Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

dh0lms
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:53 am

Someone please help! :(

So it turns out that two of the four capacitors were black and bulging.

So off I went to Jaycar to get two new ones and a soldering gun... 45 mins later tv has new capacitors and the issue still occurs!

What are the chances that two are blown and the issue wasn't resolved?!

After watching a bunch of videos of people fixing it I did notice that they were using the 25W capacitors not the 10w's that were in the machine to start with. Jaycar had 10w so I just used those. Do you think it is worth it to go buy 25w and give those a try?

Or is there anything I left out? Do I have to do that EEprom reset?

My model number is LA40R8BDX/XSA

Thanks!

dh0lms
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 am

Anybody? :(

dh0lms wrote:
Someone please help! :(

So it turns out that two of the four capacitors were black and bulging.

So off I went to Jaycar to get two new ones and a soldering gun... 45 mins later tv has new capacitors and the issue still occurs!

What are the chances that two are blown and the issue wasn't resolved?!

After watching a bunch of videos of people fixing it I did notice that they were using the 25W capacitors not the 10w's that were in the machine to start with. Jaycar had 10w so I just used those. Do you think it is worth it to go buy 25w and give those a try?

Or is there anything I left out? Do I have to do that EEprom reset?

My model number is LA40R8BDX/XSA

Thanks!

janelee
Gerbil In Training

samsung LCD LN40A450C

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 pm

I bought this TV May 2008. All of a sudden, tv is not turning on with remote and only power indicating red light keeps blinking. I tried manual power button which is on the side of tv, but still doesn't work. My tv is not connected to computer system, so the tv manual says in troubles shooting that an internal component has failed. Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: samsung LCD LN40A450C

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Merged into main Samsung thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

janelee
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Thank you for the reply but I don't know what I can do with it. Is there a way I can fix it myself or do I have to call the service? If I call the service, do you know how much it will cost? If it is too expensive, I might consider buying new one. I really need an advice. Thank you again.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 pm

janelee wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Thank you for the reply but I don't know what I can do with it. Is there a way I can fix it myself or do I have to call the service? If I call the service, do you know how much it will cost? If it is too expensive, I might consider buying new one. I really need an advice. Thank you again.

This thread is full of pictures, instructions, and successful home repairs of the problem. It involves learning how to solder and replacing several capacitors on the TV's power supply board. Take the time to scroll through this entire thread and gain from the collective wisdom of the hundreds who have contributed to it.

dcsc6259
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:52 am

Hi I'm new to site, first post. I have a 40in Samsung that was purchased in 2008 for the last month or so the Tv is taking longer and longer to turn on, I get the sound andthe red light blinks but this cycles for a long time before turning on. I searched this site and was ready to attempt the fix when I came across post that mentioned class action law suit against Samgsung for power issues with Tv. I googled it and it came up. Samsung WILL REPAIR TV OR REIMBURSE FOR PRIOR REPAIR $300. So I called Samsung and they collected pedigree information made a service ticket and 10 minutes later I had the local Samsung repair store make an appointment for an IN HOME REPAIR. Everything is done and working beautifully. The most important thing is NO cost to me!!!!! My Tv is 4 years old and there was no questions asked other than describing problem. So I would say call first and have Samsung repair Tv. Hope this helps everyone.

janelee
Gerbil In Training

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 pm

dcsc6259 wrote:
Hi I'm new to site, first post. I have a 40in Samsung that was purchased in 2008 for the last month or so the Tv is taking longer and longer to turn on, I get the sound andthe red light blinks but this cycles for a long time before turning on. I searched this site and was ready to attempt the fix when I came across post that mentioned class action law suit against Samgsung for power issues with Tv. I googled it and it came up. Samsung WILL REPAIR TV OR REIMBURSE FOR PRIOR REPAIR $300. So I called Samsung and they collected pedigree information made a service ticket and 10 minutes later I had the local Samsung repair store make an appointment for an IN HOME REPAIR. Everything is done and working beautifully. The most important thing is NO cost to me!!!!! My Tv is 4 years old and there was no questions asked other than describing problem. So I would say call first and have Samsung repair Tv. Hope this helps everyone.

