Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

michael_d
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I have an almost 2 year old Samsung LCD TV model LNS4051, I think that this TV is dying.

When TV sits idle for a while and when I attempt to turn it on, it makes initial clicking sound and red light flashes for a few seconds and then disappears. A few seconds after a series of double-clicks (5-8) are followed for a few minutes and eventually the TV turns on. However, if TV is ON for a while and when I turn it off and then immediately back on there are no delays TV turns on normally.

There are no picture quality problems and once the TV is on it works fine, there are no clicking sounds nor does it turn itself off. I have already tried to unplug the power cable but it did not help.

Finally, I decided to call Samsung and they did not have any suggestions other than unplugging the power cable. Since the TV set is out of warranty I requested Samsung to provide me with a certified service technician, they told me that the only techs that they have in my area work under warranty and I live in Toronto :o. Samsung does not have service techs in Toronto that they can recommend :-? what a shame...

Anybody have heard and/or encountered this problem?

Any info is appreciated.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 pm

I would check http://www.avsforum.com and see if anyone else is having that issue. Other than that, I can't help, sorry.

beijin1
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I have the same TV. I have had it for about a year and a half. About two months ago, I started having problems with the picture going out but I would still have audio. I called Samsung and they gave me the number of a local tech. The Tech came out and said that it was probably a panel problem. (the problem was intermittent so when he came out, the tv was working) He suggested calling Samsung even though it is out of warranty. Now, the TV does not work at all. I contacted Samsung this evening and asked to have my case reviewed by their case management team. I don't know if it will do any good or not. But, who wants to be stuck with a $1000 TV that can't be used? (the tech said that it would cost almost that much to repair it). Well, good luck with your TV. If I receive any positive results with Samsung, I will post about it.

bubbanezz
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm having the exact same problem as mentioned iat the start of the post. (the power on issue) Has anyone found a solution for it?

As for the sound but no picture issue, I had that happen as well. Took it in for service (to the tune of $400) and it was discovered that a spot on the circuit board had virtually no solder.

billne
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:30 am

Faulty parts on PS board , bad press for Samsung

Because the Samsung LNS4051D would not turn on and the power LED would blink 4 times and the relay would click and this would repeat again and again. I replaced power supply board parts CM806, 811, 812 & 817, all 1000 uf 10v capacitors, three had their tops bulged up slightly that I missed on initial visual inspection. After seeing the reports of problems with these caps on http://www.fixya.com/support/t1336881-w ... urn_or_off , I replaced them with Radio Shack part 272-1032, 1000 uf, 35v. They are slightly bigger, but fit OK. TV is working fine now. Cost was 4 x $1.59 = $6.36 plus the time. I saved between $100 to 500 in the process of either replacing the board or getting the unit serviced. If you are not comfortable replacing components which means using a soldering iron, you can replace the power circuit board, available from http://www.discount-merchant.com/Produc ... &&Click=46.

[email protected]
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:16 pm

I have a very similiar problem with the same tv. Samsung has been no help at all and it seems like they really don't that my 2000 dollar tv didn't last longer than a year and a half. but yes it just barely outlasted the waranty which is convienent for them. If there are any easy ways to fix this I would to have my tv working again

[email protected]
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Billne, I replaced the 4 1000 uf capacitors becuase I saw they were done (like you said if tops are convex) . put the board back in the tv and it doesnt work. is there any other way of finding out what else needs to be replaced? or are there certain ones that usually all go together? any help is greatly appreciated.

rpearlberg
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:50 am

I'm having the same issue as the first post. Samsung is no help at all. Just had one guy come out and say it will cost $550 to replace the power supply. Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this for cheap. I'm in Connecticut. I can deal with it for now, but they said it will keep getting worse and eventually the screen will die also.

renh
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am

Any one with this problem should take 5 minutes to open the tv back. Lay it on a flat surface with screen down and remove the screws. Pull the back off and look at the circuit board that is exposed an in the center of the TV, in the upper right hand corner of this board look at the tops of the capacitors #cm 806,811,812&817 you will notice the tops bulged up and possiblly some black leakage. If you do order a new power board from this link http://www.discount-merchant.com/Produc ... &&Click=46. it cost $179.00 change it out and you will be back in business.It is not a difficult job. I plan on putting in new capacitors and fixing my original board also as I expect the replacement will only last 2 years as it has the same faulty capacitors on it. I hate to see people getting ripped off by samsung or a TV repaip shop as this cost to repair is approx. $600-$850.00 dollars, and thats if the TV repair guy can even diagnose this problem. They generally keep changing expensive parts untill they get it working if at all while you lose your TV for a lengthy time THANKS "billne" for steering me in the right direction...Good Luck and don't be afraid to at least take a look..

