Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Projector For Home Theater

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 am

If you were going to build a Home Theater what Projector would you build around and why?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Projector For Home Theater

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 am

Considering the price and quality of large TV's these days, and me still being on a 1080p projector and being very happy with it.
I would say this, make sure you really want a projector.

General issues.
* Screensize - The difference between small screen and large TV's these days are fairly small. Viewing Distance vs Screensize, you don't want to sit too close to a very large screen. I have 96" screen at 3.5m viewing distance. Slightly larger is alright, but that is fairly comfortable.
* Light control - projectors need a lot of light control, and even with good screens, don't expect to have much light in the room while using it.
* Throw distance, mounting - Roof, shelf in the back.
* 3D or no 3D. Shutter or polarized.
* Screen - You will need a good screen to make use of a projector. A good screen will last 2-3-4 projectors over easily. Often the most expensive part.
* DLP or LCD. Rainbow effect on DLP's can be really annoying if you see it.

Once the above is done, I would just go on reviews and choose whatever has the best panel, reviews with regards to resolution within the price range you have. Epson, Sony, JVC, BenQ, Optoma is various brands I would look at. No idea of Panasonic is still in the running, but I've had several of them and been happy. Still have a 1080p last non 3D projector as my main display for movies with a Steward Firehawk G3 screen.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:27 am

Apparently laser based projectors are worth every penny as they don't fade with time and there is no bulb to be replaced.
Worth every gold plated penny, but still...
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 am

It will be going into a legit 15x10 theater room that I am going to building out.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am

Also depends on whether you care about projector price range, lamp longevity and prices, 4K or not, blacks, initial setup difficulty (lens shift, etc.), gaming-related features, noise...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am

meerkt wrote:
Also depends on whether you care about projector price range, lamp longevity and prices, 4K or not, blacks, initial setup difficulty (lens shift, etc.), gaming-related features, noise...

Yes :P

However, those 4K ones are way out of budget.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Then you need to define budget. You're looking at about a grand to $1500 for a high-quality 1080P unit with a laser source. The 4k versions start around $3k:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Advanced-La ... 073P6Y5KM/

You can go way lower, of course, but the light output may or may not be as acceptable and fan noise is a possibility:
https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080HDR ... 07W62S2SJ/
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

setaG_lliB
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Dedicated theater rooms are great fun to build! Man, I started mine out with a CRT projector and a laserdisc player back in the day, but it's seen a couple of upgrades since then. :)

I'm just going to go ahead and recommend the projector that I currently use: a JVC DLA-NX7. It replaced a ~2011 Epson 1080p LCD projector, and the difference is absolutely insane. As it's a native 4096x2160 unit (not a "faux-K" pixel shifter), it's fairly expensive, but nowhere near the $25K or so that JVC charges for their laser projectors.

So why am I so in love with this machine?

-Unlike consumer DLP projectors, there's no rainbow effect.

-JVC added Frame Adapt HDR in a recent firmware update, which basically lets the unit adjust the HDR tone mapping for every frame of video, instead of relying on static HDR metadata to "get it right" for the entire video file. It works surprisingly well, and is about as close to Dolby Vision as you can get from a projector.

-The NX7 is an LCoS based unit (JVC calls it D-ILA). Although it is a liquid crystal based device, the pixel response time of liquid crystal on silicon is much faster than that of a standard LCD. As a result, 3D movies show absolutely no cross-talk. In fact, this thing handles 3D as well as my Samsung F8500 plasma. It's far better than any LCD TV I've seen--most of which suffer from horrendous cross-talk.

-2D motion resolution is also superb, with no visible blurring of fast moving objects. I've always used ancient versions of 3DMark to judge a display's pixel response time, because I used to see these benchmarks on CRTs all the time back in the day. I know exactly how they should look. Even today's gaming grade LCDs don't quite match the motion resolution of a CRT running these old tests. But on the DLA-NX7? There's not a hint of motion blur. Again, the only other modern display that can really mimic a CRT in these old tests is my F8500 plasma.

-The contrast ratio is absolutely unbelievable. You may have noticed the grey pillar box bars in the picture above. That's actually from the ambient lighting, not the projector itself. Turn off all the lights, and it's almost like having a freakin 110" OLED on the wall.

-The color accuracy is absolutely unbelievable. Out of box color accuracy is nearly spot-on. With a bit of additional tweaking? Perfection. Here's how a 4k/60 video looks on a 1.2 gain 110" AT screen. Projection distance is 16 ft, and the projector is running in low lamp mode.

-The bulbs are very stable--they don't lose nearly as much brightness as my old Epson did once they age past the 2000 hr mark.

-It is very quiet. I always run the unit in low lamp mode, which is more than bright enough even for HDR. In this mode, I can barely hear the fans.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Direct-view TVs are very bright and can be pretty big these days. Taking a quick peek at Amazon and BHphotovideo.com...
At 8K resolution, 75" starts at $3.0K. 82" goes for $5.7K. 98" is $60K.
At 4K resolution, 75" starts at a ridiculously low $0.7K. 82" goes for $1.7K. 86" goes for $2.0K. 98" is $8.8K. 220" is $257K to $335K.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2