Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Do they still make "dumb" TVs?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 am

Yet another reason to avoid buying Smart TVs:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ir-owners/
Pardon me if this old news to those of you that keep track of consumer devices, but this is a very reason not to buy a Smart TV by itself, and of course from the few decent reviews I read, most of them are crap to begin with anyway. So why buy one?

While I do have a TV, I don't watch it all that much, just a Blu-Ray or the news every so often. But if I had to replace it for some reason, can I still buy a dumb one?

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Do they still make "dumb" TVs?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 am

Yes - though nearly anything outside of an old dvd player you hook to it will have some set of "smart tv" features - unless of course you never connect to the network with whats plugged in 
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 am

pikaporeon wrote:
Yes - though nearly anything outside of an old dvd player you hook to it will have some set of "smart tv" features - unless of course you never connect to the network with whats plugged in 

My Blu-Player isn't connect to the internet and I don't have WiFi since I only own one computer and live in a SRO apartment.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:06 am

whm1974 wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

My Blu-Player isn't connect to the internet and I don't have WiFi since I only own one computer and live in a SRO apartment.

That is going to cause you problems eventually. Next time they update the Blu-Ray DRM your player won't download the new DRM code/keys (whatever it is they update), which means discs released after that won't play.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 am

Just do not set the unit up to access wifi\lan...
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

That is going to cause you problems eventually. Next time they update the Blu-Ray DRM your player won't download the new DRM code/keys (whatever it is they update), which means discs released after that won't play.

TBH, I don't watch Blu-Rays that often anymore as I usually watch online video from Hulu, CWTV, and/or Netflix.