Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fixing fancy picture mat

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:57 am

I just inherited a framed picture with a terribly fancy mat: inside the regular cutout is a 'ring' of mat, and that ring has come loose. Here's what it looks like:

You can see how it is no longer suspended in mid air and fell down to rest on the mat below. I want to fix it, but I want it to be done The Right Way®.

I googled a bit but couldn't find any how-tos on fancy mat techniques like this. I'm hoping someone here has some person experience with this and can provide some advice. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Fixing fancy picture mat

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 pm

It's tough to find info on this, but I think my best bet is double-sided tape. Last try at some ideas here, anyone?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Fixing fancy picture mat

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 am

Double-sided tape sounds like a possibility. It's been a long time since I watched this being done, but I recall that they laid the layers together using a minimum amount of weak adhesive from a bottle with an applicator on top, then carefully applied pressure with a roller to make sure that it was smooth and flat. The last time that I did something similar, I stacked a bunch of books on the item to keep it pressed flat for a few hours. You might inquire at your local framing store.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2