Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Dell 4K oled monitor cancelled - again

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:51 pm

"We took advantage of our presence in Las Vegas to question Dell about the availability of the famous monitor Oled UltraSharp UP3017Q presented last year and the chopper has fallen: this model will not come out, it has simply been canceled."

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/dell-ultrasharp-up3017q-p30745/moniteur-32-pouces-oled-dell-est-finalement-annule-n59151.html
Last edited by danny e. on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Dell 4K oled monitor cancelled

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Large Panel OLED screens: the Duke Nukem Forever of display technologies, or the Half-Life 3 of display technologies?

lmc5b
Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:46 pm

This seems weird to me, as LG keeps announcing more OLED TVs, even "budget" alternatives. They're not cheap, but it's promising, and those are 55" 4k panels.
Could the problem be ppi rather than just size?

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Well, that's a shame.  I'm getting a bit bored of my U3011's and wanted something big and gorgeous and 4K to replace them.  I can't read French but hopefully it just means that specific model is cancelled and there will be something else to take its place.  I utterly hate LCD screens after getting an OLED smartphone.  Oh, those gorgeous colours and DEEP black level!  I loathe the IPS screen on my Christmas present iPad Air 2 but at least that's a tax write-off and something I need for work.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Pancake wrote:
I can't read French but hopefully it just means that specific model is cancelled and there will be something else to take its place. 

Chrome?   Not a lot of detail in the article but it does sound like they talked to Dell and got the news from them.
Seems like panel issues.  Article is not clear who was providing the panels. 

"It must be said that with a sale price of $ 5,000, this monitor had to be exemplary. But according to its manufacturer, it was not. Without giving us the technical details of the difficulties encountered, the representative of Dell simply pointed out a drift of colors when the monitor was looked at the sides (as is the case on Samsung smartphones), without more precision. It is certainly not this detail alone that motivated Dell to cancel its product, but the facts are there: the monitor will not come out. "

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't OLED panels still have some considerable downsides? The last I looked into it there were still concerns over longevity and color shifting over time. It seems like the manufacturing it's self is mostly a solved problem, but the underlying technology still needs some work.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:29 am

I don't think that any display technology that suffers from burn-in is ready to be a computer monitor. Before anyone mentions CRTs, yes, I know that burn in was a problem with certain types of CRT displays, but color CRT computer monitors actually seemed far more resistant to that kind of thing than plasma and even OLED displays.  
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:22 am

Redocbew wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't OLED panels still have some considerable downsides? The last I looked into it there were still concerns over longevity and color shifting over time. It seems like the manufacturing it's self is mostly a solved problem, but the underlying technology still needs some work.

jackbomb wrote:
I don't think that any display technology that suffers from burn-in is ready to be a computer monitor. Before anyone mentions CRTs, yes, I know that burn in was a problem with certain types of CRT displays, but color CRT computer monitors actually seemed far more resistant to that kind of thing than plasma and even OLED displays.  

This is it, in a nutshell. It ain't ready for the kind of static output that dominates desktop computing, where CRTs had a 'degaussing' function that would eliminate any 'burn-in' that accumulated.

(remember that screensavers were created as a software solution to help deal with the CRT burn-in problem, and they've stuck with us, but they weren't even necessary for the last decade or so of CRT use)

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

jackbomb wrote:

This is it, in a nutshell. It ain't ready for the kind of static output that dominates desktop computing, where CRTs had a 'degaussing' function that would eliminate any 'burn-in' that accumulated.

(remember that screensavers were created as a software solution to help deal with the CRT burn-in problem, and they've stuck with us, but they weren't even necessary for the last decade or so of CRT use)

Degaussing doesn't remove burn-in. It just removes any coloring issues arising from EMI sources. Burn-in was only an issue with CRTs that displayed static images for days at a time with no rest.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:48 am

Krogoth wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Degaussing doesn't remove burn-in. It just removes any coloring issues arising from EMI sources.

Close, but not quite.

The problem that degaussing was intended to solve was residual magnetization of the shadow mask, caused by external static magnetic fields (not EMI). This residual magnetism would deflect the electron beams from their intended path, resulting in color shifts as the beams hit the wrong phosphor dots. A magnetized shadow mask was typically the result of nearby speakers with unshielded magnets, or permanent magnets in toys, fridge magnets, and the like.

The magnetic fields from EMI -- being much weaker, and alternating in nature rather than static -- would not tend to result in any residual magnetization of the shadow mask.

Related CRT trivia: The Earth's magnetic field -- while not strong enough to produce problematic magnetization of the shadow mask -- can cause perceptible (a degree or two) rotation of the screen image if the monitor is oriented with the electron beams parallel to the field (i.e. with the screen facing north or south). I remember pointing this out to a co-worker back in the day, after they mentioned that their screen image was slightly rotated. I swiveled the monitor 90 degrees on their desk, and the rotation disappeared. Really freaked them out. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Pancake wrote:
Well, that's a shame.  I'm getting a bit bored of my U3011's and wanted something big and gorgeous and 4K to replace them.  I can't read French but hopefully it just means that specific model is cancelled and there will be something else to take its place.  I utterly hate LCD screens after getting an OLED smartphone.  Oh, those gorgeous colours and DEEP black level!  I loathe the IPS screen on my Christmas present iPad Air 2 but at least that's a tax write-off and something I need for work.

If DEEP black levels are your main concern, there's this technology called Plasma... but it probably won't be available for too much longer.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:34 pm

I remember having a CRT with a degauss button on it. I thought "What's this button do?", then it went BZZZZT and freaked out for a second. I decided to leave that button alone until I learned exactly what it was doing. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

ChicagoDave
Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't OLED panels still have some considerable downsides?  The last I looked into it there were still concerns over longevity and color shifting over time.  It seems like the manufacturing it's self is mostly a solved problem, but the underlying technology still needs some work.

Regarding the color shift - Sony and Panasonic (and presumably others) were using RGB OLED, where each of the three colors had it's own diode.  The blue diode was burning out faster than the red or green ones, resulting in color shift over time.  LG took a different route, using only white OLEDs and a colored filter which results in even wear of the diodes over time. 

I'm assuming Dell cancelled this monitor because either A) They were planning on buying the panel from someone other than LG, and that supplier isn't making OLED panels any longer or B) LG is asking for too much money and Dell can get nearly equivalent performing panels with IGZO or Quantum Dot IPS tech from a competitor (AOC, Panasonic, Sony, etc).

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

They are no longer selling the product - again. That didn't last long.

(yes, this news is a month or more old now.)