KatherineSienaLe
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 am

I'm having a similar problem. My LCD system appears to power on, at least the power on lamp turns green, but I the LCD stays off. From looking at this forum, I guess this is not an isolated problem. I found this article online discussing Samsung's response: http://www.articlesbase.com/ethics-articles/recession-plus-corruption-equals-doom-for-national-service-organizations-744502.html

If this is a "design" problem, shouldn't Samsung repair the unit for free?

rpearlberg
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:17 pm

renh wrote:
Any one with this problem should take 5 minutes to open the tv back. Lay it on a flat surface with screen down and remove the screws. Pull the back off and look at the circuit board that is exposed an in the center of the TV, in the upper right hand corner of this board look at the tops of the capacitors #cm 806,811,812&817 you will notice the tops bulged up and possiblly some black leakage. If you do order a new power board from this link http://www.discount-merchant.com/Produc ... &&Click=46. it cost $179.00 change it out and you will be back in business.It is not a difficult job. I plan on putting in new capacitors and fixing my original board also as I expect the replacement will only last 2 years as it has the same faulty capacitors on it. I hate to see people getting ripped off by samsung or a TV repaip shop as this cost to repair is approx. $600-$850.00 dollars, and thats if the TV repair guy can even diagnose this problem. They generally keep changing expensive parts untill they get it working if at all while you lose your TV for a lengthy time THANKS "billne" for steering me in the right direction...Good Luck and don't be afraid to at least take a look..

Would this apply to the LN-S4041D also?

renh
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm

To rpearlberg.
I think the model # you mentioned is the same as mine although there are more numbers
My model # is LNS4051 DX/XAA. Believe it or not my 42" Samsung LCD is starting to have this power on problem , same as the 40" I opened the TV and Found one bad capacitor and 2 others that are on their way out. Just ordered them from radio shack 4 of them will cost me 15.95 including Shipping and handling...Only thing is they don't carry the exact replacement, and the ones I'm getting are rated for 35 volts instead of the 10 volt ones installed by manufacturer.
They are slightly larger but will do the same job..It seems this problem with faulty capacitors is mostly on TV's purchased from 2005 thru 2007 as a friend told me Samsung has started using capacitors with higher voltage ratings. I don't know if my friend is correct but his info is usually correct. I love the picture Quality of a Samsung but have resevations about buying another Samsung unless the people at Best-Buy don't mind me opening the tv to see the type of capacitors....Yea Right .... I'll have to settle for a Visio or a Sharp sorry Samsung

cliffyd
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:57 pm

My 15 month old Samsung 46 inch 4669 had same problem. Took your advise and checked power board. Found two convex capacitors. Brought board to tecky aquantance. Replaced four caps. with 25v ones. Also resoldered transformers to board. Total cost: $40.00 (including labor!!) I really want to thank you for some valuble advise. You just saved me allot of money/time/aggravation!!!!!! Billne your the man!!!

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Welcome to all the new people.

Did this topic draw you in?

Just wondering because so many new faces in one thread is rare.

Also, speaking of this issue, I found more info here:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1ez ... ln-s4051-d

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.htm ... dID=316414

lardw
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Thank you 'billne' for the tip on how to spot bad caps. My LNT4671F developed this power up problem 1 month after warranty. It was taking longer to power on each time, the last time was over 30 minutes. The culprits on my board were 2 2200uf 10v caps CM852 and CM853. Your tip saved me hundreds at a cost of less than $6.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Welcome to all the new people.

Did this topic draw you in?

Just wondering because so many new faces in one thread is rare.

Also, speaking of this issue, I found more info here:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1ez ... ln-s4051-d

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.htm ... dID=316414

Hehe, TR is the #1 Google result for the topic, which I would assume, considering the number of people who have mentioned it here, it's not a small problem.
X __________________________

pcteckman
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Just thought Id take the time to post on this forum.

Firstly can I say thank you to all participants of this thread who haved saved me a lot of money! I have a Samsung LE40R Flat Screen TV that was having the same problem. Constantant clicking of relay and telly not coming on. Id been quoted £150 by a local tv repair place to fix it. Having read this thread I opened the TV up and looked at the central power control board and in particular the capicitors grouped in the top right hand corner (near the relay).

A couple were indeed slightly bulging and so I went up to my local Maplin electrocnics shop and brought a selection of capacitors for £4.99 . I changed the 1000uF 10V capacitors for 1000uf 25V (the guy in the shop told me as long as voltage is higher than the old one u r ok) - and hey presto - one working TV!!!!!

Guys - Youve saved me ££££ ($$$$$$) and Im really grateful. I hope my post may help someone else avoid being ripped off as well.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 am

Awesome. Glad to be of help (not that I had anything to do with it, but I guess I speak for the community).

Welcome to TR 8)

pcteckman
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:57 am

Hi USA & Thanks for the welcome. I build and repair computers, but TV's are not my thing, so this forum has been a huge help. It would seem to me from googling this particular issue that this is a common fault with many Samsung flat screen TV's and of course, it seems to happen just outside of warranty. I bet some TV repair centres on both sides of the pond are doing very well indeed out of this one! No wonder the company I called were so keen for me to come in and see them.

Anyway, as in said in my first post, I am very grateful for the help and direction I got by visiting your forum and Im delighted to be a new member.

All the very best

Terry

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm

pcteckman wrote:
A couple were indeed slightly bulging and so I went up to my local Maplin electrocnics shop and brought a selection of capacitors for £4.99 . I changed the 1000uF 10V capacitors for 1000uf 25V (the guy in the shop told me as long as voltage is higher than the old one u r ok) - and hey presto - one working TV!!!!!

