Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sony Pictures 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Survey

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:04 am

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Sony Pictures 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Survey

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:08 am

Well, I still don't own a Blu Ray player... so I'm gonna vote gouda!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:12 am

I believe I have a 4K Blu-ray player by virtue of having an Xbox One S. Really, considering how poorly physical media is doing these days, they ought to be just about giving-away the hardware for cost in order to sell media (a la inkjet printers).

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm

What a ridiculous survey. Of all the movies I would absolutely want to capture in 4K detail, not a single one of them was on that list.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Buub wrote:
What a ridiculous survey. Of all the movies I would absolutely want to capture in 4K detail, not a single one of them was on that list.

I have a feeling that's because they are already released or in process for re-release. This is really only Sony's non-AAA back-catalogue.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Buub wrote:

Wait, what? You DON'T want Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in glorious 4K HD? :lol:

The Egg

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:12 pm

I was thinking more about Sleepless In Seattle. You wouldn't want to ruin that one by watching a standard DVD for $1.99 from a resale shop. 4K Ultra HD is the bare minimum to watch Tom Hanks lay in a dark bedroom and talk on the phone.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:39 pm

4k is pointless in older movies. Most of the time, unless you filmed on 70mm (or 35mm in stark daylight) there's a lot of noise to deal with in your captured image. You're lucky if you can even get real 1080p of resolution out of the mess (after noise reduction).

And then there's HDR - you're not adding that to an existing print without completely redoing post, unless you fake it.

1080p Bluray was a lot easier sales pitch for you back-catalog.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:51 pm

defaultluser wrote:
4k is pointless in older movies. Most of the time, unless you filmed on 70mm (or 35mm in stark daylight) there's a lot of noise to deal with in your captured image. You're lucky if you can even get real 1080p of resolution out of the mess (after noise reduction).

And then there's HDR - you're not adding that to an existing print without completely redoing post, unless you fake it.

I will vehemently disagree with you on that. A good 35mm master will have plenty of detail that beyond what 1080p can resolve. 2160p can have a noticeable impact. Even "HDR"; the film captures more dynamic range than is part of Rec.709.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well, I still don't own a Blu Ray player... so I'm gonna vote gouda!

gouda for me also. I haven't watched tv at all in 6 or 8 years :o

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm

TV's still a 720p plasma and no plans to replace it in the foreseeable, nor do I have anything else capable of 4K.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Buub wrote:

Wait, what? You DON'T want Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs in glorious 4K HD? :lol:

I know it's hard to believe...

Redocbew

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:38 am

Stuart Little is the bomb, yo.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:49 am

bthylafh wrote:
TV's still a 720p plasma and no plans to replace it in the foreseeable, nor do I have anything else capable of 4K.

https://www.panasonic.com/middleeast/en ... ub400.html

Optimized Tone Remapping for SDR-TV

Unique optimized tone re-mapping technology for Ultra HD Biu-ray to SDR conversion which maximises the features of 4K content and detivers a better experience than Blu-ray on a SDR TV.

Could give new life to your plasma TV with better colors and 4K downscaled to 720p may look better than vanilla 720p.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:24 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
defaultluser wrote:

I will vehemently disagree with you on that. A good 35mm master will have plenty of detail that beyond what 1080p can resolve. 2160p can have a noticeable impact. Even "HDR"; the film captures more dynamic range than is part of Rec.709.

Properly captured 4K HDR footage replayed on an OLED at times feels like you are looking through a window. The best remaster may not approach that but it is still necessary for the archival of classics for future generations. Imagine your kids or grand kids having to watch Citizen Kane in 720p on a 16K Uber HD TV. Now THAT would be an upscaled mess.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:37 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
defaultluser wrote:

Properly captured 4K HDR footage replayed on an OLED at times feels like you are looking through a window. The best remaster may not approach that but it is still necessary for the archival of classics for future generations. Imagine your kids or grand kids having to watch Citizen Kane in 720p on a 16K Uber HD TV. Now THAT would be an upscaled mess.

