Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

MFT GF1 or E-PL1

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Guy,

I currently own a DLR Canon 350D with Kit lenses include , but due to it size and weight i seldom carry it outside except for oversea trip.

When my friend approach me for this GF1 , i then started to look into Micro Four Third (MFT) camera . And it look like it is a good device with better picture and video as well.

I search through forum just now and it look like there are a lot of people is using GF1 and i believe the new model will also going to be out soon..

WIth price GF1 (RM2.7k) E-PL1 (RM2.1k) , whether which shall i go with ?

Of cause when buying camera we also think of the cost of those item when we plan to upgrade or maintenance it .

Can someone give me a light over here so that i wouldn't make a wrong choice at all. :D

imtheunknown176
Gerbil First Class

Re: MFT GF1 or E-PL1

Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Here is an excellent review that compares the E-PL1 to the GF1, as well as other cameras. As someone who owns an E-PL1, I would recommend this camera for anyone wanting a slightly smaller interchangeable lens camera. The only two problems I have with the camera are the lack of dedicated controls and the highest shutter speed of 1/2000 vs 1/4000 for most cameras of the class. I don't mind the lack of control dials too much as I usually use old manual lenses. The shutter speed is only a problem if you use fast lenses in bright light. Usually situations that call for that combination are things like portraiture where it's easy enough to slap on an ND filter. In body IS is a pretty big plus too. While nowhere near as good as the IS that goes into some nice (expensive) lenses, it does it's job well enough. I usually get 1-2 stops out of it. And since it's in body, it will work on any lens (including my Canon FD 300mm f4L). Yes, I know that's a huge lens for this camera :)

Apart from somewhat better build quality I don't know that the GF1 offers much more than the E-PL1. The shutter speed is the only problem and like I mentioned, that's easy enough to work around.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:07 am

imtheunknown176 wrote:
Here is an excellent review that compares the E-PL1 to the GF1, as well as other cameras. As someone who owns an E-PL1, I would recommend this camera for anyone wanting a slightly smaller interchangeable lens camera. The only two problems I have with the camera are the lack of dedicated controls and the highest shutter speed of 1/2000 vs 1/4000 for most cameras of the class. I don't mind the lack of control dials too much as I usually use old manual lenses. The shutter speed is only a problem if you use fast lenses in bright light. Usually situations that call for that combination are things like portraiture where it's easy enough to slap on an ND filter. In body IS is a pretty big plus too. While nowhere near as good as the IS that goes into some nice (expensive) lenses, it does it's job well enough. I usually get 1-2 stops out of it. And since it's in body, it will work on any lens (including my Canon FD 300mm f4L). Yes, I know that's a huge lens for this camera :)

Apart from somewhat better build quality I don't know that the GF1 offers much more than the E-PL1. The shutter speed is the only problem and like I mentioned, that's easy enough to work around.

Thank for the link , it really helpful after i read it out and i decide to continous with my DSLR poison :D

Beomagi
Gerbil

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:57 am

Now is a very good time.
The EPL1 can be bought new for $400, and the EPL1s was announced today (Japan only for now, and nothing really noteworthy - iso bump on same sensor, lighter maybe faster focus lens, color options).

The GF1 is also a good deal now, selling for $600.

GF1 build is a bit better. Faster max shutter (1/4000). Better bracketing options.

EPL1 Better optional viewfinder, in body IS works with ANY lens, Flash can be directed upwards for a diffused bounce (awesome). Better JPEG output (subjective).

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am

Also the GF1 kit comes with a more desirable lens - the 20/1.7, which is still retailing for $315-350. And of course there's the potential to hack the firmware on the GF1 to record higher bitrate video, change framerate (toggleable between 25 and 30 fps) and extend resolution to 1080p.

There are still lots of caveats to buying into micro four thirds, but I think as a second camera to an existing DSLR setup, the GF1 and/or E-PL1 at $600 and $400 are pretty damned attractive.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm

I'd suggest spending that amount on a new EF lens for your EOS camera. :wink: The Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 lens goes for $400 to $500, new.

Voldenuit

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:37 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'd suggest spending that amount on a new EF lens for your EOS camera. :wink: The Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 lens goes for $400 to $500, new.

The OP's problem is that he rarely carries his DSLR around because of the bulk. Suggesting a walkaround lens that is bigger and heavier than his kit lens is probably not going to change this :P (even if the IQ is better).

I do agree that it's better not to split money between two systems, but since getting my GF1, I rarely ever take my 20D out anymore, and that's coming from someone who has many criticisms for the way Panasonic (and Olympus) has handled the format. The beauty of the GF1+20/1.7 kit is that it fills a very different niche than the Canon, so the two can coexist in one's repertoire.

A friend of mine with a 550D bought a S90 for the exact same reason as the OP - his DSLR gear was too bulky and he rarely took it out, even on holiday. However, he was never happy with the IQ of the S90 (as I warned him of beforehand). A Micro Four Thirds camera provides DSLR-level IQ (in the right circumstances) with bulk that is around that of an enthusiast compact. At $900, it's a no-go for a second system, but at $400 and $600, it's definitely worth a look.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Beomagi
Gerbil

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Vold, what's you opinion on the VF-2?

Without the vf-2 option, The build quality and value of the gf1/20mm kit probably weights more than the epl1's subjectively better OOC Jpegs, and built in IS.

The epl1 for $400 plus vf2 (easily one of the best EVFs on the market) would cost ~$650. While it's possible the gf1 may get a better viewfinder, the current offering is a low resolution that aids focus when in harsh light. The vf2 will not only aid in harsh light, but also present a much higher resolution that aids manual focus.

That is assuming that you may go for the $250 VF2 option later.

Voldenuit

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Beomagi wrote:
Vold, what's you opinion on the VF-2?

The VF-2 is fantastic, but unless you're really sold on the rangefinder-eque shape, a bit of a hard sell at $250.

The GF1's LVF1 on the other hand is atrocious. Not only is the resolution insultingly low (202k dots vs 1.4M), it's also field sequential, so there's tearing when you move. According to Panasonic, they will not release a higher resolution model because there is insufficient headroom in the electrical interface on the GF1.

If you were looking to buy an E-PL1, the VF-2 probably doesn't make as much sense as on an E-P2. For one thing, the price rises dramatically (you'd be much better off getting a second lens for that kind of money), and for another, the E-PL1's menu-driven interface is probably not as nice to use with your eye to the vf than the dial interface on the E-P2 (this bit is speculation on my part).

The Oly EP-2 is $650 and comes with the VF-2, so in exchange for the lighter AA filter and built in flash, you get a better built camera with a higher shutter speed (important in those bright daylight scenarios when you'd need the EVF) and twin dial controls.

Then again, a lot of this is because I don't like the menu driven interface on the E-PL1. I do like that it has a dedicated magnify button, which is very useful for legacy lenses, but I'd rather get a GF1 or, failing that, an EP-2. Seeing as the GF1 comes with the 20/1.7, one of the few must-have lenses in the format, I'd definitely go for the former.
Wind, Sand and Stars.