Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: NON-FUNCTIONING HDMI PORTS #1,2,3 32LD5400 sAMSUNG LE

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Moved to main Samsung thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

1Curmudgeon
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 am

Just a big thank you to the OP and all who have submitted. Your advice worked perfectly. :D

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:10 am

I'm not 100% sure if the LNS4051 that this thread is about is the same as the LNS4051DX/XAA mentioned here, but it appears that some help is on the way. A class action lawsuit was filed, and Samsung has apparently agreed to a settlement promising "to foot the bill for new repairs, reimburse for previous repairs and hand out up to $300 to customers who no longer possess their broken TVs but can prove they once did."

There are a lot of other Samsung TVs covered under the class action lawsuit, so if you own any Samsung set, you might want to see if your model is effected.

Engadget article
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

5keepers
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV -The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Sam

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD5400 120Hz LED TV). Port #4 is working,(?Separate Circuit?)... I have tried ALL types of plug, unplugged, repositioning, etc.. and nothing works in port#1,2,3. But I can watch TV normally via port #4. What do I need to do, how easy is replacing the #1,2,3 board? etc,etc,... HHeeelllppppp.. Thanks!!!

5keepers
Gerbil In Training

The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD5400

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 am

The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD5400 120Hz LED TV). Port #4 is working fine.. I use HDMI cables.. NOTHING works in ports #1,2,3.

Thanks

Palek
Gerbil

Re: The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD540

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 am

Double-check the model name of your TV. Samsung doesn't make a 32LD5400. Providing a link to the product page might be helpful.

1. Have you tried a couple of different HDMI cables? You may be using sub-par HDMI cables that, when combined with the characteristics of the TV's circuit board, are somehow within tolerance when hooked to your set via port 4 but not the other three. The internal components in your TV degrade over time (so does your HDMI cable if treated harshly), that could be why the ports suddenly stopped working.

2. Although modern TVs have good ESD protection you may have managed to somehow fry ports 1 to 3 on the HDMI switching IC inside the TV.

3. Does the TV settings menu allow you to disable individual input ports? Are the ports actually present in the input menu? (Maybe the room-mate/kids/dog/cat played with your TV...)

4. You could also try hooking up a PC to your TV (use a DVI to HDMI cable/dongle) to see if the ports work.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD540

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:30 am

Merged into main Samsung thread.

Huuhu
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - No Backlight

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 pm

My Samsung 37 inch LCD TV's backlight doesn't work anymore.

The TV turns on fine and the sound works but i get no picture. When i shine a bright light on the screen the picture can be seen.

I have opened up the TV and checked for bad capacitors but they all seems fine, both on the power board and the inverter board. I have also checked the t-con board and nothing seems out of the ordinary, but i only checked it with my eyes.

So if its not bad capacitors what could it be then? Hope i can get some help, thanks.

daniel26
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:51 am

that worked a treat. changing the capastors wasnt that hard , just have a practice on a old radio if your not confidant . saved me a packed thanks

@RNOLD
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD 32" grey picture

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi All,

I need help determining what is causing my Sam-sung LCD TV to have a gray picture on any channel/input. I bought this TV in 2007 new, and just last year it started doing this.

You can see a picture and video of this issue below and also took some pictures of the inside boards.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/ ... G_1023.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/ ... G_1022.mp4

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/ ... G_1020.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/ ... G_1019.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated...

@rnold

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Samsung LCD 32" grey picture

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm

With which interface is the TV hooked up to the input source? Have you checked to make sure the display cable(s) isn't defective by swapping in a known good one?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LCD 32" grey picture

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 am

Icehouse
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LNT4669FX - backlight

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey,

I picked up a 46" Samsung LCD from a friend who had upgraded. Well, it worked great for about 1 month. Then every now and then it would do the "clicking" on power ON. After a few seconds it would turn on. Fine, I can live with that. Then one day it just started clicking and never stopped. So, I did the research and read a majority of the posts here and elsewhere. I took the back off the TV, removed the metal protective cover to reveal the board(s) and VOILA, blown capacitors. Well, no shock really after reading all the issues that Samsung has had with these boards. But, I bought it used and figured that Samsung would laugh at me if I even asked for a replacement.

So, I bought a refurbished BN44-00166C board off the web from a reputable company and had it shipped here. I installed it on 3.29.2012 and turned it on. Perfect. I watched TV for about 6 hours just because I could. :o

Anyway, my roommate left a note on my laptop this morning that around 2am the screen went black, but the sound is still on. It still flips through the channels with AUDIO ONLY, no video, no grey lines, no nothing.

