfect" there is a "mine was rubbish" Post.

How much configuration changes did you have to do after getting it out of the box? I am sure there's a guide for optimal settings somewhere.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for their input.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 am

tanker27 wrote:
Yeah the reviews scare me its like for every "Mine is perfect" there is a "mine was rubbish" Post.

If it's any consolation: You're not the only one. I too was like "800€ and then I still have to HOPE that I am lucky?! Nah thanks."
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:12 pm

tanker27 wrote:
How much configuration changes did you have to do after getting it out of the box? I am sure there's a guide for optimal settings somewhere.

Mostly nothing. I just use TFTCentral to find an ICC profile for the apps that can take advantage of it, and then calibrate based on their settings for a starting point. Adjust as I see fit after that.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg279q.htm
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:10 am

DancinJack wrote:

I pulled the trigger, it arrives today so we will see how this goes. Hoping to the great spaghetti monster in the sky I won the panel lottery.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Be sure to let us know how it plays out. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:50 am

So I got the PG279Q Last Friday. The response I have is OMG! This thing is pure beauty. I seem to have won the panel lottery as there is no backlight bleed and no dead pixels. (well there's a little bleed in the lower right but I suspects this is from the LED light that is situated there.) I bought it from New Egg btw.

I proceed to load up my most played games; WOW, Overwatch, Witcher 3, Dishonored 2 and its Like night and day coming from a 21" 1080 monitor. Also G-Sync is not a gimmick it actually works and the results are nothing short of beautiful!

I am a very happy owner.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 am

That's good to hear, congrats!

Man I want one too but dang it 800€ is a crapton of cash to spend on pure indulgence. >.<

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:21 am

Yeah the 800+ was pure indulgence. I admit it. I used some of this years bonus toward it. Its going to be something I keep an use for a long time. Infact my current 180 monitor was a replacement for a 21" CRT, that tells you how long I have had that!

Everyday I look at it and it gets better and better. I used the settings off TFTcentral for it. But it makes me wonder if I can get to look even better by using one of those color calibration tools. I wonder if spending money on it would be well worth it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')