Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:
I have a 38UC99-W and I find that it works well with virtual desktops.

I love virtual desktops and full screen apps on my 13" MBP (no external display) - it is probably my fav productivity setup

My eyes are getting too old for a 13" high DPI display. 4K 28" is a no-go at native resolution as well. I find that I need to turn on scaling, which means the amount of information I can get on the screen is no better than with a lower DPI display. It sure looks purty though -- ooh, those smooth, anti-aliased fonts!

Which is why I'm looking at 40" to 43". That way I don't have to deal with scaling issues, and I'm able to have four large windows open at once in each quarter of the screen.. The last part is the reason I'm wanting this.
 
spiritwalker2222
Gerbil XP
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:50 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Looking to get a 4K monitor myself. The 40" range sounds about right. I'll be moving in early December so I've been waiting for the move so I don't have to move another fragile item. Although the new house doesn't have an office, not sure where I'll setup my PC and desk...
Desktop: Skylake 6600K, GTX 660, Samsung 950 Pro, GA-Z170M-D3H
Garage mini PC: Kabylake 7100, X25-M g2, ASUS B250I, Antec ISK 110
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 pm

spiritwalker2222 wrote:
Looking to get a 4K monitor myself. The 40" range sounds about right. I'll be moving in early December so I've been waiting for the move so I don't have to move another fragile item. Although the new house doesn't have an office, not sure where I'll setup my PC and desk...

In all the articles I've been reading about 4K geared toward professionals since 2014 when I first heard about 4K, the reviews always very heavily promoted the fact you can have large open windows in each quarter of the screen and that 40" work best for that.

Maybe I reading to much into this, but it seems that certain kinds professionals are buying 40" 4K displays in droves.
 
Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3003
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Turn around...

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm

To add in to this thread... I was at a Sams Club a week ago and saw an LG 43" 4k 120Hz HDR TV for $318.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/43-uhd-smart-120hz-3-hdmi-wifi/prod21401273.ip?xid=plp11810111-elec:product:1:1

It's pretty stellar. I know the item description says it's 60hz with "Truemotion 120" but it will do 120Hz in 1080p and a full 60hz at 4k over HDMI.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
 
Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4366
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Denham Springs, LA

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I wish I had the space for one of these.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:39 pm

This may be a silly question to ask, but do any 4K TVs have Displayport connectors?
 
llisandro
Gerbil
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Not in the consumer sphere. Samsung and others make "business class display" lines that cost a lot more, but have 5 y warranties (CDW has a bunch) and some have DP inputs. (they're made for signage and stuff)

I'm typing this on a Samsung 40" MU6290. My old home monitor (a 24" 1080p Samsung TV) has started buzzing and I don't have time to investigate, so I started shopping around the other day. Rtings gave it decent reviews as a PC monitor, and it was on sale today for $328 at wal-mart (advertising as early black friday sale), so bestbuy price-matched it, bought it during lunch. I've not had time to mess with settings, but for 350 after tax, it's pretty nice. Text looks pretty good by setting it to PC mode and doing nothing else so far. The better TV-monitors in the 40" size are more like $500+. I think it's a way better idea to buy a real monitor, esp if you're gaming, but if you're on a budget, I can say that the 6290 is fine for the money. Rtings says it has a ~20 msec input lag.

It's also GIGANTIC on my desk. Would have been fine with a 32", but 40" is the sweet spot for price, unfortunately. I think I'm getting a sun tan. 8) I'm gonna have to wall-mount it so I can get it a few more inches away from my face.
 
kuraegomon
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Do you code? Because if you do, trust me - try 3840 by 2160 and you'll never go back.

