Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Recommend a 65" TV -- the less SMART the better

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:29 pm

So I was walking through Costco today and noticed this: https://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22-Class-(64.6%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100455688.html

I've been wanting to put a TV in the family room upstairs. The current plane is to put my current Samsung 67" DLP upstairs and wall mount a new TV in the nook downstairs. I have zero need for smarts in the TV. I have a high end AV receiver that has all manner of inputs and will upconvert. I have an Amazon Fire TV that does all the media duties. I have a dual tuner Tablo for OTA TV for the house.

I'm not opposed to a smart TV, other than I really don't want stupid stuff getting in the way, and some of the horror stories regarding Samsung are enough to make me wonder the above TV would be a disaster. If I can pull the back off, disconnect the wifi antenna, put it on HDMI1, and still access all the picture settings, without all the smart crap interfering, I'd probably be ok.

As far as TV specs go...

65" is the size -- not above, not below.
4K is not a requirement. When I go 4K, it will be on the projector in the theater. TVs are mainly for OTA and streaming for "informal" watching.
Speakers -- don't care about TV sound quality. Will be connected to a receiver and real speakers.
latency -- I don't really game on consoles, so latency isn't really a concern, however high latency usually means silly kinds of image processing.
image processing -- I'd like the ability to adjust and/or disable any image processing the TV does.

Anyway, I'd love gerbil thoughts and recommendations.

--SS

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Recommend a 65" TV -- the less SMART the better

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Need a budget. I can list a few but you can get 65" TVs anywhere from like 700-900 all the way through a five G's.

(FWIW, ANYTHING you buy these days at 65" is going to be "smart" and it's almost CERTAINLY going to be 4K - just FYI)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

toki
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:28 pm

he ain't wrong. Smart TV is a big selling point for most people.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Indeed, it's getting a lot harder to find flat screens these days that don't have some kind of smart app(s) in them.
I wish I had gone to med school.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I switched to a Hisense 65" that is fantastic value and not particularly SMART. All TV's are SMART and 4K these days but at least the Hisense is focusing on the essentials.

VA panel for good contrast and black levels.
HDR for retina-searing brightness (I disable it on mine)
Decent backlight uniformity and no obvious bleed
input lag is exceptionally low (that mattered to me, even if it doesn't for you)
Hooked up to a PC I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can get it calibrated with minimal tinkering to sRGB 2.2 gamma.

Hisense are big in Europe, They're effectively the best budget brand - same panels from the same factories as the big boys but their OS and SMART side is weaker, which is why I bought one; LIke you, I don't need or want to pay for SMART features, I already have superior options to plug into it.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:56 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Need a budget. I can list a few but you can get 65" TVs anywhere from like 700-900 all the way through a five G's.

(FWIW, ANYTHING you buy these days at 65" is going to be "smart" and it's almost CERTAINLY going to be 4K - just FYI)

I would have figured that the link to a $650 TV and the note that 4K wasn't a requirement would have somewhat set the price range. I'm perfectly happy with my 10 year old LED illuminated DLP. The only drawback is that while it can, technically, be wall mounted, it really isn't practical. That, and I only have one of them.

I'm either going to go buy that Samsung, or just keep on waiting until I finish redoing the family room in the spring -- new sectional, new AV receiver, new speakers. Other than the stupid smart stuff, that linked Samsung is in the ballpark. I'm not cheap and not poor. I'll pay more for a quality product that meets my needs. I do want value. I'm not chasing the latest fad and very rarely am I an early adopter. At this point, for a current generation LED/LCD 4K TV, approximately $1k seems to be a reasonable price target, OLED being around $2.5k, and QLED (Samsung) being in between, around $1.7k-$2k.

I'd probably even pay a couple hundred dollars more for the same display without all the smart stuff. However, most of the current generation 65" LED TVs are around $1k, with smart stuff. You can get a Hisense in the $700 range if you get the prior generation. I am assuming that Samsung is about to rev, or replace, this particular family and thus chose it for deep discount on black Friday.

