Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Samsung C24FG70—best monitor, worst support

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:29 pm

RAGEPRO wrote:
I really hope Samsung calls me today. Actually I'll be surprised if they call me within the next -week- but I'll give 'em 'til next Wednesday I guess. I don't even understand why the phonecall is necessary; can't they just cut me a check? What's the holdup? Why is there all this red tape?

Several possibilities: 1) The refunds department is swamped; or 2) They're hoping that if they make it difficult enough for you to get your refund you'll just give up and go away; or 3) The refunds department is incompetent and/or their process for issuing refunds is broken.

None of these possibilities reflect well on the company
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Reading this story suddenly makes me feel so much better about the support calls I've had to make.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Sadly I usually exercise option 2. It is infuriating when I ask for help and the person "helping" knows less than I do. Then I vote with my wallet and stay away. I'm fortunate enough that it hasn't happened all that often.

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:49 pm

RAGEPRO wrote:
He assured me that I would hear from them "within twenty-four to forty-eight hours," so we'll see what happens, I guess. Note that I started all this mess in March and it is about to be July. Oh, and my aforementioned friend's monitor broke again. She's getting a refund through Newegg, though. Another friend of hers has several of these monitors, and some of his show the problem too. A quick glance at Amazon reviews indicates that this is a pretty widespread issue with the monitor.
Unsurprisingly I did not receive any contact from Samsung in the last 5 days. Today I called in and spoke with a young man who informed me that normally refunds take 4-6 weeks. That's not altogether surprising, but why is this the first I'm hearing about it? I asked him; obviously, he had no answer beyond an apology. I politely assured him that it was a rhetorical question. Nice kid.

So I'll have to wait until the middle of July before I hear anything about my refund. Yeah, that's par for the course really.
RAGEPRO wrote:
It's not impossible that I could give Samsung another shot, mostly just because this monitor has no competition in the market right now. If I do, though, I'm gonna be buying an extended warranty from the seller with it. There's no way I'm going through this crap again.
This morning my friend and I spent around 2 hours going through the current monitor and TV offerings of AOC, ASUS, Acer, BenQ, Dell, Eizo, LG, MSI, NEC, Nixeus, Philips, QNIX, Sony, Samsung, Seiki, Sharp, and Viewsonic. There is not one display that even really comes close to these Samsungs in terms of featureset or capabilities at this price point, and there are literally no other displays at all, anywhere, that meet all of the capabilities. It's incredibly frustrating to have something so close to the perfect product slip through my fingers because of shoddy QA.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 am

I've sworn off Samsung after having to live through one of their terrible slide-out keyboard phones in the pre-smartphone era. The hardware was sound, but the firmware was apparently so awful it could bug out and disable all the keys on the device, which is to the end user the same as bricking the phone.

I get the impression that Samsung really wants to capture the market with a product that blows away the competition on features, but is either too incompetent or just incapable of spending the time/resources on properly designing it. Contrasted with a company like Apple that normally won't even talk about an upcoming product's features until it is being assembled by the millions

My parents bought a Sammy washer/dryer pair (not the exploding kind luckily) because it had a hojillion features none of the other machines had, but the washer promptly crapped out like 2 weeks out of warranty, and the local repair place basically told them these models do this constantly, and even if they repaired it, it would likely do it again in 6-12 months.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I've sworn off Samsung after having to live through one of their terrible slide-out keyboard phones in the pre-smartphone era. The hardware was sound, but the firmware was apparently so awful it could bug out and disable all the keys on the device, which is to the end user the same as bricking the phone.

Mine didn't disable the keyboard entirely, it would just occasionally scramble the button and menu mappings around. Phone function roulette! About one time in 5 it would dial a different contact than the one you selected.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:24 pm

RAGEPRO wrote:
Which is to say that I want a monitor with the qualities outlined in the first post and nobody else seems to be able to deliver. My choices are essentially to either give up on having such a monitor or buy another Samsung, neither of which I'm very happy about. I considered compromising and just getting another 144-Hz TN, but I don't know if I could stand looking at it next to my fantastic LG IPS and my AOC VAs, heh!

Samsung generally makes good panels-If your lucky perhaps some other manufacturer will pick up that panel and make a decent monitor with it-
Thro if it's a panel problem that's the end of that idea.
If you must have-could try Slavic's idea and run at 120..............

