Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: What's your take on 120Hz?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Actually, most of the Korean 24" 1440p panels can be overclocked quite a bit. I've seen two OCed, one went to a bit past 120Hz, so the owner backed to 120Hz and left it there, the other was over 100, so the owner settled for 100Hz. I'm still hoping to get one or two in the not too distant future (BUY MY LAPTOPS AT TR BBQ X!), and will certainly be trying to push them.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:54 pm

I was able to do a little bit more testing, and I'd like to correct and add a few things:

1) StarCraft 2 did not default to 1080p, I just needed to take it out of Windowed mode and then I was able to adjust those settings.
2) The colors for lightboost appear slightly biased on the purple spectrum. My monitor doesn't allow me to calibrate the colors now that we're in lightboost mode, but I will try to see if Catalyst Control Center will allow me to configure the colors.
3) My accuracy in StarCraft 2 has definitely shown huge improvements.
4) Bioshock Infinite looks better with the motion blur, but I think this has more to do with the game looking totally unrealistic to begin with. I haven't played other games yet.

td1353l
Gerbil

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 am

I feel it really depends on what you are upgrading from. I had a 23" 1080p monitor, it was either 120hz 24" or 27" at 1080p, i am a little glad i choose size over 120hz. It also greatly depends on if your gpu can even play games at 90 fps all the time, to really take advantage of the extra hz lanes.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Forge wrote:
If you're interested in checking out motion interpolation on your PC, and you have a pretty decent CPU and GPU, there's a Russian team with a working setup built around avisynth.

http://www.svp-team.com/

With a high enough spec CPU and GPU, the high quality presets on a 120Hz monitor would be a really impressive thing to see.

I installed the linked SmoothVideo Project you linked forge and the effect is amazing on a 60hrtz HTPC. My I3-2120 with a hd7750 run it great...so does my gaming rig since it is hooked to a TV also. Playback at 60fps instead of 24fps is so much better, along with the built in MPHC with MADvr and FDDshow etc. All built into the installer. So the improved picture quality along with the increased frame rate even sometimes gives the illusion of 3d in certain parts of scenes.

Once again I cannot say how much better it makes all my videos 720p or 1080p mkv's AVI's etc, Its so smooth and has such finer detail then before improving over a Blu ray disc. My wife really does not care about picture quality and has a hard time noticing the difference when i make adjustments on the TV picture. But She noticed this in a split second and was amazed!!! I am quoteing her comment......It does not even look like I am looking at a tv, It looks like i am looking through a window with no window in it and its being performed right in front of me. I guess that's why it gives the illusion of 3d in certain parts of scenes.

Thanks for posting that link to the SmoothVideo Project Forge you made my day big time!!!!! On top of that I also hooked up my 2 Advent AV570 70-Watt 2-Way Powered Multimedia Speakers today, AKA Powererd partners to my bedrooms HTPC that displays on my 55" Panisonic VT30. They are at least 15 years old and sound as good as the day they were bought. So combining the new awesome picture with awesome sound the wife and I are happy campers considering the only sound was the TV speakers. The Advent AV750s sound awesome with perfect stereo separation and immersion :) Cheers
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 am

vargis14 wrote:
Thanks for posting that link to the SmoothVideo Project Forge you made my day big time!!!!! On top of that I also hooked up my 2 Advent AV570 70-Watt 2-Way Powered Multimedia Speakers today, AKA Powererd partners to my bedrooms HTPC that displays on my 55" Panisonic VT30. They are at least 15 years old and sound as good as the day they were bought. So combining the new awesome picture with awesome sound the wife and I are happy campers considering the only sound was the TV speakers. The Advent AV750s sound awesome with perfect stereo separation and immersion :) Cheers
After this resounding endorsement, I decided to try it myself. I don't watch a lot of anything; I'm mostly just a gamer -- I very rarely watch TV or movies, and when I do, they're almost exclusively anime.

SmoothVideo Project works AMAZING with anime! Many anime -- the majority, perhaps -- do a lot of slow panning shots of still images, or slow zoom shots, and the effect interpolation has on smoothing these out cannot be understated.

Unlike vargis14, I have the luxury of owning a 120hz Lightboost display, and the smoothing effect is unbelievable on it, it really is. Using SVP's "Demonstration mode", the effect is night and day. It's incredible! Just like vargis14, I cannot overstate my satisfaction.

For those of you without the luxury of having high-end GPUs and 120hz displays, I tested it on my two VS229 60hz IPS displays connected to my Intel HD 4000. I changed over the OpenCL processing to use the HD4000, and while it does occupy over 70% of that GPU (!), it runs flawlessly, with around 30% CPU load. (note: the CPU load did not change between the GTX Titan and iHD 4000, but it went up to ~75% when I disabled the GPU OpenCL.) So a heavy GPU is not really required to use this package, but a beefy CPU definitely is. I'm also using MadVR, for reference, and the videos I was testing with were all 720p HD. I have no problem watching one of these videos on a secondary monitor -- 60Hz still looks pretty nice compared to ~24-29.97Hz -- while playing an intense 3D game on my Titan. It's awesome!