Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

tulameen
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Just did my September 2007 LNT-4665 took about a hour total.
Thanks to everybody except Samsung!!!

Chuck Dee
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV - LNS4041 power on problem

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:38 pm

All- I replaced the capacitors on my board on my Sammy LNS4041...didnt work....still clicking. I ordered a new board from partstore.com ($169)....doesnt work- still clicking. Any suggestions?

MriVoxel
Gerbil In Training

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 am

Summary: Replaced 3 10v capacitors with 35v 1000mf on my 3+ year old samsung LNT4661fx/xxa that kept restarting with no picture. No change in picture.
parts are from radioshack. I wish i was able to find this forum more easily. It took a while to find it, but its all done now.
I still like samsung products, if this happened to me after a year or two I would be more upset. Im sorry for everyone who hasnt had success, its a matter of luck too and a little skills with the soldering. Thanks for all the tips everyone and especailly OP. open a donation box so we can compansate you time and effort.

Mrivoxel

larryfetter
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm

My Samsung HDLCDTV mod #LN T4665F was having the same powering up problems as discussed in this forum. Even though the models were different I figured I had nothing to lose and bought 4 of the suggested capacitors. When we pulled the back off we found the newer models only have 3 of the 10v capacitors and all 3 were bad. A few minutes of soldering and the tv is as good as new. THANK YOU very much for bringing this problem to light and offering such an inexpensive and easy solution.
Larry

cableguy
Gerbil In Training

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Found this post... followed instructions... replaced with 25V capacitors.. and voila! Girlfriend is happy again. Haha.
Thanks for all the helpful information here!

SamsucksLCD
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:03 am

ok folks. it happened to me.

HELP!

I have the same problem as noted: clicking, clicking, clicking...white light blinking...but the TV will NOT turn on.

so, i removed the back of the TV.

I'm looking at it now. I am not privy to electrical stuff so I am at a loss.

How do remove the bulging capacitors? I have i.d'd the two that are not working.

BUt how do you SAFELY remove these? I have seen pics of the bulging capacitors but no pics or vids on
the actual replacement, (removal too), the sottering or the eventual replacement.
anyone with any tips, pics or vids?

cheers folks. this sucks! i have 2 lil girls (3 and 5) and they are all ready going bonkers without their DVD's.

help!

SamsucksLCD
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 am

it's done.

i did it.

called Samsucks and after deliberating, they agreed to send in a delivery guy.

now, i have 2 lil girls and Christmas is upon us (hello Mcfly! Santa's DVD's----aggghhh!)

so, instead of waiting more than a week for a TV repair guy (commissioned to drive 2 hours south to me for a $3 job...from Syracuse, NY to Elmira, NY) unbelievable!

i did it myself. bought a sottering iron, sottering silver and 2 of the Capacitors.

kinda pain in the ass takin off all the screws, but overall, well worth it.

done people. and I'm not a electro-guru.

howevah! when i was done Fixing the TV on my own, my wife was callin me guru...or shall I say Yellin' "You are a guru!"

"You fixed my frequency..." booo! you get the point.

cheers board.

do it on your own. (that's what your wife will be telling you when/if you DON't fix it on your own ;) )

mikennedy2282
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 am

Spent 6 hours reading all 727 entries on 25 pages. Took notes. 3 hours in, found someone on page 13 who had the same set as mine, LN-T4669F. Clicked on the link to digikey and bought the two capcitors ($2.02 + shipping) he said to. By the time I got to the 25th page, I decided to call Samsung and get them to fix it for free. I called 800-726-7864(number was in my notes). They wanted model #, serial # off the back of the TV, did I verify the power supply?, address and 2 phone numbers. They gave me a service number and said Lake Electronics will call in 2 days to schedule an appointment to fix it. It was easy. Thanx to the previous 727 posts. I am walking on your backs. The value of your posts is reflected by my taking 6 hours to read them. Worth every minute.

nobbyxr8
Gerbil In Training

LA46F81BD clicky of death

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:24 am

I too am having this issue with my LA46F81BD has been happening for a 2 weeks now, I currntly work away and am not able to look at my TV to get parts but am wanting to know if anyone here would know what caps this has they may need to be replaced as I have read a few saying they have 4x 1000 others 2200 would be of great help so I can order what I might need to fix it and have it waiting for when I get home

thanks

ncst8fan11
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am

I too had this problem with my LN-T4669F. After reading this thread I called Samsung and was told my TV would be fixed free of charge. I can't thank you all enough for your insight. I was relieved to know I was not alone with problem. I am sorry for the aggravation everyone went through but am grateful for the valuable help. Thanks again.