So, I did some more research here today and found the backlight issue. So, I hauled the back off again and all the capacitors look perfect, they should, they were only used for about 9 hours!!!! All wires were in place and nothing out of sorts.

So I turned off the lights and grabbed a flashlight. Well, how about that, I can see the picture VERY dim if I shine the flashlight on the screen.

So, now what? Its not the board, its getting power, it sorta works, what is the solution to the backlight problem?

Thanks everyone.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LNT4669FX - backlight

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Merged into the main Samsung thread.

Sprintb4
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV Model #LN40A630M1FXA

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Each time the tv starts up the whole right side of the screen displays large rectangles which are blurry. After about 2-3 minutes the boxes all go away at once. What is the cause? This 3 year old tv is just out of warranty and I am trying to figure out if it is worth the money to fix. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LCD TV Model #LN40A630M1FXA

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Merged into the main Samsung thread.

Fluffykins
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LE40A557 - Random dropouts

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi all.

Been having some issues for a while with a Samsung LE40A557. (40" LCD)

The picture/sound drops out randomly for a couple of seconds. It may happen once or twice in an evening or it may not happen at all. The set acts like it has just changed station/input; the screen and sound blank then return with the appropriate in-screen icon for whatever input (Top left of the screen - DTV/HDMI, etc., icon) and viewing resumes.

I have a feeling it's PSU related (common to sound and vision and across all input sources) and possibly dodgy capacitors in the PSU, but I have not seen any other mentions of these symptoms anywhere.

I'm lothe to take the back off at the moment, since the set is otherwise working OK. It powers up fine every time (touch wood); picture quality and sound are OK.

Does anyone have any relevant experience or advice?

Thanks

Fluff

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LE40A557 - Random dropouts

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm

MFHSchoonbrood
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:43 am

Hello,

My samsung LE40A656 TV broke as well, it doesn't want to turn on at all anymore.
I opened it up and toke the middle printboard out, here are some pictures:
http://www.gameplayheaven.com/images/repairs/tv-a.jpg
http://www.gameplayheaven.com/images/repairs/tv-b.jpg
http://www.gameplayheaven.com/images/repairs/tv-c.jpg
http://www.gameplayheaven.com/images/repairs/tv-d.jpg
http://www.gameplayheaven.com/images/repairs/tv-e.jpg

Judging from what I read in here and what I see on the board, it looks like the two left most silver/black ones in the bottom row, plus the center silver/black on in the top row are broken.

Can anyone help me with what parts need to be replaced/I should order?

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Michael: Look at the rating on the side label (e.g. 2200 uF) and buy something similar with a somewhat higher voltage rating (e.g. if pulling a 16V part try a 25V part instead). Pay close attention to the polarity (i.e. which side the "minus" stripe is pointing) as you remove each one, and mark it on the surface of the board. Sometimes the board does not have silkscreening, or the silkscreening may contain errors.

Also, I would replace all seven of those capacitors, not just the three or four with visible damage. What is happening is that the heatsink is keeping those units at an elevated operating temperature, which shortens their lifespan.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Also make sure that the replacement caps are temp-rated for 105C or better. IIRC the originals are 90C parts.

gusmin
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi to all.

I have a Samsung 46A656 and i have the common problem of on/off. Having read all the above , i opened it in order to check the capacitors. But i did not find any capacitor oversized or leaking. All the capacitors of the board have a black dot but it not seems to be leaking but more of a pen. Any Ideas please? Because it is not the appropriate time for expenses (Greek Crisis).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57878974@N08/7125520397/

Thank you in advance

mvalent000
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Hello all, Well it looks like I am the exception to this rule on my ln-s4051d doing the on off on off clicking thing. I just picked this tv up as a non working unit. I pulled the back off, 3 bulging caps, replaced with the 1000uf 35v Radio Shack versions.........still clicking on and off. I even replaced the other caps that were not bulging with 35v Radio shackers ( using whatever uf numbers that corresponded with the caps). So all the larger caps in that upper right corner are new.

I checked the voltages in between on/off cycles and found all the voltages to be correct per the printing on the power board. The only ones I don't know what they should read are the on/off's...one on the main plug and one on the smaller plug above it that connect to the AV board.

Any advice would be wonderful!

malucogus76
Gerbil In Training

LNS4051DX/XAA Help please Power on Problem

Mon May 21, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Guys I have The same problem with my tv Samsung LNS4051DX/XAA. I hear click but won't start. I bought and replace the board BN44-00134A but still the problem won't start .Somebody can help me with this problem. What it's the next step to do.?

Thank you for your time.

