Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: General photography thread [img heavy]

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 am

All of those shots are nice, especially like the 2nd and third portraits! First portrait only lacks a tiny bit of contrast to be great as well.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 am

Nice shots Danny. What hardware are/were you using?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:06 am

That third portrait (living room scene) could have been shot for J.Crew or Land's End. The subject is framed by a perfect "lifestyle" balance of contemporary clothing and furniture.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:19 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Nice shots Danny. What hardware are/were you using?

Thanks. I sold my 6D a couple months ago and upgraded to the 5D IV. Have a few nice lenses.
The info is on the "details" tab on the 500px hosting site
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Ashamed to say I hadn't heard of the 500px website before. Thanks! Kinda neat that you can look at pictures from a given camera body.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Last edited by danny e. on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm

I took these a while back, but just got around to editing them.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Ask that lady if she likes truckers for me.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

TRB
Gerbil In Training

Re:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Aphasia wrote:
First, i hope a mod will make this a sticky *hint*
Second, its a great idea. We have a thread at the Ars fora thats up to 158 pages now. There's some great photos in there.

Here are a few tidbits to start with. Ill disperse my photos over a few pages as my friend is hosting the server.

Golden Gate

Alien Orchid

Tulip

Brilliant pictures! you must have one excellent camera

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:45 am

Loomis Street BNSF grade crossing, Naperville IL
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm

ludi wrote:
That third portrait (living room scene) could have been shot for J.Crew or Land's End. The subject is framed by a perfect "lifestyle" balance of contemporary clothing and furniture.

That was sort of what I was thinking. The green with darker lines and patterns especially looks really nice on her and contrasts really well with the bright furniture. Nice shot and subject.

Just realized those were posted last year :P. It's been some time since I've seen this thread active.

JBI... what name do you have for that shot :D? Lots of grain, I'm assuming you jumped the ISO up pretty high, as well as exposure. What were your settings?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Welch wrote:
ludi wrote:

That was sort of what I was thinking. The green with darker lines and patterns especially looks really nice on her and contrasts really well with the bright furniture. Nice shot and subject.

Just realized those were posted last year :P. It's been some time since I've seen this thread active.

JBI... what name do you have for that shot :D? Lots of grain, I'm assuming you jumped the ISO up pretty high, as well as exposure. What were your settings?

I assumed it was a low light, very slow shutter shot of a train crossing. The white "fog" would be the side of grey/white covered hopper cars and you are seeing the scene on the other side exposed through the gaps in the cars.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 pm

Damn, I need me a new SLR. Given what I want (excellent low-light AF, fast glass, and decent high-ISO image quality) it'll be spendy.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:53 pm

After a while, the cost of the DSLR or CSC (mirrorless) camera body pales in comparison to what you have invested in a collection of professional/luxury grade lenses. The saving grace is that a good lens will still be a good lens twenty years from now, while you're probably going to be coveting a new camera body in five years or so. One great piece of advice that I got from a professional photographer is that the best camera in the world is the one that you have with you. He related that he had gotten paid for many images that he had shot with a beat-up low-end Nikon DSLR, because he carried the camera with him everywhere (e.g.: into the supermarket) and had it handy to capture the shot when the opportunities arose.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Welch wrote:
ludi wrote:

I assumed it was a low light, very slow shutter shot of a train crossing. The white "fog" would be the side of grey/white covered hopper cars and you are seeing the scene on the other side exposed through the gaps in the cars.

Yeah I noticed it was a train, just curious about the other settings. How you doing SS!? Funny that I was just thinking of you the other day. Was walking through the grocery store with my son and came across these...

I started chuckling out loud like a mad man. I figured that is why I hadn't seen a post from you for a long while.

I'm kind of bummed that I haven't had the chance to use my little Sony A230 much since I got it. It really sat there for a bunch and then a friend borrowed it while on a trip down to California. He never bothered to give it back, but then again I've got quite a bit of his stuff too. It is very true that about the camera that you have with you. No way in heck does my phone do that good of a job in low light situations, but it is always the "camera" that I have with me. Unfortunately I wasn't that good with photography enough to warrant running around with a full on DSLR on a regular basis. I always felt like I had to make time to go out on a photograph excursion, which is why I'm sure I missed tons of opportunities. Some people have it, others (me) don't. I'll just live vicariously through the rest of you ;)

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

SecretSquirrel

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 am

Welch wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Welch wrote:

Yeah I noticed it was a train, just curious about the other settings. How you doing SS!? Funny that I was just thinking of you the other day. Was walking through the grocery store with my son and came across these...

