Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

SamD
Gerbil In Training

Re: Samsung LCD TV - LNS4051 power on problem

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

I have a Samsung Model LN40C530F1F that will not power up. The relay does not click. The red LED light just blinks when I attempt to turn it on with the remote. I pulled the cover and inspected the power board. None of the capacitors are bulging or leaking. I replaced the two 1000uf capacitors anyway but no power. Is anyone familiar with other components that can cause this issue?

Shoutered
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 am

I have a different model but also a Samsung who has similar issues.

Unfortunately, mine is a bit older, and Samsung told me they couldn't help me because the warranty has been expired.

Have you found a solution for your problem because I would love to know what it is?

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:58 am

Not sure if I responded on this thread as it is an old thread that won't die.

I also have a Samsung 50" that was given to me years ago (CFL backlight) due to this same issue.

I was able to crack it open and replace 4-5 capacitors that were visibly bulged. The unit turned one 100% normal and worked great for about 3 years until now. It started doing the same thing over the past 4-5 months, slowly getting worse. Sometimes it would only take it 2 minutes to come on, now it takes it about 10. Once "warmed up" it can come in fine if turned off and back on.

It seems like a bad circuit design that allows for the capacitors and possibly other components to become damaged over time. But in my experience they can be replaced with a soldering iron, caps and a little know how. 30-40 minutes of your time and 5 bucks worth of caps.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

i5-2500K|Asus P67 Sabertooth|16GB Corsair 1600|MSI 7850 2GB|500gb 840 EVO|Corsair 400R|ET750w PSU|Corsair M95 / K90 / Vengeance 1300

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:58 am

It's threads like these, which has become a Net-wide resource to fix common problems, that proves the utility of the forum concept.

That said, back when this was a hot issue, I merged a whole lot of baby threads into this one.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Dgassee
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 am

For all those of you that don't have bad caps. I recently repaired an LNS4051DX that someone had discarded. The unit would turn on but no image.

The caps looked like they had recently been replaced by higher-quality equivalents but still no image. I read a similar comment about the little black box on the bottom left that sends the high-voltage lines to the back light. Someone mentioned when they pressed down on it ( personally I wouldn't touch that thing with my finger) they heard a buzzing sound. After inspecting the underside of the board closely. I noticed that one of the two leads to this module was cold soldered ( it looks like there are serious cracks in the solder, enough that it would probably move if the board was slightly flexed). I resoldered the lead and plugged everything back in. The TV immediately started to work again.

Even though this thread is very old, it did help me in locating and fixing this particular problem so, I thought I would spread the knowledge.

Thank you to all that have posted their stories.