Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Canon 50D / Nikon D90 / Misc new lenses

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:17 pm

so, i was planning on waiting for the 50D since i figured it'd be out next spring.
however, my rebel xt was acting up a bit and scared me into buying the 40D a month ago for my vacation trip.

sounds like the 50D is coming out in Sept now. :( perhaps i can sell my 40D.
btw, for anyone still using a rebel xt or xti.. the 40D is a HUGE step up.

18th From Japan we hear of some 50D Specs [Thanks for the info/translation]

Annouced on 26th Aug (Start sellling in late Sept)
15.10 MP 3.0' VGA monitor, 6.3FPS, 9 point AF, LV, improved dust-removal system(or improved LV as well)
Body only:150000 Yen, With 17-65 200000 Yen, With 18-200 220000 Yen,18-200 lens 80000 Yen.
Digic IV will be used in the upcoming IXUS but not on 50D.
Note it was 17-65 in the translation we were sent - might be a typo for 17-55

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/came ... n_50D.html

naturally, still in the rumor stage.. so who knows.

I believe the new 5D replacement (5D II ? ) will also be announced around the same time. That should be interesting as well. I'm hoping to go to a FF camera sometime.. but the price is still a bit high for a hobby. although i've already spent around 6K for this hobby. :)
Last edited by danny e. on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Canon 50D

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 pm

danny e. wrote:
so, i was planning on waiting for the 50D since i figured it'd be out next spring.
however, my rebel xt was acting up a bit and scared me into buying the 40D a month ago for my vacation trip.

18th From Japan we hear of some 50D Specs [Thanks for the info/translation]

Annouced on 26th Aug (Start sellling in late Sept)
15.10 MP 3.0' VGA monitor, 6.3FPS, 9 point AF, LV, improved dust-removal system(or improved LV as well)
Body only:150000 Yen, With 17-65 200000 Yen, With 18-200 220000 Yen,18-200 lens 80000 Yen.
Digic IV will be used in the upcoming IXUS but not on 50D.
Note it was 17-65 in the translation we were sent - might be a typo for 17-55

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/came ... n_50D.html

naturally, still in the rumor stage.. so who knows.

I believe the new 5D replacement (5D II ? ) will also be announced around the same time. That should be interesting as well. I'm hoping to go to a FF camera sometime.. but the price is still a bit high for a hobby. although i've already spent around 6K for this hobby. :)

Wow, seems kinda quick to replace the 40d already. I figured that the 5d replacement would be announced soon, but not the 50d.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Hmm. That's quite an intriguing idea. I'll keep my eyes open for if you decide to upgrade. I hope my XTi doesn't hear and get made at me. :lol:

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Does the 40D lose functionality when a successor is released? Does the 50D have any features that make it a significant step up from the 40D?

I may just be reading too much into your words, but it seems like you're stressing about all the wrong things. Better gear can be more fun or interesting, but won't necessarily yield better photos. Imagine all the pictures you could take with a 40D between now and the release of the 50D.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:02 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

Does the 40D lose functionality when a successor is released? Does the 50D have any features that make it a significant step up from the 40D?
An even better question: does the 50D exist?
SPOOFE wrote:
I may just be reading too much into your words, but it seems like you're stressing about all the wrong things. Better gear can be more fun or interesting, but won't necessarily yield better photos. Imagine all the pictures you could take with a 40D between now and the release of the 50D.
It's not like moving between sequential cameras in the same market segment released all of one year apart tends to give huge jumps in anything.

Maybe it's just target obsession - after planning to stretch old gear until a new camera is released, I suppose I can understand the annoyance of having it give up a few months early.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:51 pm

SPOOFE wrote:

i'm not selling my 40D until the 50D comes out. i'm only lamenting the 1.5month gap between the purchase and the (maybe)announcement of the 50D.
.. the biggest feature for me in the 50D is the higher-res lcd. and that only matters to me because i dont have a laptop to take on trips. as soon as i have a laptop i wont care and probably wont use the lcd anymore. problem is.. i cant justify buying a laptop since i'd probably only use it on extended trips... and those happen a couple times a year.
mattsteg wrote:

indeed. judging by past years, it shouldnt be out till spring 2009. Canon has gotten a bit "behind", so it wouldnt shock me if they released a bit early.. but I'm not convinced yet.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:10 pm

danny e. wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:

i'm not selling my 40D until the 50D comes out. i'm only lamenting the 1.5month gap between the purchase and the (maybe)announcement of the 50D.
.. the biggest feature for me in the 50D is the higher-res lcd. and that only matters to me because i dont have a laptop to take on trips. as soon as i have a laptop i wont care and probably wont use the lcd anymore. problem is.. i cant justify buying a laptop since i'd probably only use it on extended trips... and those happen a couple times a year.
mattsteg wrote:

indeed. judging by past years, it shouldnt be out till spring 2009. Canon has gotten a bit "behind", so it wouldnt shock me if they released a bit early.. but I'm not convinced yet.