So I guess it really comes down to whether I can keep the Samsung bloat out of the way enough to keep the thing usable as a simple display.

The viewing areas are generally lit, unlike the theater, so the brighter blacks of and LCD are not a huge problem. The normal view positions are less than 45deg off center and the intent is to mount it on an articulated mount, at an angle to reduce the worst case a bit more, likely less than 30 deg.

--SS

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Costco does have a 65" Hisense on its website right now as well: https://www.costco.com/Hisense-65%22-Class-(64.5%22-Diag.)--4K-Ultra-HD-Roku-LED-LCD-TV.product.100415080.html

No idea if the local store has one on the floor, or in stock though.

--SS
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Best TV review site I know of.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm

The reason that modern TVs are loaded down with "smart" applications is the same reason that a new laptop comes loaded with tons of crapware. The makers of those apps (e.g.: Netflix, Hulu, etc.) pay the manufacturer to install them on every TV. Adding all of those mostly-unused applications to a "smart" TV actually lowers the sales price.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

Robotics
Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 am

DPete27 wrote:

I love it :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:51 am

DPete27 wrote:

It was definitely a help to me when it came to looking for a TV.

I have a 55" TCL that was the best value for the money at the time (around 11 months ago). The 65" model of the 2018 version has been very well-reviewed. If you're going to do any gaming at all, I highly recommend it for the low input latency. Definitely the "budget" option, at around $800:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-cla ... Id=6204551

Otherwise I'd pick the rtings best-reviewed TV for your budget and just buy that. Their reviews are very thorough.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:40 am

I'm on my second Samsung smart TV now. (First one wasn't dead, but the panel was failing. I blame it on the below freezing temps it had to suffer for a few montThe wife loves it, but it does duplicate some of the features of our Chromecast and PS4.

However, it never gets in the way. If I switch to an HDMI source, that's what I'm going to be watching/interacting on. The smart stuff only does things when you tell it to, it never guesses.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

superjawes

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 am

So my employer has a package of company sponsored discounts, and I found a nice-looking one for Samsung TVs and electronics. Found a couple of example TVs with price tags, compared them to Costco...and Costco was still $50+ cheaper. Just saying, Costco pricing is probably the best you're going to find outside of B-stock, refurbished, or demo pricing (at least on a per-model basis). And, as others have noted, you're probably going to be stuck with 4k or "Smart" features on a 65" model.

If Samsung's "Smart" interface is a problem, maybe take a stroll down to a brick & mortar like Best Buy and get a sales rep to show you the various interfaces. You might also check out the mobile apps that would pair with various brands. Even if you don't have anything to connect to, the interface(s) might tell you how intrusive the software is/can be.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Absolutely freakin love my LG OLED TV (65"). It is fantastic in every conceivable way, except for price. Those suckers are expensive. But worth it, IMHO.

It has some smart stuff, of course -- they all do. But I don't really use it. It's connected to my Apple TV and Xbox One.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

End User

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 pm

I never see webOS when I am using my LG 4K TV. I don't even use the TV's remote.

I have both an Apple TV 4K and Chromecast Ultra (controlled by my phone/tablet). The TV will turn on and switch inputs based on HDMI device activity. I use the LG app on my phone/tablet to power off the TV.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 pm

End User wrote:
I never see webOS when I am using my LG 4K TV. I don't even use the TV's remote.

I have both an Apple TV 4K and Chromecast Ultra (controlled by my phone/tablet). The TV will turn on and switch inputs based on HDMI device activity. I use the LG app on my phone/tablet to power off the TV.

That is my experience as well. Both the Apple TV and the Xbox are set to turn the TV on and off when they turn on and off. Never touch the TV remote or see the WebOS unless I want to (to change TV settings).

End User

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Buub wrote:
End User wrote:

That is my experience as well. Both the Apple TV and the Xbox are set to turn the TV on and off when they turn on and off. Never touch the TV remote or see the WebOS unless I want to (to change TV settings).