whm1974 wrote:
Well it is going to be a while before I do anything anyway. I have do to more research. I just thinking that would I never even have a use case for anything higher then 2560x1600 to begin with.
Core i7-6700K | Aorus Geforce GTX 1080TI | 32 GB Corsair DDR4-3200 C16 | Asus Z170-A | Fractal Design Define R5 | EVGA 650P2 | Corsair H100i | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | WD Red (2x4TBxRAID1) | LG OLED55C7P | Windows 10 Pro x64
 
kuraegomon
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Probably OP, but as I mentioned in my first post, I have this beast - and heartily recommend it! :D

cybot_x1024 wrote:
This is a 42.5" monitor from LG. Does 4K and freesync
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79 ... ed-monitor
It should feel like four full HD 21inch screens when split 4 ways.
Maybe you should consider it OP?
Core i7-6700K | Aorus Geforce GTX 1080TI | 32 GB Corsair DDR4-3200 C16 | Asus Z170-A | Fractal Design Define R5 | EVGA 650P2 | Corsair H100i | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | WD Red (2x4TBxRAID1) | LG OLED55C7P | Windows 10 Pro x64
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm

kuraegomon wrote:
Do you code? Because if you do, trust me - try 3840 by 2160 and you'll never go back.

whm1974 wrote:
Well it is going to be a while before I do anything anyway. I have do to more research. I just thinking that would I never even have a use case for anything higher then 2560x1600 to begin with.

I'm starting to get into it. However I'm sure I can find other good use cases to justify getting a larger and higher resolution display. I just have a problem with having spent $1000 on my current monitor four years ago and finding myself wanting to replace it so soon. :o :evil:
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50808
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm

whm1974 wrote:
This may be a silly question to ask, but do any 4K TVs have Displayport connectors?

llisandro wrote:
Not in the consumer sphere. Samsung and others make "business class display" lines that cost a lot more, but have 5 y warranties (CDW has a bunch) and some have DP inputs. (they're made for signage and stuff)

If you don't insist on 10-bit color or refresh rates above 60Hz you can use an inexpensive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
kuraegomon
Gold subscriber
Gerbil
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:31 pm

This. You need right around 3 feet distance for a 40+-inch 4K monitor in my experience. Closer than that, and you'll start having field-of-view problems.

llisandro wrote:
<SNIP>...
It's also GIGANTIC on my desk. Would have been fine with a 32", but 40" is the sweet spot for price, unfortunately. I think I'm getting a sun tan. 8) I'm gonna have to wall-mount it so I can get it a few more inches away from my face.
Core i7-6700K | Aorus Geforce GTX 1080TI | 32 GB Corsair DDR4-3200 C16 | Asus Z170-A | Fractal Design Define R5 | EVGA 650P2 | Corsair H100i | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | WD Red (2x4TBxRAID1) | LG OLED55C7P | Windows 10 Pro x64
 
llisandro
Gerbil
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
This may be a silly question to ask, but do any 4K TVs have Displayport connectors?

llisandro wrote:
Not in the consumer sphere. Samsung and others make "business class display" lines that cost a lot more, but have 5 y warranties (CDW has a bunch) and some have DP inputs. (they're made for signage and stuff)

If you don't insist on 10-bit color or refresh rates above 60Hz you can use an inexpensive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.


Agreed. Some of the older mDP-to-HDMI adapters I had lying around for macbooks only support 30 Hz, and some Amazon listings don't specify. Just make sure it says 4K@60Hz. AmazonBasics model works fine.
 
llisandro
Gerbil
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Really tho, if gaming were on my list, I wouldn't be considering anything except a VRR.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

llisandro wrote:
Really tho, if gaming were on my list, I wouldn't be considering anything except a VRR.

I rather have 4K. With VRR it is way too easy to lose yourself in whatever game you playing. I can see a person "losing" himself for a week and not even be aware of it.

In any case gaming at 4K isn't the reason at all why I looking at this.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm

CScottG wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N29XPO3?tag=rtings-tv-bs10b-20&ie=UTF8

This is the one that's cheap and has a very low input lag (..for a TV).

From rtings.com:

80% Response Time: 6.3 ms
100% Response Time: 14.4 ms

-and don't forget that Black Friday isn't far away, the price might come down some.

