Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51832
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Displayport cable

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
GREAT GODS FOUR FIGURES for FREAKING CABLES??? Who are buying these?

The same people who buy stuff like this:
https://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio ... -Cartridge

That certainly makes a statement.

Yes, it does! :lol:

And in case anyone thinks I'm bad-mouthing that site, that's not my intent. They sell a lot of affordable (and really good) stuff too. A while back when I decided to rip my old vinyl to WAV, I bought a nice Audio Technica phono cartridge from them for around $100. I doubt I would've been able to consistently tell the difference between that and the "Statement" one I linked above (at 150x the price)... at least not in a "that one's clearly better" sort of way. IME Audio Technica has always made really good stuff at prices mere mortals can afford (and justify).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2266
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Texas

Re: Displayport cable

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 am

just brew it! wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The same people who buy stuff like this:
https://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio ... -Cartridge

That certainly makes a statement.

Yes, it does! :lol:

And in case anyone thinks I'm bad-mouthing that site, that's not my intent. They sell a lot of affordable (and really good) stuff too. A while back when I decided to rip my old vinyl to WAV, I bought a nice Audio Technica phono cartridge from them for around $100. I doubt I would've been able to consistently tell the difference between that and the "Statement" one I linked above (at 150x the price)... at least not in a "that one's clearly better" sort of way. IME Audio Technica has always made really good stuff at prices mere mortals can afford (and justify).


Jesus... $30,000 for a basic record player. Given the sheer number of turntables priced 6K on up, I guess I'll have to take your word on some things being affordable. :lol:
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51832
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Displayport cable

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 am

Kougar wrote:
Jesus... $30,000 for a basic record player. Given the sheer number of turntables priced 6K on up, I guess I'll have to take your word on some things being affordable. :lol:

https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Tech ... -Turntable

Should be all you need to play vinyl through your stereo, PC, or powered speakers, for $300. Based on the picture and specs, it looks like a basic "old school" '70s design with a built-in preamp and USB ADC tacked on.

Given AT's track record, I'd be willing to bet that 99%+ of people would not be able to tell the difference between this and the $6000+ units.

And if all you want to do is put a new cartridge on that old turntable you pulled out of your parents' attic, it would be hard to go wrong with one of these: https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-90CD ($28 + shipping), or (for the more discerning listener) one of these: https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Tech ... -Cartridge ($75 + shipping).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9165
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:19 am

To the OP:

I have a 1080 and also the PG279G:

One word.....MONOPRICE!

Just grab one in the size you need and you're golden.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
Kougar wrote:
Jesus... $30,000 for a basic record player. Given the sheer number of turntables priced 6K on up, I guess I'll have to take your word on some things being affordable. :lol:

https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Tech ... -Turntable

Should be all you need to play vinyl through your stereo, PC, or powered speakers, for $300. Based on the picture and specs, it looks like a basic "old school" '70s design with a built-in preamp and USB ADC tacked on.

Given AT's track record, I'd be willing to bet that 99%+ of people would not be able to tell the difference between this and the $6000+ units.

And if all you want to do is put a new cartridge on that old turntable you pulled out of your parents' attic, it would be hard to go wrong with one of these: https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-90CD ($28 + shipping), or (for the more discerning listener) one of these: https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Tech ... -Cartridge ($75 + shipping).


"The cheapest and **** digital cable off Ebay from China is bad, therefore you have to buy comically overpriced ones"
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU
 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 743
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 am

tanker27 wrote:
To the OP:

I have a 1080 and also the PG279G:

One word.....MONOPRICE!

Just grab one in the size you need and you're golden.


Thanks!
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4098
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:44 am

RickyTick wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
To the OP:

I have a 1080 and also the PG279G:

One word.....MONOPRICE!

Just grab one in the size you need and you're golden.


Thanks!


I'd have linked Monoprice if their shipping charges weren't insane. Amazon ftw.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 51832
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. Unless you're buying a bunch of stuff at once, Monoprice is not cost-effective once you factor in shipping.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Posts: 9165
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 am

To be fair I normally bulk order. I always need lightening cables. Even one or two extras saves you on shipping.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2266
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Texas

Re: Displayport cable

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Unless you're buying a bunch of stuff at once, Monoprice is not cost-effective once you factor in shipping.


Recently ordered some cables from Monoprice. The shipping is calculated in brackets, so you can fit as much as you want before it abruptly bumps up to the next tier, then you have a lot of space or weight to fill. Ordering three 6" DP cables kept shipping to $4. But if I added anything else, or upgraded to 10" cables then the shipping doubled to $7-8. Probably because at that point they have to switch from a bubble envelope to a box. Still worked out cheaper than Amazon or Newegg for the cables.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests