I'm still a CRT holdout, I'm running an FW900
- the greatest CRT ever made by man - but it is slowly dieing and there is nothing I can do to revive it...
As eager as I am to get a new screen it seems there is nothing out there that will be exactly what I want - and remain exactly what I want for as long as my trusty Trinitron friends have...
Here's the specs of what I would consider my ideal LCD monitor(ranked in order of importance)
- I run at 2048x1280 right now, so anything much less is out of the question
- because I like my pixels on the small size (negative for anything less than 1920x1200)
- I'm willing to pay above average for just the right specs
4. S-IPS or S-PVA
- because I've seen enough TNs to know that I'd prefer not to own one
5. Glossy screen
- as a cave dweller there won't be glare problems and I prefer the look
6. LED backlight
- because I've heard they look so much better - haven't seen one in person thoughNothing
out there hits all of those marks, but a few of them manage 3-4 which is pretty good...
1. Lenovo L220x
- this has been my first choice for a long time, provides my top 4 choices2. ViewSonic VLED221wm - brand new on my radar, hits 3, 5, & 6 however 1680x1050 is a huge negative and cost is pushing the limit
3. DoubleSight DS-245W
- has had my attention for awhile, hits 1, 3, & 44. SAMSUNG 245BW - nice semi-generic 24" display, hits 1 & 3 - I like Samsung screens historically
5. DoubleSight DS-263N
- per recommendations in this thread and on Anandtech - sounds like a sweet panel but it's pretty large, hits 1, 3, & 4
6. Gateway FHD2400
- I almost included this on my list the first time - it seems well liked by most, hits 1, 3, & 5
I don't care about HDMI, HDCP, USB ports, any input other than DVI, speakers, misc garbage... I just want a screen for gaming and basic desktop activities than has awesome
picture quality. I'm not too concerned about response time, everything seems to be just fine these days but I've never gamed on an LCD and I've never even seem someone game on a S-PVA panel which is one thing that makes me nervous about them, the input lag - I'm not super hardcore or anything though, so I think it will be fine but I'd like some feedback...
I know I'm not likely to get LED backlighting for anything less than the Viewsonic for quite awhile (certainly not with 1920x1200 and a non-TN panel), and I know I ranked it and the glossy screen low on importance, but I just can't let go of them to make the otherwise obvious choice of getting a L220x... I feel like I should keep waiting, but I'm not sure what I want exactly will ever exist... Thoughts???