ranchhand
Gerbil

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 am

I just got done with my 40" Samsung, the usual pixel/clicking problem. 16 screws on the rear and removed the rear cover. Yep, there they were, right in front. 4 bulging capacitors, 10Volt/1000 mf. 4 tiny screws hold in the circuit board, and 6 plugs to pop off. (When re-plugging them back you can't get it wrong, each are a different size & configuration and only 1 will fit in each socket.) Removed the circuit board. Took it down to my workshop in the basement and propped it upright so I could use both hands. I went to Radio Shack and got 4 caps (35Volt/1000 mf) and a coil of copper braid. Only thing to remember is to be extra careful to place the polarity properly when re-soldering in. It's a no-brainer, the negative lead has huge black stripe on the side of the cap, and the circuit board has a black mark silkscreened on the board. Just match them up. Easy. One hour and $8 later I was done, it started up on the first click and we are enjoying our TV again. :D

scott_pelletier
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Samsung LNS3252DX Backlight issue

First off thank you to all the posters about the capacitor issues. It has got me started in the right direction.

So like many I am having a backlight issue with my Samsung LNS3252DX / XAA. LCD. I opened the back to find one capacitor raised just a little. So I ordered a new power board. While waiting for the new board to arrive I purchased the same capacitor and replaced it. Did not work it just the same flash on the screen when it started up. New board arrived and low and behold two capacitors slightly raised on that board so I shipped it back. I received the new one today and I was guaranteed it would be tested. Two very slightly raised capacitors again. I plugged it in and the same old flash. LCD panel works fine according to the flash light test. So now I am stuck with a pissed off wife and maybe two bad or good power boards. I just pulled the main unit board out to inspect it and it looks kind of fishy. I am a armature to this and could use a expert eye. I pointed out some spots that just do not look right. Picture below.

I do not know if this was the best thing to do however while I had it opened up I pulled the ribbon for the back light from power board when I plugged it back in I got a bigger flash out of the lights instead of just a soft flash during power up. The flash was long enough to get a full blue screen for a couple of seconds. I can get around with a soldering iron but when it comes to testing for shorts I am lost.

Added 01/04/11What I do not understand is if the main board is shot why can I get everything to work but the back light? The sound and panel work fine. I would think if the "main or mother board" was shot nothing would work?

Thank you,
- Scott
Larger Image:http://scottpelletier.com/DSC05023_1.jpg
Last edited by scott_pelletier on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranchhand
Gerbil

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am

So I ordered a new power board
Where are you ordering your power boards from? Did the newest board arrive looking like this, or is this one that you tried to repair yourself? The board in the picture you posted is damaged; this is either a reject from the factory or a previously used board that someone sent you. In fact, it looks like it has burned/damaged areas where your arrows are pointing. In addition, I don't see any capacitors in the picture at all, so I am not sure what you mean when you say that you noticed bulging capacitors. Here is a picture of capacitors with bulging tops, see the red square in the picture.
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62360&start=630

scott_pelletier
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am

ranchhand -
This is the Main Unit Board not my power board. I am assuming that my power boards are ok even thought the used one I received had a slight bulge in one capacitor and I fixed the other board. When I pulled my powerboard from the tv I did a quick visual inspection of the top of "Main Board" it looked ok. I pulled it out last night and noticed the back of the board was not right. So I guess I now need to replace the Main Board and now own a back up power board. If any other LNS3252DX owners have a Backlight issue and your capacitors look ok pull the main board. (the one to the right of the power board) I will keep you posted on my success or failures.
Thank You

Added 01/04/11
What I do not understand is if the main board is shot why can I get everything to work but the back light? The sound and panel work fine. I would think if the "main or mother board" was shot nothing would work?

Board received

Fixed board (same raiting capacitor just a little taller)
Last edited by scott_pelletier on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akakak4747
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Help! I have a LNT 4665F. Anyways. So the tv was working fine except for it not turning on really quickly. I read about the capacitor problem so I put the lcd facing down on the bed for a week before the tech came to replace the board. When I turn it on. The backlight goes on very weakly. There is a buzzing noise for a second and the backlight goes off. The tv is still on. The noise is coming from the front left side inverter.

Also I can shine a flashlight through the tv and see the menu and source menu screen....When I hook something through hdmi, vga, or composite....says a message like not supported mode....Now this is with the flashlight shining through.

