Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Hot to determine shutter count

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:33 pm

i want to find out total shutter count of my Nikon D850. I tried the following but none worked, problem symptom as noted:

1) nikonshuttercount.com\shuttercount.php -- " Failed"
2) ExifTool (PhlHarry) -- "File not recognized"
3) IExif (Opanda) -- Total Shutter Count is not on the list

Is there any other way? Or, what might I do wrong with the above?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Hot to determine shutter count

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Both of them worked. Thank you very much for your help.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm

churin wrote:
Both of them worked. Thank you very much for your help.

right on
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:03 pm

DancinJack:

I have a follow-up question:

Fine names and its shuttercounts measued as follows:

DCS_0120 --> 241
DCS_0165 --> 297

The file numbers indicate 45 shots(165-120) were made, but the measured shuttercount indicates 56 shots(297-241).
Why is this? Could you shed light on this? Has video taking anything to do with shutter count?
Your help is appreciated.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm

There are A LOT of ways that file numbering won't match up with shutter/actuation count.

File numbering can be manually reset on the camera, inserting a different SD(etc) card with a similar numbering scheme can confuse it, the camera can reset/change the numbering scheme depending on certain events. Plus, you can actuate the shutter without actually saving an image to the SD card (for instance if you look at it and delete it) It's not really a good way to determine shutter actuations. I wouldn't worry about it.

For instance, there is a menu similar to this on my Canon DSLR. I don't know Nikon's UI in detail, but there should be a similar one on Nikon's.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:39 pm

I am a newbie to DSL. I got the D850 about 6 months or so ago and have hardly used it. I never reset or change file numbering scheme. The camera comes with dual memory slots and the one of them serves as a backup(or it was set this way). I do not remember if I ever changed the primary memory card. I inserted the backup memory some time later after I started using this camera. This morning I took a shot with only the backup memory and tried the JPG file at URLs you suggested, and both of which returned 634. I am presently preparing it to sell to replace it with new model.

Getting back to shutter count, is it correct to say that after file number incremented from 101 to 110, the shutter count increments likewise or increases by 10 regardless of whether any of the file between 101 to 110 is deleted or not? I think this is because deleting any file should not decrement shutter count.

How about video taking? I understand video is a collection of a lot of still shots. If so shutter count will advance vary rapidly. I do not remember if I took video with this camera.

Further comment is appreciated.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:55 pm

churin wrote:
I am a newbie to DSL. I got the D850 about 6 months or so ago and have hardly used it. I never reset or change file numbering scheme. The camera comes with dual memory slots and the one of them serves as a backup(or it was set this way). I do not remember if I ever changed the primary memory card. I inserted the backup memory some time later after I started using this camera. This morning I took a shot with only the backup memory and tried the JPG file at URLs you suggested, and both of which returned 634. I am presently preparing it to sell to replace it with new model.

Getting back to shutter count, is it correct to say that after file number incremented from 101 to 110, the shutter count increments likewise or increases by 10 regardless of whether any of the file between 101 to 110 is deleted or not? I think this is because deleting any file should not decrement shutter count.

How about video taking? I understand video is a collection of a lot of still shots. If so shutter count will advance vary rapidly. I do not remember if I took video with this camera.

Further comment is appreciated.

Why do you want to sell it? The D850 is a really nice camera.

re: shutter count - don't worry about the shutter count vs image numbering. The shutter count is going to be (usually) accurate it you use one of those sites/tools to check it rather than image numbering. Don't rely on image numbering to count shutter acutations. However, if you put in a new SD card, start the numbering at 1 and go to 10, only actuating the shutter once per image, then yeah the two should match up.

re: video - with CMOS dSLR cameras, the shutter stays open the entire time you're taking a video. So, open at the start of live view/video, and close at the end. Taking one video will increase shutter count by one, generally.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Why do people care about shutter count? Is there something that wears out fast enough to be a concern? I'm genuinely curious here, as I don't know much about DSLRs.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Why do people care about shutter count? Is there something that wears out fast enough to be a concern? I'm genuinely curious here, as I don't know much about DSLRs.

It very much depends on the tier of dSLR you have, and how many photos you take. For pros? Yeah, it matters quite a bit.

For instance, the dSLR I own (a Canon EOS 80D) is a relatively entry level dSLR, and it's "rated" (manufacturer specified) shutter actuations is ~100K. It could wear out before then, but it's not super likely. It might last way longer than that too though. Taking care of your stuff helps. Keep it clean and such.

However, for a more pro level kit like say...the Nikon D850 we're talking about here -- it's rated at ~200K actuations.

Think about that though. The 80D can shoot 7fps in high-speed with AF, and the D850 can shoot 7fps continuous, and 9fps depending on some accessories you can buy for it. That's a lot of actuations really quickly. Pros take a tonnnnnnn of pictures. Now, I'm not saying everyone is shooting at 7-9fps all the time, they're not, but you can see how quickly you could eat up those actuations this way. Another example, of the pro or at least semi-pro photogs I know, they say they can take anywhere from 400-700 photos at a wedding (let's say over...5? hours). Of course not everyone is a wedding photographer, but let's use an average here and say a lot of people take ~550 photos at a single wedding. In five hours.

Anyway, the answer to your question is yeah, the shutter can wear out. Especially for pros that take photos all day every day. The shutter count definitely matters if you're buying used too. Don't wanna buy a camera that already has 3/4 of it's expected life (at least for the shutter) already gone.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm

DancinJack:
I dropped by a local camera store the other day and was really impressed with how lighter Z7 is than D850. I decided on the spot to get one but unfortunately or fortunately hindsight, the store did not have it in stock. Since then I have changed mind.

You indicate that each frame shot for video taking is done by an electronic shutter and shutter count increments by one for creating one video clipping. Thanks for your enlightenment on this.

just brew it!:
I started this thread because I was planning to sell my DSLR and I wanted to determine its shutter count. This is because the shutter count tells how heavily or lightly the camera was used.