Samsung LCD TV Clicking or Not turning on walkthrough:
Main Problem: Popped low quality power board capacitors
Solder in new capacitors (the medium 1000uF next to the power board<->main board connectors. preferably 35V).
I strongly recommend swapping ALL the 1000uF ones for new - better quality - ones.
If TV still doesn´t turn on: EEPROM memory values are bugged.
Q. Why does this happen?
A. When Tv is plugged in it attempts to read EEPROM and reads some bad data, then resets (probably due to the Watchdog).
Note: Data gets corrupted because of the power board capacitors problem.
- disable EEPROM chip to prevent TV from resetting (following steps 1, 2 and 3)
- manually set correct values to the EEPROM (following steps 4 to 10)
The EEPROM chip:
type: ATMEL 24C256 - small 8 pin IC surface mount (must be 5mm x 3mm)
location: on the bottom side of the main board
search google for: atmel 24c256 datasheet
download the datasheet and check the pin numbers
1. Short out the eeprom pins 5 & 6 ( the two pins that connect to resistors ).
The easiest way is to carefully solder a thin wire (about 6" length) to each of the 2
little round pre-soldered pads that lie in front of pins 5 and 6 and use the wires
as a contact breaker to easily shorten the pins.
2. Turn on the power - Instead of the usual noticeable relay click, you get a faint click,
the backlight stays off, nothing else happens.
3. Wait around 1-2 secs ( anything longer than this NEVER seemed to work ).
4. Remove the short.
Note: by now the TV is already in normal standby operation, but EEPROM values are still bugged.
5. Press the service mode key combination on the remote control.
Note: check service manual for the correct combination or try the following:
* info, menu, mute, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
* mute, 1, 8, 2, power on) - In that order individually, one at a time.
6. TV should come on with noise picture and then the service menu (press Source if it is difficult to read)
7. Immediately go to option Adjust and turn OFF the watchdogs
(especially in case your TV keeps turning off by itself at this point)
8. Now, for EVERY OPTION in ALL THE SUBMENUS, change EVERY VALUE and then change it back (toggle right-left)
to assure the EEPROM data is re-written correctly.
Note: To enter some submenus you have to press the right arrow instead of OK button.
To return, press exit.
Some values will still be currupt, though, and you will have to guess the right
one or consult the service manual for factory defaults, such as Panel vendor,
Memory vendor, panel type, etc.
But the TV will still work anyway, maybe not with the best image.
9. Go back to Adjust and turn back on the watchdogs.
10. Finally, Set TUNER to AUTO and then go back to root menu, goto RESET and select it
by pressing the right arrow.
Note: I recommend keeping the wires soldered to the EEPROM chip. You may need them in the future.
Just remember to tape the ends to prevent a short-circuit with the chassis.
Other thoughts: If your TV is clicking but still turns on after a while, I STRONGLY suggest you immediately stop using it and swap the power board capacitors at once before your EEPROM data gets bugged.