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
RAGEPRO wrote:
I really hope Samsung calls me today. Actually I'll be surprised if they call me within the next -week- but I'll give 'em 'til next Wednesday I guess. I don't even understand why the phonecall is necessary; can't they just cut me a check? What's the holdup? Why is there all this red tape?

Several possibilities: 1) The refunds department is swamped; or 2) They're hoping that if they make it difficult enough for you to get your refund you'll just give up and go away; or 3) The refunds department is incompetent and/or their process for issuing refunds is broken.

None of these possibilities reflect well on the company

Possibility 4) which is much like 3: There are multiple related departments involved, and the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.

Samsung is one of the huge chaebols of Korea, and many are both powerful, and have operated with little accountability for years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaebol

The former president, and his son (the current president) have both been charged with corruption; father's charges never stuck and son's, well...we'll wait and see. They've been part of the scandal that recently ousted the Korean president on her bribery charges.

Samsung's current SSDs are among the few really worth looking at if you want top features like Opal encryption support, and the best performance, and have good reliability. Aside from Crucial's MX300, which is probably the bargain leader, some of the other items perform okay, but don't have much in the way of power-loss protection, or encryption support, making them poorer laptop choices. These days though, I'd be unlikely to touch a Samsung TV, monitor, or large appliance, and I won't do their cell phones either. I've heard too many stories from enough sources.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Well, this past Friday—two days ago—I finally got my refund check. I'll spare you all the details of what I had to do to actually get it. Suffice to say it took many angry phonecalls and me mailing in an actual paper letter on my lawyer cousin's letterhead. Yeah.

So anyway, now is the time for monitor shopping, and man it's distressing. I can pay slightly less than I would pay for another Samsung and get something like this LG 24GM79G-B, but paying $260 for a 24" 1080p TN monitor doesn't sit real well with me, even if it is 144Hz, FreeSync, and with blur reduction, particularly not when the Samsung I had is down to just $280 now. There's this BenQ XL2735, which has DyAc strobing, is 27" diagonal, and 1440p resolution, but it's a TN panel... and $550. BenQ also has the XL2546, which is a 240Hz display with DyAc... but it's a 1920x1080 TN panel, also for $550. Yeah, no.

I wouldn't even mind ponying up for a nice G-Sync display to use ULMB, except you can't use ULMB with a Radeon. Gotta love that vendor lock-out.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:15 pm

After reading this thread, I'm so glad I'm not picky about my monitors... :lol:

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:50 am

Two months on and no issues with mine. I was worried because it has a lot of on-time, probably averaging 5 hours per day. That said, knock on wood I haven't noticed any of the problems mentioned.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Since the C24FG70 is OOS on Amazon, this weekend I picked up the Optix G24C on sale, 209.99 AR. MSI has a newer version that TR covered in the news, but there does not seem to be any difference. I noticed that the newer version uses the joystick to control the OSD, much like the Samsung one, so I wonder if MSI is grabbing an almost assembled kit from Samsung, instead of just the panel with the G24C.

I read around and the G27C, the 27" version, has many issues with freesync, but that did not seem to translate to the 24" version.

Separately, Acer is also reselling these panels under 'adibpix' or something like that, for an even lower price, 169.99 this weekend on Newegg. I wanted to cancel my Amazon order and pick up one of these, but it was too late. Alas.

I will report back on my experiences.

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:48 pm

cegras wrote:
MSI has a newer version that TR covered in the news, but there does not seem to be any difference.
I think only the MAG24C has a blur-reduction mode.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm curious that you didn't simply buy another one, as it seems like the hubbub around the QA issues have died down recently.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm

cegras wrote:
I'm curious that you didn't simply buy another one, as it seems like the hubbub around the QA issues have died down recently.

My C24FG70 doesn't have any issues, but then again I'm running it over HDMI (which caps you to 120Hz) which might be why.

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:25 pm

cegras wrote:

I think that's more because the monitors aren't new anymore, heh. I doubt the problems were ever "QA" issues and not "design flaws." But I could be wrong. I'd like to be.