Gustavo

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: LNS4051DX/XAA Help please Power on Problem

Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 am

alibx11
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 am

Would like thank the op for this thread, I have a Samsung ps50q97 plasma and after my tv going off and making the dreaded clicking noise i found this forum and decided to try the fix listed here, noticed one capacitor had popped, went to maplin, 49p later, new cap soldered and TV working fine again.... many thanks to all who have contributed here.....

to the 5keepers who posted.........
The #1,2,3 HDMI ports have quit working (Samsung 32LD5400 120Hz LED TV). Port #4 is working,(?Separate Circuit?)... I have tried ALL types of plug, unplugged, repositioning, etc.. and nothing works in port#1,2,3. But I can watch TV normally via port #4. What do I need to do, how easy is replacing the #1,2,3 board? etc,etc,... HHeeelllppppp.. Thanks!!!

try resetting the HDMI ports, as after the fix mine didn't work either until it was done........ Power of the TV, unplug from mains, unplug all the HDMI cables, wait a couple of minutes, reconnect the HDMI cables, plug the TV back into the mains, power on and you'll probably find everything is working again...

mvalent000
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Follow up. Like previously stated, I replaced all the caps...every one. I read on another posting site that the EPROM or EEPROM has to be reset by shorting it out or something. If you search for it, you will find the procedure to do it. I guess when the caps go bad it throws some kind of fault that is stored in the EPROM thingy and shorting it or replacing it fixes the problems you have after the caps are replaced....check into it.
There is also a guy on Ebay that sells replacement EPROMS and instructions on how to replace it. The EPROM is located on the AV board.
I bought the replacement...replaced it and the tv is perfect.

pitusina
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Dear all:

I had the same problem as all of you, the TV took forever to turn on until it didn't turn on anymore.

I called SAMSUNG 1-800-SAMSUNG = 1-800-726-7864

They were extremely kind and helpful, they are sending a technician to my house tomorrow for free "to replace the power connectors".

Obviouly they are aware of the problem and instead of a recall, they offer this service to those who take the time to ask for help.

THANK YOU SAMSUNG, very nice of you! (I was ready for a classaction lawsuit....)

skullyman1
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:41 pm

This fix worked for me on my Sammy LN4041d. I did take a few time for it to work though. I replaced the power supply caps first and TV still didn't work. Then I found this posting and it worked great. Thanks for all the help.

Postposted on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Latebuthere wrote:Can anyone upload a pic of the Atmel 24c256 chip? I cannot find it to save my life! Thanx!

Here it is on my LNS4051D, with wires soldered on pins 5 and 6.

In case the photo goes away one day, it is an 8-pin chip labeled IC203, slightly to the left and below the center of the Main board. An arrow (triangle) on the board points to pin #1, which is in the lower right corner of the chip. Pin #5 is in the upper left corner, with #6 right below that. (all of this while looking at the board when installed in the TV in the correct orientation.) Following the advice of another member, and (correctly!) figuring it would not work on the first try and I'd be doing it multiple times, I carefully soldered wires to each of these pins so I could do the shorting more precisely.

I believe this same board (but with different EEPROM parameters) exists on the LNS2651D, LNS2652D, LNS3251D, LNS3252D, LNS4051D, and LNS4052D. I looked at photos, and other than an extra connector for external connection, the Main board on these TVs appears to be the same as for the LNS2641D (and probably others in the ...41D series).

BUT - this did not yet work for me, so it could be wrong. When I plug in the TV with pins 5+6 shorted, it clicks only once and does not cycle. That suggests that I've found the right IC and shorted the right pins.

But pressing the buttons on the remote (Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power) that are supposed to turn it on in Service mode do nothing at all.

If anyone who has done this successfully knows what I might be doing wrong, please let me know. Otherwise I'll be ordering a new Main board soon.

UPDATE - I have the service manual for this exact TV, tried every permutation on remote-button sequence I could think of, etc. and nothing worked. I ended up replacing the main board, which successfully stopped the power cycling, but it just turned the screen white. I then replaced the T-con board as well, which has it all fixed now. I then put the original (bad) main board back in to see if it might work with the good T-con board. It did not - was the same as before. I tried shorting the EEPROM, etc. and it still did not work. From having traced the voltages through the main board, I am convinced that it is just a firmware issue and can probably be reset somehow, but I cannot do it.

Thanks.
Last edited by oldskewel on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

oldskewel

alitchy
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:55 am

Hi All,

I have similar problems: Samsungy 2yr old 32" LCD. No picture for 20mins, sound works fine. Looked at all Capactiors and could not see any bulging or leaks. Any suggestions?

thanks