Guys - Youve saved me ££££ ($$$$$$) and Im really grateful. I hope my post may help someone else avoid being ripped off as well.

I'm glad it worked out, but that may not always be the same. Capacitors are also rated for discharge rates.

pcteckman
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:15 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
pcteckman wrote:

I'm glad it worked out, but that may not always be the same. Capacitors are also rated for discharge rates.

Yes, i wondered if such a large difference in voltage rating would make a difference but it seems ok. TV is happy (like me!) Im not an expert by any means when it comes to individual components - but I know a scam when I see one. It seems to me, from googling this, that this fault is common in Samsung TV's and occurs just outside the warranty period - nice little earner!! The tv repair store told me that it "was a common problem and will be around £150 ($215 ish) to repair. If they knew it was common they must have known what the fault was so, were trying to scam me. Anyway, thats another story, but could it be (and this is where someone who knows more about capacitors than me will know) that 1000uF 10V [what the TV has to start with] is actually to low in volt rating?? and hense blows after around a year?? Is this a design fault or a revenue earner?

Whatever the truth, its good to fix it and I would not have done it, or even known where to look, had it not been for this forum.

andyhock2009
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 am

hi i have a samsung LE40R73BDX(COST £2200 ON CREDIT 2/HALF YEARS AGO) which has the same problem......won't switch on just flashing red led on power button an the usual clicking noise! glad i found this page as i was ready to smash it up......i have opened it up and hey presto found these dodgy parts (all bloated and black substance????) i am a total novice with electronics but want to give this a go maybe save myself hundreds of ££££££ is this a defo fix??????????? any hints and tips would be gratefull.........THANKS

andyhock2009
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 am

I'D ALSO LIKE TO STATE THAT UPON LOOKING INTO THIS IT SEEMS LIKE A COMMON AND WIDESPREAD FAULT ON SAMSUNG LCD'S SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AS THIS IS THERE FAULT!!!!!!!!!! LIKE MICROSOFT WITH THE 360'S RING OF DEATH. SAMSUNG SHOULD ALLOW CUSTOMERS TO RETURN THERE PRODUCT FOR A WORKING 1............THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND SURELY NEEDS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY......................

zazik
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi, huge thanks for the finding, I did it myself, my LN-S4041D is working as good as new.

This is how it looks from the back after cover has been removed (19 screws! :wink: )
Big light PCB is a power supply board, our caps are on its upper right corner.

Here is a close up of those four capacitors, as you can see they are inflated, on top of two middle ones there is a dark spot of burnt electrolyte.

This is an image from the side, all four of them bumped

I unsoldered them, here you can see their marks CM812, CM817, CM811 and CS806.
All four are rated 1000mF 10V, I didn't touch others that look good, they are rated for 25V.

I'm in Canada, we have other store for electronic components: SAYAL, I found there 1000mF 35V for $1.35 CAD each, they are also made by Samsung :lol:
By the way, original capacitors are designed for maximum working temperature of 105C, new ones however for 85C, I hope it won't come to that.

35V capacitors are 25-30% bigger, do not cut the legs right away, first solder then cut, solder above PCB to give a little more freedom. Sorry for the background :P

This is how it looks after rework, as you can see, unlike original ones, they are touching each other.

Here is a view from the angle, a small one on the right CM809 has been pushed by a bigger capacitor a little, so keep in mind to leave some extra length on legs to pull it away from it after soldering.

Good luck and don't be afraid, it just needs a little patience (for better experience) a little fear (for caution) and a strong wish to save money (I hope it’s worth it) :lol: .

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice work. Try digikey if you can't find suitable parts locally.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Wow, those are some nice little bulging caps you got there.

Judging from all the new faces, it seems like this problem is pretty rampant among Samsung TVs of this vintage. I personally find it unacceptable that a 'name brand' like Samsung is using sketchy caps on their expensive TVs. It makes me glad I didn't buy one when I was looking into buying a new TV.
I7 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 970 OC x 2 (SLI) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W PSU

andyhock2009
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 pm

thats brilliant thanks! :D got the soldering iron........just 1 more question????? what type of capacitors are they(looking on the net and im very confused) and do they have to be fitted a certain way round????I.E....like a battery? im actually lookin forward to doing this and hope to god it works lol! defo steering clear of samsung after this!!!!!! :evil:

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:55 pm

andyhock2009 wrote:
thats brilliant thanks! :D got the soldering iron........just 1 more question????? what type of capacitors are they(looking on the net and im very confused) and do they have to be fitted a certain way round????I.E....like a battery? im actually lookin forward to doing this and hope to god it works lol! defo steering clear of samsung after this!!!!!! :evil:

Oh yeah, be very careful with polarity on electrolytic capacitors.

andyhock2009
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:58 pm

like i said my electronic experience is nil so if you guys could explan which way round, would be greatful!

andyhock2009
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

here again.........only 3 seem to have gone on mine! should i just change them all? :-?