It is difficult to compare effective resolution between 35 mm film and 4K digital because the nature of the noise as you approach the technical limits of the media are different, film does not introduce digital compression artifacts, and digital operates at a much higher frame rate. However, there's a comparable amount of information present per frame, and IMO the whole drive to 4K has been about making digital subjectively "as good as or better than" film in the majority of cases.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
It is difficult to compare effective resolution between 35 mm film and 4K digital because the nature of the noise as you approach the technical limits of the media are different, and film does not introduce digital compression artifacts. However, there's a comparable amount of information present, and IMO the whole drive to 4K has been about making digital subjectively "as good as film".

Subjectively speaking, whenever I have been wowed out of my wits by the 4K image quality of a movie, I make a point to check the camera used to shoot the movie. More often than not, it turns out to be an ARRI or RED digital camera. I can't remember the last time a 4K movie shot on film visually impressed me as much as a digitally shot one.

I checked this list and there doesn't appear to be a 35mm movie that was a visual spectacle for me.

From the looks of it, digital is the future. Film shot movies have been declining in numbers for some years now.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 am

Maybe because something that looks natural isn't as much of a "spectacle", to use your words. Dunkirk for example, was shot on 65mm Panavision & IMAX film.
Don't get me wrong, Digital is the way forward in 99% of the cases, but that has more to do with workflow and flexibility of shooting conditions that film doesn't allow for (in my opinion); it's not as cut and dry as a direct quality improvement.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:05 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Maybe because something that looks natural isn't as much of a "spectacle", to use your words. Dunkirk for example, was shot on 65mm Panavision & IMAX film.
Don't get me wrong, Digital is the way forward in 99% of the cases, but that has more to do with workflow and flexibility of shooting conditions that film doesn't allow for (in my opinion); it's not as cut and dry as a direct quality improvement.

Yeah, Dunkirk's 4K bluray is something I've been meaning to watch but haven't gotten around to it due to "life". Hopefully, I can form an opinion on it soon.
By the way, I am "partial" to stunning night scenes. For example, the night scenes in "Shape of water", though few, gave me "mental hard-ons" :oops: Maybe digital cameras capture them better?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:24 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
By the way, I am "partial" to stunning night scenes. For example, the night scenes in "Shape of water", though few, gave me "mental hard-ons" :oops: Maybe digital cameras capture them better?

Go get "Interstellar".
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:33 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Go get "Interstellar".

Honestly, hate that movie. Something about it was just depressing. Maybe humanity suffering and eating only corn for survival may have something to do with it.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Something about it was just depressing

The part where the theme couldn't possibly scream "science and space are the future!!!!!11" any louder, and yet it starts with the idea that a couple of square meters of probably damaged solar cells are going to power an entire farm, including huge automated harvesters?

You know, if that's how "physics" work in this universe, yeah, maybe those people in the girl's school saying we never landed on the moon were actually right.

---

If depression is anger turned inwards, flip that, and that's where I was, yes.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am

High Life is another disturbing space movie with a bleak outlook for humanity. Gravity, The Cloverfield Paradox and Lockout are far better and entertaining space movies. Heck, even Armageddon is better even though most of it isn't in space. "Life" was somewhat ok. Why, why isn't there a live version of Titan A.E. yet??? Damn, that would SO work as a superb movie.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:37 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Why, why isn't there a live version of Titan A.E. yet??? Damn, that would SO work as a superb movie.

That is a stellar movie. I remember loving it when I saw it in the theaters. A pretty decent space representation to be honest.

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Big Fish and A Passage to India are the only two on that list I care about.
I already have them on BD and ripped to the file server. Looking at the media info, Big Fish is actually encoded in MPEG-2, so that may get a worthwhile boost from a 4K HEVC UHD BD. A Passage to India, on the other hand, is fairly soft and probably won't benefit much from a UHD upgrade.
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.