For my case I will probably update my 40d with the replacement to the 5d, in a couple of years. My work might be sending me to Vermont to do a photo shoot of a recently completed building, and if that becomes a regular occurrence than that might move my upgrade schedule a little earlier, especially if they decide to buy it for me...

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 pm

danny e. wrote:
...the biggest feature for me in the 50D is the higher-res lcd. and that only matters to me because i dont have a laptop to take on trips. as soon as i have a laptop i wont care and probably wont use the lcd anymore. problem is.. i cant justify buying a laptop since i'd probably only use it on extended trips... and those happen a couple times a year.

You could purchase a subnotebook like an Eee PC. It'll be inexpensive, and will have an LCD that's larger than 3" on which to view (and store!) your photos while on trips.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
danny e. wrote:
...the biggest feature for me in the 50D is the higher-res lcd. and that only matters to me because i dont have a laptop to take on trips. as soon as i have a laptop i wont care and probably wont use the lcd anymore. problem is.. i cant justify buying a laptop since i'd probably only use it on extended trips... and those happen a couple times a year.

You could purchase a subnotebook like an Eee PC. It'll be inexpensive, and will have an LCD that's larger than 3" on which to view (and store!) your photos while on trips.

The Eee isn't exactly flush on storage space...

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:51 pm

seems the china canon site put up the specs temporarily.. so starting to appear more than just a rumor.
i'm actually a little suprised at the 15.1MP number. thats a fairly big jump for canon, who is usually more conservative. perhaps they're tired of losing the marketing war to nikon.
at any rate.. it will be interesting to see.
I probably will sell my 40D if i can get a decent price but that'll still mean spending another 600-800 if i buy early. probably will wait for all the reviews for sure. plus.. i have not even completely learned the 40D stuff yet. :oops: too busy with the real job.

I'm really curious what the 5D II will be like.

sounds like nikon might be releasing the D90 soon too?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:07 pm

danny e. wrote:
seems the china canon site put up the specs temporarily.. so starting to appear more than just a rumor.
i'm actually a little suprised at the 15.1MP number. thats a fairly big jump for canon, who is usually more conservative. perhaps they're tired of losing the marketing war to nikon.
at any rate.. it will be interesting to see.
I probably will sell my 40D if i can get a decent price but that'll still mean spending another 600-800 if i buy early. probably will wait for all the reviews for sure. plus.. i have not even completely learned the 40D stuff yet. :oops: too busy with the real job.

sounds like nikon might be releasing the D90 soon too?

The D90's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point. It's surprising it wasn't released when the D700 was, to be honest. The leaked 50D specs do look a bit strange.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:20 pm

mattsteg wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:
danny e. wrote:

The Eee isn't exactly flush on storage space...

That depends on if you happen to have an external USB drive you can use. My EEE has a 320 gig USB drive with it so I wouldnt say its short on storage space. With out a drive yes its short on storage but USB hard drives are cheap

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:22 pm

Hance wrote:
That depends on if you happen to have an external USB drive you can use. My EEE has a 320 gig USB drive with it so I wouldnt say its short on storage space. With out a drive yes its short on storage but USB hard drives are cheap

True, an Eee plus USB HD is probably cheaper than the dedicated photo-storage gadgets that, while convenient looking, are very pricy and somewhat limited.

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:35 am

i'm actually a little suprised at the 15.1MP number. thats a fairly big jump for canon, who is usually more conservative.

I would disagree; ever since the first Digital Rebel/10D days, Canon's always been quick to bump up the megapixels with each successive model jump. Nikon, conversely, has tended to hold onto a particular sensor for quite a while, particularly the 6.3 count. I'm pretty sure Nikon doesn't make their own sensors, so if they order them from a third party (Sony, I think?) it's probably financially easier to get huge batches. Canon, on the other hand, makes their own sensors, don't they?

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:38 am

SPOOFE wrote:
i'm actually a little suprised at the 15.1MP number. thats a fairly big jump for canon, who is usually more conservative.

