Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

How can I test Freesync Range?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:18 pm

I just got the CF791 (IT'S GORGEOUS http://techreport.com/news/30577/upcomi ... -ultrawide) despite not knowing its Freesync range. I tried playing a few games and everything looks smooth to my untrained eye down to 40-45fps or so, but I can't tell exactly when Freesync stops and <30fps occurs. Additionally, this monitor has two modes of Freesync (Standard Engine and Ultimate Engine) and I have no idea what the difference is.

Is there a surefire way to test what the Freesync range is?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: How can I test Freesync Range?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:37 pm

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/so ... freesync#5
AMD's FreeSync page says that your monitor does 48-100 Hz and does support LFC.

You might try CRU to expand the range to 40-100 Hz if LFC isn't working out of the box.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:49 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync#5

You might try CRU to expand the range to 40-100 Hz if LFC isn't working out of the box.

Perfect, thanks! I've used CRU before and AMD's utility even has monitor tweaking built in now.

So uh, how do I test if LFC is working out of the box? lol. I wonder if that's why I perceived everything to be mostly OK down through 40fps or so. It's never a jarring transition like changing vsync harmonics.

Edit: http://120hzmonitors.com/wp-content/upl ... sation.jpg
According to this I don't have to enable it like I have to enable Freesync. I'm going to assume it's working already because honestly, the games look fantastic even below 48fps.

Prion
Gerbil

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Wow big aside but I didn't realize ToastyX was still around, I remember that name from the Impulse Tracker scene and I think it was the early 00s if not the late 90s last time I heard it.

Kretschmer
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync#5

Perfect, thanks! I've used CRU before and AMD's utility even has monitor tweaking built in now.

So uh, how do I test if LFC is working out of the box? lol. I wonder if that's why I perceived everything to be mostly OK down through 40fps or so. It's never a jarring transition like changing vsync harmonics.

Edit: http://120hzmonitors.com/wp-content/upl ... sation.jpg
According to this I don't have to enable it like I have to enable Freesync. I'm going to assume it's working already because honestly, the games look fantastic even below 48fps.

Does your monitor display the current refresh rate in its OSD?  My MG279Q does.  I can confirm LFC by watching for sub-minimum FPS (50, in my case) and comparing that number to the current refresh rate.  34 FPS with LFC shows as 68Hz, for example.

RandyFO1
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 am

Very useful, thank you so much!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 am

ToastyX's CRU, obviously.

You can run the G-Sync pendulum demo which has sliders for 0-240FPS and I found that really useful to confirm that Freesync LFC was working properly.
You can also find the AMD wind-turbine demo floating around but it isn't as flexible as the Nvidia pendulum demo in terms of options.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:40 am

In the Radeon Settings app if you hover over the Freesync toggle (while you're at the higher refresh rate) it will also tell you what your range is.
Meow.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am

LostCat wrote:
In the Radeon Settings app if you hover over the Freesync toggle (while you're at the higher refresh rate) it will also tell you what your range is.

Oh perfect! It's reading 48-100Hz as advertised. Thanks for the tip!

proceeds to hover over every possible icon in Radeon Settings, hoping for more easter eggs

madmanmarz
Gerbil

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 pm

How do you adjust the minimum range in OSD or the AMD driver? I have mine down to 30 from 48 using a driver I made but that would be simpler as I have to update the driver every time I update graphics drivers. 

Gonna try to see if the pendulum demo shows LFC working, I'm on a 34um67 with a 30-75hz freesync range so it should work. 

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 pm

madmanmarz wrote:
How do you adjust the minimum range in OSD or the AMD driver? I have mine down to 30 from 48 using a driver I made but that would be simpler as I have to update the driver every time I update graphics drivers. 

Gonna try to see if the pendulum demo shows LFC working, I'm on a 34um67 with a 30-75hz freesync range so it should work. 

Are you suggesting you are simply changing the minimum supported refresh rate of the monitor with FreeSync by editing a driver config file? This seems crazy if you are. I realize you can "OC" displays refresh rates to a certain level, but it seems odd to be able to bring the display down by 18hz minimum. If it could have been done in a driver from the start, why didn't they do it?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | MSI 7850 | 850 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x