Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Video encoding with high FPS

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:18 am

https://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subac ... 1573809746

...a doubling of the frame rate is desired in order to combat motion blur which becomes more noticeable with increased spatial resolution. Fortunately, this improves encoding efficiency, as differences between successive frames become smaller. Reportedly this will increase the bandwidth with only 15-25%.

That's pretty cool. Why isn't this being done already? Shoot video at 60fps and replay at 24/30fps with audio in realtime. Should lead to a lot of space savings. PCs and GPU's these days are certainly fast enough to handle something like this.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Video encoding with high FPS

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 am

Because even after 5 years since the last Hobbit film, even 48fps HFR has not taken off.

Playback at a lower rate will introduce judder. Besides, people seem to be just fine with regular 24fps films. So it is kind of like 3D, cool in the tech, a few "luminaries" sing its praises, but ultimately not catching on. At least not yet. When the whole workflow can be done faster and cheaper (4K originals are still a non-trivial matter for transport and editing work), they may come back again for consumers' dollars.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 am

Maybe the solution lies in adaptive fps video? Speed up or slow down the video as the scene requires. That would need a new video format, new tools, new software, new workflow. Any possibility this might happen in our lifetime?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:39 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Maybe the solution lies in adaptive fps video? Speed up or slow down the video as the scene requires. That would need a new video format, new tools, new software, new workflow. Any possibility this might happen in our lifetime?

Probably not, for the reasons you already listed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 am

I hate 24fps. Judder drives me insane. That’s why I have motion smoothing set on “high” on my TV. That’s helps quite a bit.

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:22 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
https://flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1573809746

Thanks for that!

Fascinating and sad as I collect dvds.
I've read that dvds were at a high in 2006? selling $16 Billion...Now $2 billion.
Same as Digital HD sales now.(no disk)

So the slow death of a format. (again).
And that explains why I can buy dvds of iZombie 1,2,3 and none for 4,5 and so many other shows.

Guess on the good side I've now spent the time and money to learned how to get around the problem...(no choice)...PITA.

Says VVC-H266 (V-V-C) is 30-50% better then HEVC-H265 for equal "preceived quality". Details to be finalized in 2020.

HEVC is common now but not yet "Plug and Play" in every device. So I'm still a X264.MP4 person.
I think VVC as plug&play is many,many years away. 2030s?

My only interest in 8K is the monitor panel. I still sometimes get "flashes" of a pixel pattern on my 28 inch 4K screen when I move my eyes.
Don't think that will happen with a 8K monitor.
I do have an 11 inch 1080p monitor that I can not see the pixels in(188 PPI). My 28" 4K is only 157 PPI-not enough.

Oh, did see "Linus" set up a 8K display. Had to feed 4 separate 4K video streams into it. That's nuts. 8K is going nowhere without HDMI 2.1.(consumer market)