Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Your Impressions of Curved Monitors

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm in the market for a new monitor (if/when I get budgetary approval from the wife :wink: ) in the 27" - 32" 1440p range. Haven't yet made up my mind for aspect ratio, I used my brother's 29" 21:9 monitor for a while and it felt good for gaming, but clumsy for desktop/office use. I have ZERO experience with curved monitors aside from briefly glancing at a couple in passing at Best Buy. My initial thoughts are that 27" 16:9 or 29" 21:9 is about the size limit I consider appropriate for flat panels. There are more and more curved monitors showing up in the market (even down to 22" monitors), but I'm just not 100% convinced that the curve doesn't "distract" from the perception(?) of on-screen objects.

So what are your opinions? Is the curve noticeable/natural? How are curved screens in gaming scenarios? What about general office use? Does anyone have experience with multiple curve Radii?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Your Impressions of Curved Monitors

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm

You get some pretty minor image distortion that your brain rapidly adapts to. Even on 1800R and 2000R screens, I didn't really notice the distortion - especially since the way FOV is rendered on a flat screen isn't really accurate to the way our eyes work anyway, so our vision is already used to dealing with warped perspective anyway. It's just a little bit different.

Where the curved screens help is twofold.

1) They make the focal distance more uniform across the screen. If you have issues or get eyestrain from changing focal distance (I hear it's pretty common as you get older anyway) then a curved screen will bring the focal distance you need for the corners closer to the focal distance you need for the center of the screen.

2) They reduce the severity of the viewing angles at the edges of the screen. That doesn't matter a whole lot with a good quality VA screen, but it helps with TN and IPS, especially with a reduction of IPS corner-glow.

The downside to curved screens is that manufacturers seem to struggle with backlight uniformity and edge bleeding more than with flat panels. The LG I tried was pretty leaky, but at least it was uniform. The Acer with a Samsung VA panel was much better in terms of leakage but the white uniformity wasn't brilliant. It was no worse than my TV I guess....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:04 pm

It is just the latest fad in monitors. It is more for aesthetics of the monitor itself then anything else.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm

The only curved monitors should be curved out toward the user, like the kind I play my Sega tapes on.

I don't have much personal experience with a curved LCD, but I shift around in my chair all day. I'm sure I'm sitting at suboptimal angles for a big chunk of my day and I don't see how the curve would help. It might help for the area I moved away from, but the closer area would be (potentially) harder to see. I just can't get behind it because of my own personal use cases. Others might find them extremely handy.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974