I think you are right. I called samsung and I received service ticket number for in-home repair. When they said it was free of charge I could not believe it entirely, I thought maybe there could be other hidden charges something like that. But you wrote you already had an experience, and I am so happy to read your post. So far I haven't been contacted from the technician yet since I called on Friday, but I think it is because of weekend now. So I am still waiting. Thank you very much for your sharing.

marks090
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LNT4665fx/xaa

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:49 pm

The power supply caps were change,power relay clicks, startup music, blacklights come on for a second, then off. One time picture came on,mostly power relay clicks, startup music, blacklights come on for a second. This is a friend. He had a tech come out and changed the caps on the power supply and I can see he changed out the 2200uf caps. on the power supply Worked for 45 minutes. Nothing looks obviously bad. From your experience would main board cause this issue or what else could I try. thanks mark

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LNT4665fx/xaa

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:30 am

mark090
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNT4665fx/xaa

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I been all over the forum and after replacing the defective caps the next thing to do is try shorting pins 5 and 6. Never got the "by now the TV is already in normal standby operation, but EEPROM values are still bugged". I used a small flat head shorting 5 and 6. The triangle and small notch told me where pin1 was. If I unsolder the chip, what do you think would happen. One thread he had to replace the main broad,then replaced the T-con board to get the TV to work. I could replaced the EEPROM but I don't like replacing parts that are not bad. Any thoughts out there.

My main broad number is bn9701835p
power supply bn4400166b this unit 3 1000uf bad and 2 2200uf bad

Previous thread
1. Short out the eeprom pins 5 & 6 .The easiest way is to carefully solder a thin wire (about 6" length) to each of the 2
little round pre-soldered pads that lie in front of pins 5 and 6 and use the wires
as a contact breaker to easily shorten the pins.
2. Turn on the power - Instead of the usual noticeable relay click, you get a faint click,
the backlight stays off, nothing else happens.
3. Wait around 1-2 secs ( anything longer than this NEVER seemed to work ).
4. Remove the short.
Note: by now the TV is already in normal standby operation, but EEPROM values are still bugged.
5. Press the service mode key combination on the remote control.
Note: check service manual for the correct combination or try the following:
* info, menu, mute, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
* mute, 1, 8, 2, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
6. TV should come on with noise picture and then the service menu (press Source if it is difficult to read)
7. Immediately go to option Adjust and turn OFF the watchdogs
(especially in case your TV keeps turning off by itself at this point)
8. Now, for EVERY OPTION in ALL THE SUBMENUS, change EVERY VALUE and then change it back (toggle right-left)
to assure the EEPROM data is re-written correctly

magic
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:24 pm

hi all, my tv is LN40A630M1FXZA , i was waching tv, and a storm hit our city, power off, in the morning tv does not work, red light flashes continuously . i changed the capacitors but did not do any good, now i am trying to short the ATMEL 24C256 but no luck according to all the posts i read it is ic203 but on my board it is ic204, i just want to make sure i am in the right place, can someone look at the attached pictures and let me know. thank you.
i cant upload pics. :cry:

magic
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 pm

magic wrote:
hi all, my tv is LN40A630M1FXZA , i was waching tv, and a storm hit our city, power off, in the morning tv does not work, red light flashes continuously . i changed the capacitors but did not do any good, now i am trying to short the ATMEL 24C256 but no luck according to all the posts i read it is ic203 but on my board it is ic204, i just want to make sure i am in the right place, can someone look at the attached pictures and let me know. thank you.
i cant upload pics. :cry:

i found a used video board, for $ 25.00, it worked like a charm. thank you guies for the wonderful thread. :D

PlanetSurfer67
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi All,

I have another Samsung sad story, my LA40N81BDX started getting some breakthrough on audio during power up, then picture ceased being displayed and instead I have base colours cycling thru green, blue red and then horizontal bards of blue green red and white and then this repeated for a while until the TV shut itself down.

Afte reading these threads i inspected the power supply and found x2 2200uf 10v caps had popped but the other 1000uf look ok, so i replaced the bad looking ones and then powerd up TV but there was no change in the sypmtoms aprt from no more audio breakthrough on power up.

I tried shorting pins 5&6 of IC306 but to no joy as I am not sure i follow the sequence correctly posted by Turboroe.