At that price it is very temping, and I'm now considering it. However I would have to read some reviews about using it as a PC display first to see it's suitability for that purpose.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 pm

The above 4K TV will work since it has 4:4:4 Chroma sub-sampling at 4K60 in PC mode according to a review I've read, but the viewing angles don't seem to be that great.
 
End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Upper Canada

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm

I just bought a bike trainer and this thread got me thinking of a setting up a 4K display on a floor mounted stand. I measured out the dimensions of a 40" display and it was just way to big. I then went looking at the 32UD99-W but that was fracking hard to find and fracking expensive. I settled on the 27UD88-W. I'll pair it with an Apple TV 4K and use it as a display for my MBP from time to time.
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" - Colin McRae

"If you drive an auto or a dual-clutch you should feel shame." - EU
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 pm

The LG 43UJ6300 looks good and watched one YouTube review about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G637aIll6rc
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6889007355
 
biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1970
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 am

whm1974 wrote:
I rather have 4K. With VRR it is way too easy to lose yourself in whatever game you playing. I can see a person "losing" himself for a week and not even be aware of it.

In any case gaming at 4K isn't the reason at all why I looking at this.

I think you have the wrong VRR in mind whm1974. I think llisandro was suggesting Variable Refresh Rate aka G-Sync, and FreeSync. ;)
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could... Speed run Super Mario Bros (NES) 26,800 times.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:06 am

biffzinker wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I rather have 4K. With VRR it is way too easy to lose yourself in whatever game you playing. I can see a person "losing" himself for a week and not even be aware of it.

In any case gaming at 4K isn't the reason at all why I looking at this.

I think you have the wrong VRR in mind whm1974. I think llisandro was suggesting Variable Refresh Rate aka G-Sync, and FreeSync. ;)

Thank you for correcting me, I was thinking of Virtual Reality. :roll: I still rather have 4K due to the ability of having opened applications displayed at once instead of having to hit Alt-Tab or clicking on the task bar all the time.
 
cynan
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:30 pm

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 am

Here's a 40" 4K monitor with a Samsung VA panel going for $400. At that price, I wouldn't bother messing with a 4K TV as a monitor.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 pm

cynan wrote:
Here's a 40" 4K monitor with a Samsung VA panel going for $400. At that price, I wouldn't bother messing with a 4K TV as a monitor.

Neither would I, but is the story behind Massdrop?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50808
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm

whm1974 wrote:
cynan wrote:
Here's a 40" 4K monitor with a Samsung VA panel going for $400. At that price, I wouldn't bother messing with a 4K TV as a monitor.

Neither would I, but is the story behind Massdrop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massdrop
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
cynan wrote:
Here's a 40" 4K monitor with a Samsung VA panel going for $400. At that price, I wouldn't bother messing with a 4K TV as a monitor.

Neither would I, but is the story behind Massdrop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massdrop

That monitor is selling out really quick. As I'm posting this they only have 9 left... :(
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50808
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Neither would I, but is the story behind Massdrop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massdrop

That monitor is selling out really quick. As I'm posting this they only have 9 left... :(

That's how Massdrop generally works. Interesting deals/products, but they don't last long.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That monitor is selling out really quick. As I'm posting this they only have 9 left... :(

That's how Massdrop generally works. Interesting deals/products, but they don't last long.

They sure don't. Even if I had the money now to buy a nice 4K 40" to 43" monitor and can afford to spend it, like everyone else I do have other things I need to spend money on as well.

How hard is it quit "cold turkey" binge drinking multiple 2L bottles of soda everyday?
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50808
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 pm

whm1974 wrote:
How hard is it quit "cold turkey" binge drinking multiple 2L bottles of soda everyday?

Probably about as hard as it is to quit binge-posting on TR. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Crap, in that case I better not start. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: I sure wish I have a 40" 4K display...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 pm

One thing I've noticed about 4K TVs from reading the reviews is that seems it is easier to find TVs with fairly decent text display(for a TV) then it is for 1080p TVs.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest