Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Vdor
Gerbil
Topic Author

22 inch monitor or 32 inch HDTV

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am

Hey... so the title says it all, I'm thinking of buying a new monitor for my PC (currently I have a 17 inch CRT, yes I know its old) and my old TV is starting to go down in pieces (also CRT), I was wondering what would be best: to buy a monitor with HDMI like this so I can hook up my PS3 on it, or go for an HDTV and connect it to my PC and PS3... any thoughts on this??

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 22 inch monitor or 32 inch HDTV

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm

i have actually seen both scenarios in action.

i think you need to go to stores and check out both sizes, consider the distance you'll be sitting away, the resolution you would run, whether you have wireless mouse / keyboard and can sit further out, the type of chair and desk you have, what you use the monitor for.

For example, I have two Ben Q 24" monitors. I use them professionally and needed quality color reproduction, so I spent about $1100 for the two of them. I could have also gotten a giant HDTV that would have been cool for the same cost, but the color and quality of the image reproduction would have been unacceptable for what I do.

Now, if all I did was game and casually browse the web, maybe write in MS Word occasionally, or something, I'd be fine with the HDTV if I had the proper desk / chair.

But, for sitting close, working, doing graphic design or web design, liking high resolution and excellent quality... gotta go with a regular monitor.

Don't forget, if your TV is in the same room as your monitor, you won't be able to watch TV and use the computer at the same time. hehe

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

How about a 24" HD monitor with HDMI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rchInDesc=
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:42 pm

do you plan to actually watch TV in your living room on this or just for games and computer?

Vdor
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 am

Sorry if I didn't make some things clear:

1. The monitor and/or HDTV will be in the same room (a small bedroom).
2. I was thinking to get the HDTV for my PS3 and get a smaller monitor (19'' or less) for the PC, or just one 22''-24'' monitor (with HDMI and 1080p) for both, or the HDTV for both.
3. I will be using the monitor/HDTV at the following distances: ~1-2ft (working on the PC) and 6-9ft for playing games (PC & PS3).
4. TV is not an important constraint, I can live with or without it. Besides, I could buy a TV-tuner for the PC.

So it comes down to:

1. I buy an HDTV an use it as a monitor and HD display for the PS3.
2. I buy a small monitor and an HDTV and use the monitor for PC work and the HDTV for the PS3 and PC gaming (the problem in here is that I'm not swimming in money).
3. I buy a "large" monitor with HDMI and use it for both the PS3 and PC.

In the end it's either 1. or 3. and the questions are: which display is better for gaming, the HDTV or the monitor? and is the quality of a 22''-24'' 1080p monitor as good as an HDTV, or better??

Ditiris
Gerbil

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:17 am

I would say get a 32" HDTV, but make sure it's 1080p (1920x1080). If it's not 1080p, the resolution will be unbearable when you're using it as a PC (at least it would be for me). In fact, I would say go to a store and bring a laptop or borrow someone's laptop, or ask them to set one up, and look at how the setup looks as a PC versus TV. Make sure you're happy with it, that's the most important thing, and it's going to be a good chunk of change.

The other option would be to get a 30" LCD that has HDMI, but those are still fairly expensive. I know that one would be fine as a PC and HDTV.

I personally have 2 24" monitors (1920x1200), and they're great for gaming, but I don't like and wouldn't like watching TV on them from far away. I do watch movies and TV on one of the monitors while I'm working on the other occasionally, but I'm not farther than about 3' away.

I used to have another setup with a 22" monitor and a 34" TV that was about 4-6' away, but I never used the 34" TV as a PC monitor, because it was only 720p and I hated the resolution.

Again, I would encourage you to go to a store and look at a TV as both a TV and PC monitor and use it from the distances you're going to be using it from and make sure you're happy with it before you spend the cash.