Does anyone have the sevice manual for a LA40N81BD(X) and who can send me a copy or a link to it, as some checks around the power supply rails indicated the 12v rail was at 20vdc so maybe the regulator has shat itself.
I am going to replace the 1000uf caps in the meantime b ut want to be able to check the power supply before replacing it.

cheers and best regards

PlanetSurfer67
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 am

Update:
checking around the 12v regulator pin 2 (Vo) is @ 20vdc so corespondingly the 5.4v,5.2v rails are all almost double what the should be and the 13v rail is @ 23vdc ( the regulator input voltage). Hopefully this hasnt fried the main board and since there are no other brown outs (apart from the x2 2200uf caps) or blown fuses I maybe able to get away with just replacing the KIA278R12PI (12vreg).

Does anyone have the schematic for the IP-40STD power supply in the LA40N81BD ?

Please reply,

cheers.

ricomann
Gerbil In Training

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:10 am

I got a ln-s4051d and get the dreaded sound without screen. the backlight works just fine, when it decides to turn on. the damn thing worked fine the other day for 3 minutes then the screen went black though you could still see the lcd actively with a flashlight or the right angle of sunlight and the sound was A OK too.

I unplugged it, removed the back, looked for popped capacitors but they are all a-ok. Since then I reconnected things and it worked for 5-6 hours straight today, no trouble. then I turned it off when my wife came home (it's in the garage on a card table). When I went back out to try it again I got the sound with a black screen, just as before.

HELP! this forum has primarily spoken about the capacitor issue where it clicks on an off perpetually or takes long to go on. I've read 4.7billion individual posts and my eyes are about to fall out, but none that I saw have addressed the specific issue of sound without screen.

Help! Please! Somebody get me a doctor!

JBlitzen
Gerbil In Training

Samsung LCD TV power cycling even with replacement PS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 pm

It's an LN46A550, and the problem started the same day the cable box attached to it died. Maybe lightning or a power blip?

When the set is plugged in, after a moment or two it clicked on like it normally did. After another seconds, it clicked off. Then it enters an endless cycle of on/off. The backlight never comes on.

The original capacitors appeared healthy, so Samsung replaced the power supply once under their extended warranty thing. The problem remained, so they put the original PS back in.

I then replaced the main board with one ordered online, from TriStateModule. The problem remained, although it then took five seconds or so for the cycling to begin, rather than just one.

I then asked Samsung to try a new replacement power supply board under the same warranty thing, in case the main board was fritzed and overrode the first try. They obliged me, but that try didn't work either.

My thought now is to exchange the replacement mainboard through TSM in the hopes that maybe it was a faulty replacement board.

But I'm close to giving up. The last repair guy who came out suggested maybe the bulbs were shot.

Any ideas? Or should I call it quits?

Thanks!

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Samsung LCD TV power cycling even with replacement PS

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Hello I did have a Samsung LN46A650A1F Lcd Tv there is recalled/ Tv capacitor settlement on certain models. Check here http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Samsung LCD TV power cycling even with replacement PS

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 am

Smoke Dogg
Gerbil In Training

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:26 pm

I have two 25v-1000uf capacitors that need to be replaced. What type of capacitor should I replace it with? The same or something higher in voltage and the same uf?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Smoke Dogg wrote:
I have two 25v-1000uf capacitors that need to be replaced. What type of capacitor should I replace it with? The same or something higher in voltage and the same uf?

Same or slightly higher is usually okay for both the energy (uF) and voltage (V) ratings. For this application, try to find units with a temperature rating of 105C. Regular 85C (less commonly, 95C) units will function the same but have a shorter life in this application since the electronics inside a TV run fairly warm.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Neetsey
Gerbil In Training

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:21 pm

billne wrote:
Faulty parts on PS board , bad press for Samsung

Because the Samsung LNS4051D would not turn on and the power LED would blink 4 times and the relay would click and this would repeat again and again. I replaced power supply board parts CM806, 811, 812 & 817, all 1000 uf 10v capacitors, three had their tops bulged up slightly that I missed on initial visual inspection. After seeing the reports of problems with these caps on http://www.fixya.com/support/t1336881-w ... urn_or_off , I replaced them with Radio Shack part 272-1032, 1000 uf, 35v. They are slightly bigger, but fit OK. TV is working fine now. Cost was 4 x $1.59 = $6.36 plus the time. I saved between $100 to 500 in the process of either replacing the board or getting the unit serviced. If you are not comfortable replacing components which means using a soldering iron, you can replace the power circuit board, available from http://www.discount-merchant.com/Produc ... &&Click=46.