I would disagree; ever since the first Digital Rebel/10D days, Canon's always been quick to bump up the megapixels with each successive model jump. Nikon, conversely, has tended to hold onto a particular sensor for quite a while, particularly the 6.3 count. I'm pretty sure Nikon doesn't make their own sensors, so if they order them from a third party (Sony, I think?) it's probably financially easier to get huge batches. Canon, on the other hand, makes their own sensors, don't they?

ugh.
Model     Announced   Effective pixels   
EOS D30    Apr 2000   3.1 mp   
EOS D60    Feb 2002   6.3 mp   
EOS 10D    Feb 2003   6.3 mp   
EOS 20D    Aug 2004   8.2 mp 
EOS 30D    Feb 2006   8.2 mp 
EOS 40D    Aug 2007   10.1 mp   

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

perhaps you're thinking about the Rebel line only?

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 am

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... n&ie=UTF-8

if this is really real, that is quite the large step up in features.
150,000 exposure shutter life? I've never seen Canon advertise shutter life on the non-pro models.
looks like they're just trying to match and exceed everything the 300D has. nice.

EDIT: seems the 40D was 100K exposures, i must have been thinking about the rebel line... which i believe was 50K.

Hopefully there is a real announcement soon. I remain a tad skeptical.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm

sure seems like everyone is on the 18-200mm bandwagon.

what I'd really rather see is a nice 15-105mm lens.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:49 pm

danny e. wrote:
sure seems like everyone is on the 18-200mm bandwagon.

what I'd really rather see is a nice 15-105mm lens.

The (nikon) D90s kit lens is 18-105mm VR.

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:58 pm

I still think I will still hold out for the 5D Mark II, maybe next summer.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 pm

SPOOFE
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:37 am

danny e. wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:

ugh.
Model     Announced   Effective pixels   
EOS D30    Apr 2000   3.1 mp   
EOS D60    Feb 2002   6.3 mp   
EOS 10D    Feb 2003   6.3 mp   
EOS 20D    Aug 2004   8.2 mp 
EOS 30D    Feb 2006   8.2 mp 
EOS 40D    Aug 2007   10.1 mp   

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/

perhaps you're thinking about the Rebel line only?

I'm thinking of Canon, which, yes, includes their Rebel line which, amazingly, isn't in that cute little list you saw fit to provide.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:51 am

p645n
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 am

danny e. wrote:

Really?
The price of PRIMO QUALITY used XTi's mean I can buy two of them for the price of a 40D -- or one of them & a solid prime or two (think 28 & 50).
That low XTi price is due to those who usually talk much more then shoot -- you know the ones those that say a "40D is a HUGE step up".
Do I know what I'm talking about?
Probably as I've run 15,000 shots through each of my XTi's and you'd be very very hard put to find a situation where a 40D would have produced a better image in any of those shots.
So in my opinion photographically the XTi is the equal of the 40D -- where as ergonomically or maybe (mainly unused) bells & whistle wise the 40D may pull ahead.
And the two XTi body to one 40D concept?
Try shooting events or street or any other subject under rapidly changing conditions. An XTi with a 70-200 & a second with something like a 17-40 will produce quality shots while the 40D will go through fumbling lens changes.
So what am I waiting for? The 5D replacement so I can buy a couple of used PRIMO QUALITY 5D's cheap from someone who has to have the latest & not necessarily greatest.
Finally -- what do I suggest?
Always spend the bucks on quality glass (& that means no 18-200 zooms) -- then mount that great glass on the previous generations bodies.
Rats in the hold.
Crews all dead.
I fear the end is near...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 am

The EOS 40D does much better than the Rebel XTi manages at high ISO. I'd like to see some test results for the EOS 50D with its new high-density sensor, it's ISO 12800 :o capability, and its Digic IV processor.
The EOS 40D (and Rebel XSi and 50D) have 14-bit color RAW images that the Rebel XTi lacks.
The EOS 40D has higher maximum flash sync speed than the Rebel XTi.
The EOS 40D has better auto-focus capabilities than the Rebel XTi.
6.5 fps shooting?

Perhaps the biggest difference is the ergonomics.

EOS 40D has live view that the Rebel XTi lacks.
EOS 40D has a larger, brighter viewfinder.
EOS 40D has a superior grip.
EOS 40D has more dials and buttons to make the controls much more accessible than on the Rebel XTi.

Just because you may get a better value by buying older consumer-level equipment does not mean that the expensive new prosumer equipment is not better, in absolute terms.

