Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Looking for Photography Tutorials

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 am

I'm no professional photographer, but I feel comfortable with many/most of my camera's manual settings. Being a beginner with no special training and severely limited free time due to a 6-month old, I admittedly am lacking in photo "ideas" and I thought it might be helpful to have some sort of reference that I could use to stage various shots what settings might be needed. I imagine myself setting out to master a given shot/effect each week (or as my free time allows). I know I've seen books about this sort of thing, but we're in the internet era. Surely this stuff can be found online for free right? I'm having trouble finding what I'm describing here. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Looking for Photography Tutorials

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 am

I looked into this a bit when I was considering a DSLR. I haven't read everything on this article (first hit when Googling "photography beginners guide"), but there are plenty of infographics for easy references.

Youtube also seems to have several videos and/or channels on the subject. You might have to wade through a few to find a good creator, but that might be a better starting point if you prefer video tutorials.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Found KenRockwell.com by accident back when I bought my Nikon and was looking for lens recommendations. A lot of his article are worth reading.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

sambrown
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Here are the basic photography tutorials I found recently and most of them are useful.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Actually I would like to ask what kind of "tutorial" are you looking for, the technical side where you deal with the numbers (aperture, focal length, shutter speed, etc.) or you want guidance on the visual/artistic/creative side (composition, light sources, etc.)? Based on your statement of "comfortable with many/most of my camera's manual settings", I would imagine you are leaning towards the latter? Once you learn the effect that you want, then you figure out the numbers/settings/dials to set to achieve those effects.

Unfortunately, you still need the time to take the shots, evaluate, and then practise some more. Not a lot of shortcuts that you can take. And during the evaluation phase you probably will discover/develop your preferences as to which effect(s) you prefer for different kinds of subjects. Perhaps you can limit your types of subjects and specialize in those first? Say your 6-month old should provide plenty of shooting opportunities. Immediately off the top of my head I can think of the sleeping shots (where you can really stick close and do portrait type shots) and action shots when s/he is moving around. Those 2 contrasting picture types should already take you quite a while to master, and you may need new lens in the process too. :lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 pm

If you ask me i think looking for some raw basics isn't bad, but you should probably draw the line there unless you're looking for a top of the line professional school or something. I think that middle education zone is where you mostly copy everyone elses style, and might prevent yourself from establishing your own. Photography is a form of art right? Just learn how to use the equipment then do whatever you want.

edit i miss spoofs pirate pictures :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Try Learning to See Creatively or one of Bryan Peterson's other books.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:14 am

Since this thread is active again...may I suggest that one of the best ways to learn technique is to shoot EVERYTHING for a while, then learn by experience as you sort and post-process your inventory. Eventually, you'll discover that three basic rules are almost inviolable:

1) A true photographer thinks in terms of light more than any other factor;
2) The Rule of Thirds really does determine whether a photo is interesting; and
3) The camera you have is always better than the one you don't.

For example, I recently used my Nexus 5X phone to shoot this image of firefighters mopping up a bigrig cab that burned to the ground along I-70:

Regarding (3), the 5X wasn't ideal (I wasn't even able to get a good flame shot while the rig was still burning), but it was what I had when we came upon the fire. For (1), note the high-contrast and the coloration provided by the numerous emergency vehicle flashers; I wasn't thinking "is the light right?" when I took the picture, it just happened based on experience. As for (2), I wasn't actively thinking about that, either, yet look at where the subjects lined up:

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

agnes8
Gerbil

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:00 am

Are you looking for photography tutorials like in overall or you want to learn about editing images software? :)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:42 am

Both?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

agnes8
Gerbil

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am

I found some interesting information here, they mention Darktable, LightZone and a few others. It should be a good thing to start with. All these photo management tools are for free. There is a table which summarizes information described above in the text. Pay attention to the operating system when you choose a program.

locrian1288
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am

This just popped up in recents so not sure how relevant the question is anymore, but when I first got into photography I learned a lot from earlier stuff by Jared Polin (fro knows photo) and Greg Cazillo when they were a duo. The newer Polin stuff is more commercial and not as good but there is still a lot of great information about lighting/composition/settings from these two.