I started chuckling out loud like a mad man. I figured that is why I hadn't seen a post from you for a long while.

I'm kind of bummed that I haven't had the chance to use my little Sony A230 much since I got it. It really sat there for a bunch and then a friend borrowed it while on a trip down to California. He never bothered to give it back, but then again I've got quite a bit of his stuff too. It is very true that about the camera that you have with you. No way in heck does my phone do that good of a job in low light situations, but it is always the "camera" that I have with me. Unfortunately I wasn't that good with photography enough to warrant running around with a full on DSLR on a regular basis. I always felt like I had to make time to go out on a photograph excursion, which is why I'm sure I missed tons of opportunities. Some people have it, others (me) don't. I'll just live vicariously through the rest of you ;)

Unfortunately I haven't had the camera out in the better part of a year. I'm in the phase of life where hobby time is at an ultimate premium.

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Welch wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Welch wrote:

Yeah I noticed it was a train, just curious about the other settings.

LOL... somehow missed the notification that this thread had updated. Sorry for not replying!

Believe it or not, the train pic was taken on my phone (LG G4), hand-held, at default settings. I had just arrived at the station on an outbound train late in the evening after attending an after-work event in the city, and had to wait to cross the tracks to get to where my car was parked. Whipped out the phone and just started taking pictures of the train going by. That was one of the ones that turned out OK. Cropped and converted to greyscale in GIMP.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Welch wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Yeah I noticed it was a train, just curious about the other settings.

LOL... somehow missed the notification that this thread had updated. Sorry for not replying!

Believe it or not, the train pic was taken on my phone (LG G4), hand-held, at default settings. I had just arrived at the station on an outbound train late in the evening after attending an after-work event in the city, and had to wait to cross the tracks to get to where my car was parked. Whipped out the phone and just started taking pictures of the train going by. That was one of the ones that turned out OK. Cropped and converted to greyscale in GIMP.

Wow, never would have e believed that was from a phone on auto had you not told me. The grain is the only noticeable thing in the entire photo that is off. The focus is on the tracks and no noticable blur on them.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Welch wrote:
Wow, never would have e believed that was from a phone on auto had you not told me. The grain is the only noticeable thing in the entire photo that is off. The focus is on the tracks and no noticable blur on them.

Yeah, I was surprised how well it came out, especially given that it was hand-held in very low light. With the train whizzing past just a few feet away, I imagine the auto-focus zeroed in on the only high-contrast stationary objects it could find, namely the lights reflecting off the rails. I really like the contrast between the rails and the hazy quality of the rest of the image, and how the gap between the cars frames the railroad crossing sign on the other side of the tracks.

SecretSquirrel

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I took a short vacation to Southwest Colorado last weekend. Lots of beautiful scenery.

We went off roading on Sunday. Some of the shots are not the best as they were taken from a moving Jeep on rough terrain.

SecretSquirrel

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Monday, we went hiking and horseback riding.

SecretSquirrel

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm

The first two waterfall pictures are North Clear Creek Falls and the latter three are South Clear Creek Falls.

Falling water is definitely one of those things that I could take many, many pictures of. It's an interesting mix of very abstract and very concrete.

--SS

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Last edited by danny e. on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Taken with my phone, but I love the lucky timing on this shot:

oliv88
Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 am

My brother collects Die-cast models for cars and motorcycles as a hobby. He clicks the pictures in his self-made photobooth with his Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Have a look at these amazing shots.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Last edited by danny e. on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:00 pm

this place is like a morgue

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:55 am

That's a great sunset, Danny. My recent sunset shots weren't nearly so impressive.

Straits of Juan de Fuca, near the mouth of the Elwha river:

This was just a fun shot to see what the camera would do in a dim environment, hand-held at f/4, ¼s, ISO12800:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 am

I'm mostly taking baby pictures these days, which I don't post online. I did snap a nice double rainbow on Sunday, though:

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
That's a great sunset, Danny. My recent sunset shots weren't nearly so impressive.

Straits of Juan de Fuca, near the mouth of the Elwha river:

au contraire, very nice.