I have read comments from a couple of professionals who have switched to the Rebel XSi as "good enough," with the idea that they can keep two or three bodies, abuse them, then easily replace them when they break, rather than having a stroke every time they damage their expensive 1Ds-III cameras.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 am

SPOOFE wrote:
I'm thinking of Canon, which, yes, includes their Rebel line which, amazingly, isn't in that cute little list you saw fit to provide.

the list didnt include the rebel line because that is not the line that I was referring to in the original statement about Canon being conservative. The thread title is 50D.. not XSi.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:40 am

p645n wrote:
danny e. wrote:

Really?
The price of PRIMO QUALITY used XTi's mean I can buy two of them for the price of a 40D -- or one of them & a solid prime or two (think 28 & 50).
Great...if they work for you.
p645n wrote:
That low XTi price is due to those who usually talk much more then shoot -- you know the ones those that say a "40D is a HUGE step up".
No it's not. It's because they're a low-end model that's out of production and has been supplanted in Canon's lineup by 2 new models. It's clearly not going to sell for the price of a new updated model or very close to that, as people would just buy the new one. The price has nothing to do with much beyond that. When you're selling an updated body new for a tad over 600, a used example of the previous model's going to be somewhere between $400 and $500 in price. That's true independent of the 40D and other higher-end cameras.
p645n wrote:
Probably as I've run 15,000 shots through each of my XTi's and you'd be very very hard put to find a situation where a 40D would have produced a better image in any of those shots.
If you pull up dark shadows enough you'd probably see a bit of a difference there from the 14-bit RAW of the 40D.
p645n wrote:
So in my opinion photographically the XTi is the equal of the 40D -- where as ergonomically or maybe (mainly unused) bells & whistle wise the 40D may pull ahead.
Of course they produce similar image quality - they're cameras from the same company (even that's not all that vital, everyone's fairly close to be honest) using the same size sensor. The ergonomics and operation are another matter entirely. If I were to use a rebel for an extended period, my hands would cramp up from the horribly undersized woman's grip and I'd be incredibly annoyed at the interface in general. (I'd also miss nikon niceties even on the 40D, but that's another matter entirely).
p645n wrote:
Try shooting events or street or any other subject under rapidly changing conditions. An XTi with a 70-200 & a second with something like a 17-40 will produce quality shots while the 40D will go through fumbling lens changes.
Sure, but at the same time if you're sticking with one lens and the conditions are truly rapidly changing, the better controls of the 40D come into play. Same goes for fast action with the better AF and for some subjects better continuous shooting rate.
p645n wrote:
So what am I waiting for? The 5D replacement so I can buy a couple of used PRIMO QUALITY 5D's cheap from someone who has to have the latest & not necessarily greatest.
That fits your needs. Great. It's not like having differently-priced bodies that produce the same quality images and are differentiated by features and capabilities other that pure static photographic quality is a new thing (leaving aside the slight advantages that the 40D might have in certain circumstances).
p645n wrote:
Always spend the bucks on quality glass (& that means no 18-200 zooms) -- then mount that great glass on the previous generations bodies.
That's reasonable enough, depending on budget.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:48 am

mattsteg wrote:
p645n wrote:
Sure, but at the same time if you're sticking with one lens and the conditions are truly rapidly changing, the better controls of the 40D come into play. Same goes for fast action with the better AF and for some subjects better continuous shooting rate.

FWIW, I never had any focus problems on my XTi with any of my lenses, including the 70/200 f/2.8 (except for those few times that I had forgotten that I turned manual focus on :oops: ). I was able to get a picture of a pigeon flying through the UF football stadium during a gaming, and it focused on the bird no problem with a very busy background. With good glass, searching really isn't a problem unless you are in really low light.
</my experience>

I'm not denying that the 40d is an upgrade though.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

p645n wrote:
danny e. wrote:

Really?

have you used the 40D? do you shoot the XTi in anything besides auto mode?

i didnt think the 40D would impress me much more than my XT until I actually bought it and started using it. It is a huge upgrade. especially from my XT.
JustAnEngineer and mattsteg pointed out several things..

this one difference right here is enough for me to say its a huge upgrade:
ISO Settings  
  XT/XTI    100, ---, ---, 200, ---, ---, 400, ---, ---, 800, , ---, ---, 1600
  40D       100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600 

having more flexibility comes in mighty handy sometimes and in almost all areas the 40D is a nice step up from the Rebel line.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm excited that the 50d has the digic4 processor.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I'm excited that the 50d has the digic4 processor.

What does that even mean?