Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

HGiG Mode for HDR gaming

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:57 am

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php ... 1585020920

Another development is HGiG Mode, which was actually added to 2019 LG OLED TVs via a firmware after launch. HGiG (HDR Gaming Interest Group) can be found as a setting option under 'Dynamic Tone Mapping'.

Enabling HGiG will ensure that tone-mapping adheres to the HGiG's specification for console games in HDR, meaning that tone-mapping will not be done twice (first on console and then on the TV).

HGiG is a way to make sure that you experience HDR console games from PlayStation and Xbox the way that the game creators had intended.

DAMMIT! They keep coming up with new ways to rob us of our hard earned cash :evil: What's worse is that consumers have no way of forcing them to update their firmware for such features which should have been standard from day one.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: HGiG Mode for HDR gaming

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 am

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing to buy this stuff.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 am

/i'm just saying this is supposed to be pretty basic stuff (ensuring there isn't duplication of work) but now they will sell it as a "feature" while previous consumers look on in dismay and remorse. They could offer it as a paid firmware upgrade but no, they won't do that.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 am

I am indeed overwhelmed with dismay and remorse.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:41 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
/i'm just saying this is supposed to be pretty basic stuff (ensuring there isn't duplication of work) but now they will sell it as a "feature" while previous consumers look on in dismay and remorse. They could offer it as a paid firmware upgrade but no, they won't do that.

...or just disable HDR on your TV if it's being done twice.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

...or just disable HDR on your TV if it's being done twice.

That would defeat the whole purpose of having an HDR tv. It would just show a tonemapped SDR picture then.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
That would defeat the whole purpose of having an HDR tv. It would just show a tonemapped SDR picture then.

Depends on the TV.

Just saying this seems like a lot of outrage over almost nothing.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:36 am

Waco wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Depends on the TV.

Just saying this seems like a lot of outrage over almost nothing.

Outrage is justified by the fact that I have TWO HDR TV's (LG 2018 model and Hisense 2019 model, both OLEDs) with almost $2900 dropped on them that do not have this feature and I am a gamer. If this were a PC, we would get this feature by way of an update but TV manufacturers are hell spawned bastards when it comes to supporting even their relatively recent TVs. Let's forget that this is about me being furious. At a basic level, this is unjust and unfair. In any other industry, you would support your customers to retain their loyalty but in this industry, they have been getting away with this crappy behavior for some time now. Why are consumer protection government agencies still sleeping on this?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:00 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Outrage is justified by the fact that I have TWO HDR TV's (LG 2018 model and Hisense 2019 model, both OLEDs) with almost $2900 dropped on them that do not have this feature and I am a gamer.

No, that justifies nothing. You're just looking for someone else to blame for your buyer's remorse. The only "problem" here is that you decided to drop nearly $3K on high-end TVs, when (as with all tech) there's always something new (and supposedly "better") just around the corner. If the situation pisses you off, then don't spend so much money on bleeding edge tech next time.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Why are consumer protection government agencies still sleeping on this?

Hmm... could it be because no laws have been broken? :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
If the situation pisses you off, then don't spend so much money on bleeding edge tech next time.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:40 am

https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf

After reading this document, I feel a lot better. Apparently, there are guidelines in there for console manufacturers to ensure optimal experience for gamers. That's good. Hopefully, my TVs will be detected by XbsX and PS5.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Stupid poster's gonna stupid.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x