Does this mean I need a new t-con board and a inverter...or just 1 of the things.

btruong968
Gerbil In Training

Samsung 52" LCD vertical lines/bar

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm

hey everyone,
i recently received a used samsung ln52a550 from a friend of mine. he gave it away because right in the middle of the screen, running vertically, there is a "bar" about 7" wide. it changes from colorful, thin stripes to a solid black bar randomly. the tv is a 52" LCD. does anyone know the best possible way to fix this, whether it be buy a new board, call a technician, or replace the TV?
thanks,
much appreciated,
brian

kkb
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Our 3yo tv was dying~~I went on line and found you cowboys fixin' your own tvs. Told my hubby who loves tv that he could do it, he needs to get new capacitors. The instructions by renh were completely accurate. We had to go online to order capacitors that were small enuf to fit on the board- 2200, 16v and it took 3 days to get them. Borrowed a soldering gun, voila! The tv turned on immediately!!! We spent $15 at most.

I would just caution people on a couple of things. After you get the back of the tv off and see the bloated capacitors, take the board out. We pulled the capacitors off from the front (duh!) which cracked the board. Take the board off and unsolder them from behind w/ that copper stuff , don't use needle nose plyers and yank them out like we did. However, our fix still worked like a charm...
Thx so much for the info.
kkb

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Samsung 52" LCD vertical lines/bar

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 pm

It probably needs capacitors replaced on the power supply board. Scroll through the Samsung sticky thread at the top of this forum for guidance.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

7Jackman
Gerbil In Training

Re: Monitor: LCD questions

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:29 pm

I have a Samsung HL-55679-W A little over two years old. Suddenly I am having a problem with Red outlines and shadows throughout the screen. This model is an DLP LED. I checked all connections and color adjustments and nothing helped. Any solutions out there. TV is out of warranty. The problem exits with DVD's, Games or Sat. TV.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged into main Samsung TV thread

mike5065
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

My >3yr old LNT4669 started taking longer and longer to come up. The clicking went from 1 to 4 to 10 to (I lost count). Over a 4 week period, the TV was about ready to fail. I called Samsung Canada and they took care of me. The tech came to my place today, and changed 2 failed capacitors. No cost to me, even being out of warranty well over 2 years.

Hats off to Samsung for fixing this. I could have done it, and would have if they didn't, thanks to this thread. But the tech was well qualified, and he took a total of 40 minutes. It's unfortunate that they chose these parts, but they stood up and took responsibility. This is my third Samsung, and I will continue to buy and recommend their products.

ranchhand
Gerbil

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Mike, I am glad you got your TV fixed. In order to be objective about Samsung's policy, however, you might want to read what owners have gone through starting with the first posting in this forum. Plus there are several other forums on other websites with threads devoted to this problem. In the beginning Samsung denied claims, then tried a "you pay if it is not the capacitors" policy, and blew off the complaints. Then there was a tidal wave of complaints from all over the world, and two large law firms (in the USA) began sniffing around for a class action lawsuit, and Sammy got nervous. They are now trying to head-off a classaction. That is the reason you had no flack from Samsung, not necessarily because they are a conscientious firm. Again, nothing personal, and I am glad you got your expensive TV fixed!

PhotoMan88
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm

A friend mentioned this thread to me, and when my three year old TV (LNT4665F) started failing, I contacted SAMSUNG. They wouldn't help, so my friend helped install the capacitors that I purchased. The TV set works fine now. Makes you wonder if Samsung has a Quality Control process especially since they knew the problem existed.

mike5065
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:34 am

ranchhand wrote:
Hi Mike, I am glad you got your TV fixed. In order to be objective about Samsung's policy, however, you might want to read what owners have gone through starting with the first posting in this forum. Plus there are several other forums on other websites with threads devoted to this problem. In the beginning Samsung denied claims, then tried a "you pay if it is not the capacitors" policy, and blew off the complaints. Then there was a tidal wave of complaints from all over the world, and two large law firms (in the USA) began sniffing around for a class action lawsuit, and Sammy got nervous. They are now trying to head-off a classaction. That is the reason you had no flack from Samsung, not necessarily because they are a conscientious firm. Again, nothing personal, and I am glad you got your expensive TV fixed!

A few clarifications:

I did read this entire thread. I was amazed at both the extent of the problem, and the success rate of the fixes. I was gonna fix it myself. I shuddered at the thought of fixing the ones friends bought on my recommendation.

Most owners suggested being calm and reasonable with Samsung, so I did, and it was a pleasant experience. Like I said above, I think Samsung made a poor choice on the caps. I asked the tech who came to my place how many he had personally changed, and the answer was over a hundred.

