Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Need a decent pocket camera

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I need a camera that doesn't suck. It should be small enough that I can carry it with me and must handle low light conditions as well as possible because 95% of the pictures I take are indoors without the aid of flash. Pixel count doesn't matter since I will ultimately resize it to be easily seen on a computer monitor. The local camera store recommended a Powershot S110 but I'm wondering if the local photo bugs can think of any others I should consider too. Said camera store sells used gear with a limited warranty so I'm open to considering older models if they're still worth it.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Need a decent pocket camera

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
I need a camera that doesn't suck. It should be small enough that I can carry it with me and must handle low light conditions as well as possible because 95% of the pictures I take are indoors without the aid of flash. Pixel count doesn't matter since I will ultimately resize it to be easily seen on a computer monitor. The local camera store recommended a Powershot S110 but I'm wondering if the local photo bugs can think of any others I should consider too. Said camera store sells used gear with a limited warranty so I'm open to considering older models if they're still worth it.

The older S90, S95, and S100 should be on your list as well. However, I must ask how low light are we talking about: a dimly lit bar, or just indoor with ok lighting? Because as good as those "premium compacts" are, you still can't expect miracles if it is near pitch black without flash.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm

What is your budget?

The absolute best is the Canon G1x ($599) or the Sony RX-100 ($648). If you could give us a ballpark budget number, we could find other options. Also, what will you be doing with it?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

The older S90, S95, and S100 should be on your list as well. However, I must ask how low light are we talking about: a dimly lit bar, or just indoor with ok lighting? Because as good as those "premium compacts" are, you still can't expect miracles if it is near pitch black without flash.

It's the Canon S100/110, or the RX100 (or it's replacement that's coming shortly). This is of course assuming that you don't want a super zoom.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
The absolute best is the Canon G1x ($599) or the Sony RX-100 ($648). If you could give us a ballpark budget number, we could find other options. Also, what will you be doing with it?

The G1x would be a stretch to fit in your pocket. The Canon S100 (and previous models) and the RX-100 are much smaller. The sensor on the RX-100 is larger than the S100, but it is also about $200 more expensive. Maybe take a look at the Fujifilm X10?

As previous posters have commented, budget is a large consideration. For example, the full frame Sony RX-1 is small(ish) and takes great pictures, but is also over $2k!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Depends on your budget and preferences. If you want an inexpensive shooter which will be used in "auto" mode most of the time - Sony's HX series of cams are pretty good. But you will have to use flash with it (just like with other inexpensive cams with small sensors)...
If you have more money to spend and not afraid to use manual settings - there's no better option than Sony's RX100 in terms of size/performance.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I'll go up to around 500 bucks though I'd like to keep it less than that if possible. I don't take a lot of pictures but when I do it tends to be something I really want/need a good picture of. The RX-100 is a bit too much but if it's about to be replaced maybe there will be some good sales soon. I'm not looking to buy something right now, more like in a month or two when my finances settle down some.

As far as lighting, mostly we're talking indoors with adequate lighting like a hotel ballroom or an apartment with a couple of floor lamps. I'd like the ability to take night shots with a tripod but it's not critical.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Well, then perhaps try out Canon S100/S110... Just make sure to also buy another spare, non-Canon P&S for the times you'll be sending it back to Canon to fix the "Lens Error" defect :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:00 pm

JohnC wrote:
Well, then perhaps try out Canon S100/S110... Just make sure to also buy another spare, non-Canon P&S for the times you'll be sending it back to Canon to fix the "Lens Error" defect :wink:

My A40, S90, and S95 do not have that problem. However my S95 has developed a few stuck pixels on the sensor. So I am also looking very closely at what the RX100MkII will do. The announcement is tomorrow, can't wait! Latest rumour is that it will not be a replacement and both will co-exist, meaning no price cut for us (the RX100's MSRP is $650 and it has not dropped yet even after one year). :(

For me, I am also looking at the Panasonic LF-1 because of the much more useable zoom range. However, with 20MP of resolution I can easy crop it down to 10MP and still get the "zoom" that I want, I would think. :roll:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

I love my RX100. The upcoming RX100M2 looks cool.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
JohnC wrote:

My A40, S90, and S95 do not have that problem

Glad to hear, however many S100 owners did, Canon officially acknowledged it and offered fixes:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/cano ... ens-error/
but some S110 users still do experience it even today (if you'll read customer reviews at Dpreview forums or even at Amazon).

Flying Fox wrote:
So I am also looking very closely at what the RX100MkII will do

Nothing major - just extra features like Wi-Fi, tilting display and a hotshoe... If you didn't need these - you'll not miss much by going with current RX100, which should still be cheaper than new model... Edit: apparently there's also a new sensor, but with same size: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/27/sony ... -hands-on/