I thought about getting another one, but I was still mad at Samsung. I sort of wish I had because the monitor I ended up with (ASUS ROG XG27VQ) is, well, just too big & low-DPI. Cost me more than another C24FG70, too, and the kicker is that it has worse color and worse strobe crosstalk than the Samsung. Oh well. It looks pretty nice anyway, and the extra size is useful when folks are over.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Received it two days ago and lost a bunch of games on OW with it. With 60 Hz, I'm used to not seeing the transition when I flick my mouse - and see the whole thing is a bit jarring!

The refresh rate is beautiful - but no one has reviewed this monitor so it's hard to get it calibrated right. The whites are on the blueish-greenish side for me, and the colours definitely don't look as good as a U2412 :)

When overdrive is activated, either 'normal' or 'fast', the brightness setting is greyed out. Is this change due to strobing backlight?

I don't notice the curve very much - cheers to RAGEPRO for convincing me to go in.

I'm a bit disappointed with the black levels - my previous monitor, a BenQ GW2250, had amazing black contrast, but this monitor seems to have an incorrect gamma / contrast calibration, and without a colorimeter I can't get it set up the way I like. Some things in Overwatch were too bright / too dark, and there was loss of bright/dark detail.

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Incredibly, my 2-month-old ASUS XG27VQ has now failed in the exact same manner that the Samsungs before did. Dark pixels show bright blue or purple just like in this video . I'm pretty sure this monitor uses a Samsung panel, so clearly the issue is with the panels then. Time to do the RMA rigamarole with Asus now...

cegras wrote:
The refresh rate is beautiful - but no one has reviewed this monitor so it's hard to get it calibrated right. The whites are on the blueish-greenish side for me, and the colours definitely don't look as good as a U2412 :)
Have you tried doing a manual calibration? I don't know what the MSI OSD looks like, but I take every monitor I get to http://lagom.nl/lcd-test immediately.
cegras wrote:
When overdrive is activated, either 'normal' or 'fast', the brightness setting is greyed out. Is this change due to strobing backlight?
It just depends on how they implemented it. Overdrive shouldn't have anything to do with brightness, but the blur reduction setting on the Samsungs is indeed called "response time" which IS affected by Overdrive. It's all very confusing.
cegras wrote:
I don't notice the curve very much - cheers to RAGEPRO for convincing me to go in.
Right on. :)
cegras wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed with the black levels - my previous monitor, a BenQ GW2250, had amazing black contrast, but this monitor seems to have an incorrect gamma / contrast calibration, and without a colorimeter I can't get it set up the way I like. Some things in Overwatch were too bright / too dark, and there was loss of bright/dark detail.
Interesting. I'd head to Lagom's LCD tests as I mentioned above, although I will say that the Optix doesn't have quite as good spec'd static contrast as the GW2250 (which is spec'd for 5000:1). There may be a gamma setting in the monitor's OSD to play with.

A lot of these gaming monitors restrict or disable options based on which one of their "smart display" (or whatever) profiles you have enabled. Try changing display presets on the monitor and see if that opens up more options for you.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:34 pm

I did play around with the calibration, including using the values from rtings.info review of the 27" version, but no dice. I did not spend the time learning how brightness, contrast, RGB, etc, control the gamma curve, which I could not get right, and that led to things like loss of detail in games (although they use their own curves, so who knows) ... Hence, my friend and I will split the cost of a Colormunki Smile to do some basic calibration with DisplayCal :). He has the Nixeus EDG 27 and has complained about the whites being very yellow.

I forgot how good the contrast ratio is with the GW2250! I may never experience it again .. my favourite quirk was seeing the compression artifacts in black regions whenever a game cutscene played.

Overdrive only has 'Off, normal, and extreme', and both normal and extreme disable brightness control, AND slightly dim the display. I do not notice any flicker with the 'wave hand in front of monitor test' (with the GW2250, my fingers would strobe).

RAGEPRO
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:51 pm

cegras wrote:
Overdrive only has 'Off, normal, and extreme', and both normal and extreme disable brightness control, AND slightly dim the display. I do not notice any flicker with the 'wave hand in front of monitor test' (with the GW2250, my fingers would strobe).
Well, at 120Hz or higher you won't easily notice any such flicker, heh.

It does sound exactly like the Samsung. Disabled brightness control is typical of blur reduction strobe modes and display dimming is definitely not the result of standard LCD overdrive. You could head to TestUFO.com to check if the motion is much clearer with "response time" on Extreme versus Normal or Off.