My old HLN5065 DLP had light engine problems, so I complained to Samsung Canada, and they apologized and sent me a new one. That's a $4000 dollar TV that arrived, free of charge, at my door. They didn't even forewarn me. 3 years later, the light engine color wheel bearing failed, and was covered by extended warranty. I am an early adopter and accept risks, and insure (warranty) when the risk is high (it was).

Every single Logitech mouse, keyboard and Harmony remote I have purchased required RMA (except one, my latest Harmony One). Logitech sent me new ones, few questions asked. I will continue to buy Logitech because, for me, they stood behind the product.

My comments apply to my dealings with Samsung Canada, who are the reason I continue to choose/recommend Samsung products to Canadians, and they have excellent products. For me, they stood behind the product. Other companies that have done similar, for me, include ASUS, Dell, Logitech, Marantz and Honda. I don't think any of these companies made a profit from my purchases (except Honda, 10 years in and only a battery). I hope they do in the future as I want to continue to buy their products.

441fnd
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Another first-poster with the same problem, but with a different question.
I have a Samsung LA46F81BDX, that is (just) out of warranty. TV has been doing the 'slow turn on, clicking sound' exhibited by others, but after 3 minutes would come on and work perfectly. I read about the 'fix' and replaced two of the capacitors with 2200 uf 16v.
When powered up the TV now turns on like new, but I get sound and no picture at all. I have gone back in and checked/resoldered the 2 capacitors, but no picture still.
Can anyone advise me how to check (test) whether the solder job is correct, and if it is possible to check whether i have damaged the tracks on the board?
Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

mixerdave
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:37 am

My 52" Samsung had recently started taking longer to fire up. Thanks to the information on this forum I took the work on myself, it wasnt actually that hard and after reading all the posts I was confident enough to do it. Total Cost - £3!!

I'd like to thank everyone who has contibuted to this thread on saving me alot of money.

OSUBeavert
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LNT4661f Mainboard LCD TV dim picture sometimes

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:57 pm

I have samsung 46" with recently replaced capacitors on the powersupply. The startup problem is taken care of. However, when the caps were replaced, the technician did a diagnosis on the tv to find what the cause of the dim and dark picture (which I suspected might be unrelated to the capacitors on the power supply. I don't know exactly when the dimming began, but it was before the capacitors were replaced). I showed him input from HDMI (Blue Ray Player) and Component video (Wii). Both inputs had a very dark picture.
The technician entered the service menu and checked the settings. The settings were fine. I cannot recall but I believe the backlight was set to 128 which is the standard from the factory. He did a color test and all the colors were very bright and vibrant. The picture is very bright when the input is not active and a bluescreen is displayed. The technician determined that the tv needed a new mainboard.
What i need to know is this: Am I able to replace the mainboard? I found the part online for $115. But is this part plug and play? The technician wants $400 to replace a $115 part. I already gave them $100 for the diagnosis. I just don't have the money to do this. I would also be more apt to do this if I felt right about the repair company. They just gave me a funny feeling.
If the mainboard needs to be calibrated, do I need special tools, or do I go in through the service menu? Please help :) I don't mind paying technicians, but I just feel it is a little more than I can afford right now, and it is a stretch just to get the $115.

Blerbs
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm

I replaced the capacitors in my Samsung LNS4051 about 4 or 5 months ago with new ones purchased from Radio Shack as described in an earlier post. It worked flawlessly until a few nights ago. Guess what? Back to the same problem. Clicking. Won't come on...click click click click
Contacted Samsung and they claim this particular model is not on their list for a free replacement. I haven't taken the back off yet to look at the board but it's doing the same thing it did previously so I'm assuming it is the same issue. Anyone have a suggestion where I might procure more reliable capacitors? Should I invest in a replacement board?
I might add that the people at Samsung were rude. They did however offer me an address where I can file a more "formal" complaint. How nice of them!
Thanks for your help folks.

ranchhand
Gerbil

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I got a sneaking suspicion that one or more of your caps that you got from Radio Shack may have gone bad, or one that you did not replace originally may have gone bad. Pull the back off again and recheck. If you fixed it once by replacing the caps, you did the correct thing initially.

The-Kevster
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

I have a LE40A656A that has recently started having trouble on starting.

When switching on cold the on and off music will play 3-5 times before getting a picture. Is this the same issue with the capicators? Its just over two years old so is out of warranty with Samsung :(

Thanks,
Kev

samlauncher
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 am

Appreciated info, its good to know..