Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Can I fix this splotch inside my laptop display?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 pm

About four years ago I bought a used Asus Q500a (15.6" Ivy Bridge based laptop) with a broken screen. This model could come with either a 720P or 1080P screen, so I took a chance and bought a 1080P AUO panel and it worked perfectly. A year or so ago I noticed this weird little splotch inside the screen that definitely wasn't there before. It isn't caused by dead pixels and I've tried blowing compressed air into the edges of the panel to see if it'd move, but it did nothing. It looks to me like something has gotten in between the backlight and the LCD panel, but I have no idea how to get it out without causing more problems.

If this were your laptop, how would you go about fixing this? The computer is fantastic aside from this one blemish. The i5 3210M is very fast for basic use, it has 8GB DDR3-1600 and a 240GB Samsung 840EVO. I really want to figure this out!

I hope these pics give a good impression of what it looks like. One of the pictures I took through a tiny handheld magnifier. Additionally, the splotch sort of shifts color and visibility with the LCD display when I move around, and it is visibly "behind" the pixels. When I look at it off center the splotch looks lighter and it is very noticeable that the images in front are not on the same surface as the splotch (there is a mm or so of "depth" between them).

Image Image Image
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Can I fix this splotch inside my laptop display?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Looks like either a piece of debris got in between the LCD film and the backlight spreader, or if it is glued together, then the glue has released at that point.

If it's just debris, it's possible you could separate the panel assembly and clean it out but it's even more likely you'll end up with another broken screen.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Can I fix this splotch inside my laptop display?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

ludi wrote:
Looks like either a piece of debris got in between the LCD film and the backlight spreader, or if it is glued together, then the glue has released at that point.

If it's just debris, it's possible you could separate the panel assembly and clean it out but it's even more likely you'll end up with another broken screen.

Thanks for the input.

I wish I knew how it got in there. It seems strange that it could get in but isn't affected by compressed air being blown all around the edges of the panel (the actual panel, partially removed from the computer). I'll probably try it again if no one has any other suggestions.

EDIT: Just tried everything I could think of, short of dismantling the panel itself. I tried blowing compressed air into every seam I could find, I tried rapping on the screen front and back rapidly, I tried massaging the spot front and back, I tried compressing the sides\top slightly while tapping to maybe create a tiny gap for it to move, I even tried putting my phone against it (front and back of the panel) and having it vibrate constantly on high strength and it didn't budge. I guess its there for good. Its too bad because its an AUO B156HW01 v4, which was one of the best compatible 1080P panels available at the time.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel