Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Simple video editing on PC?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 am

Hey all,

I'm a bit new to the world of video editing. The guys at work use all manner of expensive software but I'm just looking for a simple tool that will join/trim video and rotate in 90 degree increments. At the moment I'm making do with a whole folder full of opensource, single-purpose tools. They do the job but I can't help but feel that joining and trimming files that need rotating 90 degrees shouldn't require at least four different tools!

Ideally decent free software exists but I'll pay if there's a cheap one that's significantly better than the freebies; I'm finding a minefield of conflicting advice and articles/guides that are poorly-disguised advertising. Far from impartial and no two articles compare the same programs so you have to assume that they're all just cherry-picking some fluff to pad out their fake list of "best software" and come to the conclusion that their own product is the best! I never expected the field to be so messed-up and corrupt. Video editing is a mature process on PC, I used to do it back in the days of Virtualdub for DVD-to-DivX days. What gives?

What do you gerbils use for your basic needs? I'm usually dealing with H.264 MP4 files....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Simple video editing on PC?

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 am

Simply use Microsoft Movie Maker (if you can still get it, I didn't check). Works well enough for simple editing.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 am

Avidemux. Awkward, but that's what I know of:
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

VirtualDub used to be better, but it was mostly for AVI. Maybe there are modern spinoffs that support well other container formats.

There's also Avisynth, but it's scripting based so quite awkward for simple one-off manipulations. And you'd still have to find some GUI for it, assuming a real one exists.
http://avs-plus.net/
https://avspmod.github.io/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 am

liquidsquid wrote:
Simply use Microsoft Movie Maker (if you can still get it, I didn't check). Works well enough for simple editing.

Sadly it reached End of Support in January. It's not offered for download any longer. A shame, too, because it was the easiest video editor this side of iMovie.

This is, for some reason, a big hole in the Windows ecosystem. All the video packages I've messed around with on the PC are far more complicated than what came with Windows Essentials. For a "creators" update, the latest Windows 10 release seems to focus on consuming web, media, and games.

Your best bet might be the open-source Shotcut, which is available for Windows, Mac, and some popular Linux distros.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

cheesyking

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 am

http://www.openshot.org/

Is another free open source one to try.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 am

I've used Davinci Resolve since the demise of Windows Movie Maker (side note - it used to be seriously easy to make a quick movie AND burn it to a DVD with custom menus, etc. What the heck, Microsoft?). While it's not super simple, it is easy enough to do a quick trim/rotate/tranisition and export into just about any format. It has been a little picky about import formats, but if you stick to pretty standard fare it seems to work well.
Of course, it can be super powerful, but for a Free option it's the best I've been able to find recently.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Sadly [MS Movie Maker] reached End of Support in January. It's not offered for download any longer.

Come on now. This is the internet we're talking about. You absolutely can still download it.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 am

Since people starting mentioning NLE editors, rather than just plain cut/join/rotate things, Blender also includes something of this kind:
https://www.blender.org/features/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:48 am

DPete27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Sadly [MS Movie Maker] reached End of Support in January. It's not offered for download any longer.

Come on now. This is the internet we're talking about. You absolutely can still download it.

Well, it's not offered by MS anymore. I personally wouldn't download from a third party.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kougar

Wed May 03, 2017 2:15 am

Wow, what a coincidence. I should've poked my head in here as I had to do some last minute video editing last week.

Video Editor Master (From the Microsoft app store) seems like it should do what you need. But I couldn't use it because it supports all formats except MOV.

HD Video Converter Factory Pro is decent, but the free version only allows 5 minute video clips.

Filmora was a very advanced editing program, people have made movies with it. The free version only supports up to 720p videos, however.

DPete27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I thought so as well... but NOPE. You can't because it is part of the Windows Live Essentials installation package. You can download the WLE installer, but it then tries to access a MS server to download the latest catalog files. And as those are removed the WLE installer no longer can find anything to install.

Dposcorp

Wed May 03, 2017 9:29 am

I always like simple solutions.

If you have a Windows 7 or 8 license around, how about dual booting?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+bo ... e&ie=UTF-8

I am gonna try to follow these instruction this weekend, as I have machine I was thinking about reverting back to Win 7 for.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3050502/ ... catch.html

the
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am

For just basic trimming and I think rotation, VLC can do it.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 03, 2017 10:23 am

Unfortunately I don't know of any good free software to do this, but I broke down and bought Sony Movie Studio for around $50 and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's the (much) cheaper, cut down, consumer version of their Vegas Pro professional video editing software. And it also comes with their Acid music making software and some other tools.

weaktoss
Gerbil

Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am

Avidemux can do everything you need, but is a bit clunky to use. I'm no video editing expert, but I've loaded Avidemux about a billion times. Takes about 6.5 seconds every time. :)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I've had a look at a few of them since, and they're decent if no simpler or quicker than the individual tools I was already using.

Here's a potentially dumb question.

Can you trim/rotate video without having to re-encode? If I'm taking compressed x264 and trimming it and then saving it, I'm usually forced to re-encode the video which means I'm recompressing decompressed streams which results in lower compression ratios and lower quality. If VLC can playback video in any orientation and seek to any point in the clip, there should be no need to re-encode for something as simple as a flip and trim, right?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 am

yes if you only need to rotate or trim use filter features in VLC, if you put a video in a video editing program you need to render every change you make in the timeline.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 am

Takeshi7 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know of any good free software to do this, but I broke down and bought Sony Movie Studio for around $50 and I'm very happy with my purchase. It's the (much) cheaper, cut down, consumer version of their Vegas Pro professional video editing software. And it also comes with their Acid music making software and some other tools.

For me $50 is the sweet spot. Might consider this.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.