Thank you so much for your post ! I have had my tv since September after Hurricane Katrina. Although I have had clicking problems with a delay start for a while I really never thought much of it. This morning my daughter was watching tv and it went out. Whenever I tried to turn it on it just made the clicking noise. I googled the problem and came right to this forum. Although I never used a solder before, your instructions looked pretty easy to follow so I decided to give it a shot. Once we took the back off the tv we found 2 capacitors were bulging (no black liquid). Ran to Radio Shack with your part numbers and picked them up - less than $6 total spend with the solder removal tool. Soldered them in, plugged the tv back in and it was working! You saved me a ton of money and a huge headache. Money is really tight right now and I certainly didn't have the money to pay a repair man or buy a new tv. Thanks again! It took us about 3 hours total to complete the job. Most of that was trying to get the solder iron working.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Glad to hear things worked out. Stick around, as we're full of helpful information 'round here.

vizouk
Gerbil In Training

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 am

I have a problem with this LCD model, the capacitors look ok.

The board is probably this model, should have bought this but i let it pass:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281000038670
--------------------

http://imgur.com/a/WkOUh
Full Resolution: http://i.imgur.com/fnsXV.jpg

Is this a board problem if it only blinks the led and doesn't turn on ?

The tv is from 2006 , model : LE32S71BX

Is there any procedures i could do at home to try to find the component that is broken with the help of a multimeter for e.g.

Thanks in advance for any help.

teach494
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 pm

I have a 46 inch samsung. I called and got the capacitor and power supply covered for replacement but the motherboard is shot. Has anyone gotten samsung to replace the motherboard????? Is this a very common problem with these TVs?????

brett_18
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Ok so I inherited an LNS4051 from my aunt a few years ago. She purchased the TV in Dec. of 2006. So earlier this year I started having problems with the TV not turning on, but I would still have sound. It kind of stabilized and would turn on with no problem. More recently, I would turn my TV on and would have picture for about 5 minutes and then the screen would go black. I found this forum by accident and read through all of the great info, thank you for all who posted. I finally had some time the other day to crack my TV open and have a peek inside. What I was hoping would be an easy fix, turned out to not be so. All the capacitors look fine. There are no loose connectors. No burn marks on the power supply board. The internals had a slight accumulation of dust, which I took care of with a can of air. However, I am no further along at solving this mystery. Since I know the sound board is good, I was thinking of just purchasing a power supply board and replacing the whole board, but those boards aren't cheap and my only concern is if I replace the board and I still don't have a picture I am out $100. Do any of you have any ideas of how to narrow down the problem? Or at this point, is replacing the power board a safe bet to resolve my problem? Thanks in advance.

samsungfixedit
Gerbil In Training

samsung capacitor settlement

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm

just contacted samsung at 1-888-899-7602 they are going to pay for the repair and fix the problem.

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

jasonsbeer
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 am

HI all-

Wow - huge thread.

I have a TV that Samsung repaired under the "faulty capacitor agreement" - model LN-T4665F. Technician was here ~2 weeks ago. He replaced the caps (which he said were fine) and I continue to have the pink dots on my screen. The tech said there was nothing that could be done about it and that "flat panels go out every few years, not like old TVs" and that I "should just plan to replace a flat panel TV every 4-5 years". WHAT? Not the answer I was looking for.

Since the caps have been replaced, any thoughts on what might be my next step to address the pink dot issue?

Thanks

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 pm

jasonsbeer wrote:
HI all-

Wow - huge thread.

I have a TV that Samsung repaired under the "faulty capacitor agreement" - model LN-T4665F. Technician was here ~2 weeks ago. He replaced the caps (which he said were fine) and I continue to have the pink dots on my screen. The tech said there was nothing that could be done about it and that "flat panels go out every few years, not like old TVs" and that I "should just plan to replace a flat panel TV every 4-5 years". WHAT? Not the answer I was looking for.

Since the caps have been replaced, any thoughts on what might be my next step to address the pink dot issue?

Thanks

Could be the panel itself going bad, or the inverter, backlight, etc...
Can you post a pic?

jasonsbeer
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Went to take a pic tonight and got this carzy psychedelic rainbow. It's done this a couple of times, just happened to happen tonight. It had the pink dots for a few seconds, then went to this. I'll try to get a pink dot photo again in the morning.