Now that is smart! :)

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

DancinJack wrote:

I just bought the 55" Vizio M series from Costco for $450 and so far we are very happy with it. 4K, HDR, 32 Zones, VA Panel, 120hz, 4 HDMI and 1 set of component inputs.
Intel I7-4770K@4ghz, MSI Z87-G45, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2400, Gigabyte Geforce 2080 , Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB WD Black, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

End User

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 pm

liquid_mage wrote:
I just bought the 55" Vizio M series from Costco for $450

Good grief! That is an amazing price.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for their inputs. Special thanks to DPete27 for the review site link. Very useful.

I opted to wait. I've got too many other things in progress that need to be finished first. Christmas is organizing the garage and setting up the workshop in the third bay. That's probably going to run as much as a mid range TV, if not a high end job. Since the upstairs family room isn't currently set up, I'd end up with a TV just sitting around. Last thing I need is more clutter upstairs. I'll probably get the receiver and speakers before I get the TV.

Waiting, I can probably convince the wife to go with a nicer model as the cost differential will get rolled into all the other stuff we are buying for upstairs. On top of that, if I time it right, I might be able to pick up a discounted 2018 model as the 2019s roll out.

--SS

gmskking
Gerbil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:54 am

Good call. Smart TV's spy on you. I would avoid unless you do not care.
Main: Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Samsung 850 Evo | 16GB DDR3 | Antec P110 Luce | Windows 10
Other: Core i5 2500K | Toshiba TR200 240GB | 8GB DDR3 | Windows 10
Gaming: Xbox One X

End User

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 am

Good. Then they know I’m not using their stuff.

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 am

I don't know what your budget is -

but I like the Vizio Quantum 65" which is going for around $2100. It won't have the burn in that OLED still does and comes with Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10 support.

mac_h8r1

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Are you forced to connect any TV to WiFi? If you never join it to the network, there's no datapath.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Are you forced to connect any TV to WiFi? If you never join it to the network, there's no datapath.

In a setting where family or roommates roam freely, the only guarantee is to have the function absent or permanently disabled.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm

ludi wrote:
mac_h8r1 wrote:

In a setting where family or roommates roam freely, the only guarantee is to have the function absent or permanently disabled.

Faraday cage? :lol:

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:06 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

It was definitely a help to me when it came to looking for a TV.

I have a 55" TCL that was the best value for the money at the time (around 11 months ago). The 65" model of the 2018 version has been very well-reviewed. If you're going to do any gaming at all, I highly recommend it for the low input latency. Definitely the "budget" option, at around $800:

Otherwise I'd pick the rtings best-reviewed TV for your budget and just buy that. Their reviews are very thorough.

I am looking at TCL 4K TVs now as well, as they seem to be the most bang for the buck, and looked at that TCL the derFunk bought.

DPete27 wrote:

I also second this site as being a very good review site for TVs.
I would also spring for a warranty either from the store or maybe a 2nd party.
I don't know about other people, but I don't buy big TVs that often; last purchase was 2010, at which time my 2 year old 47" LCD died. I had the warranty, and ended up getting 50" LG Plasma and tried to save money and didn't get the warranty, and then I had to repair that one myself after two years, with help from a electronics shop on ebay.

As for the tv itself, It is nice to have extra features even if you don't plan on using them now; you might use them later - I'd look for certain things like:

4k, full-array local dimming, HDR, wider color gamut, and low input lag.
The TCL I linked below does all the above, including flickering the backlight to clear up fast motion and interpolate low frame rate content.

Yes, it is $300 more then your Samsung, but again, how often do you buy big TV?

liquid_mage
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:

On first startup the Vizio first screen was to try and connect to wifi, I don't care and connected it.
Intel I7-4770K@4ghz, MSI Z87-G45, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2400, Gigabyte Geforce 2080 , Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB WD Black, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:01 pm

You’ll need WiFi I’d you want to use your phone as a controller. I assume most don’t have BT?