Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Steele
Gerbil
Topic Author

Highest I should go with stock cooling?

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:38 pm

So I've got an i5 4690K, and it seems to run around ~60c at peak (though my fan has to run at full power to keep it there or lower). I've read that ~80 is when you start getting into issues, so I wanted to ask if it would be safe to up my clock speeds a bit? Though I also imagine that it's possible that I'm at some threshold where temperatures will increase exponentially or something. Also, even if I could give myself a safe, small boost, would it make a noticeable performance difference?

I'm kinda adverse to getting a new cooler, just because I'd have to undo (and redo) hours of cabling work. The hardest part being that my motherboard has no support along it's right-most edge when installed on the case mount, so when I try to plug in the 24-pin connector, the mobo almost snaps in two (and I have to put the mobo on first because otherwise I can't hide the power cable properly... I don't think, anyway.)

So any ideas?
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Re: Highest I should go with stock cooling?

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

My recommendation is to see what you can get without upping the voltage...................
I'd certainly stay under 80C core temp..................

Doesn't your case have a decent CPU cutout in your MB tray??????
Today you can generally change heatsink without removing MB or cabling.............

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Overclocking at stock voltage doesn't increase power draw that much, so you can do that just fine with the stock cooler. Once you start raising the voltage you're making a huge difference to power consumption (20% more voltage generates 44% more heat) so you're best avoiding any voltage adjustments at all.

If I were you I'd just see how far you can go on stock voltage. OCCT or Prime95 it and when you hit the stability wall, back it off 100MHz from the last stable speed and call it a day.

Haswell is a real crapshoot in terms of yield and how well the TIM was applied under the heatspreader. If you stay below 1.25V, which is probably as high as you'll be able to cool with a retail cooler anyway, you should reach somewhere in the 4.2-4.5GHz range, which isn't bad from a 3.5GHz starting point....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Steele
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:31 am

So raise the clock, not the voltage. Good to know!

Heretic: I can remove the right-side panel and access the back of the mobo, but there's SO many cables and crap shoved in the way. Though I guess it's more feasible that I originally imagined, so maybe it wouldn't be such a huge pain to get a new cooler. At least I know I have the option, thanks for reminding me!
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

Steele
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:30 pm

UPDATE:

THAT was a mini-nightmare! Apparently I forgot that I had enabled an on-board feature called "OC Genie", and my proc was already going at 4GhZ, even though windows was still reporting 3.5... and messing with the OC features manually gummed up the works! Luckily, I was able to reset CMOS and get everything back to normal, but after an hour or so of an unresponsive video output, I was getting pretty scared!

Of course, now something else weird is happening. I have Core Temp running, and it's showing that my frequency is jumping up and down with use. I don't recall this happening before... should I be concerned?
-Steele ^_^ \/,,

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Steele wrote:
UPDATE:

THAT was a mini-nightmare! Apparently I forgot that I had enabled an on-board feature called "OC Genie", and my proc was already going at 4GhZ, even though windows was still reporting 3.5... and messing with the OC features manually gummed up the works! Luckily, I was able to reset CMOS and get everything back to normal, but after an hour or so of an unresponsive video output, I was getting pretty scared!

Of course, now something else weird is happening. I have Core Temp running, and it's showing that my frequency is jumping up and down with use. I don't recall this happening before... should I be concerned?

That would be Intel's Speed Step and Idle States working, normal behavior no concern necessary. Probably was flipped on when you erased the cmos settings.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology is an advanced means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep® Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology builds upon that architecture using design strategies such as Separation between Voltage and Frequency Changes, and Clock Partitioning and Recovery.

Idle States (C-states) are used to save power when the processor is idle. C0 is the operational state, meaning that the CPU is doing useful work. C1 is the first idle state, C2 the second, and so on, where more power saving actions are taken for numerically higher C-states.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:22 am

Steele wrote:
So I've got an i5 4690K, and it seems to run around ~60c at peak (though my fan has to run at full power to keep it there or lower). I've read that ~80 is when you start getting into issues, so I wanted to ask if it would be safe to up my clock speeds a bit? Though I also imagine that it's possible that I'm at some threshold where temperatures will increase exponentially or something. Also, even if I could give myself a safe, small boost, would it make a noticeable performance difference?

I'm kinda adverse to getting a new cooler, just because I'd have to undo (and redo) hours of cabling work. The hardest part being that my motherboard has no support along it's right-most edge when installed on the case mount, so when I try to plug in the 24-pin connector, the mobo almost snaps in two (and I have to put the mobo on first because otherwise I can't hide the power cable properly... I don't think, anyway.)

So any ideas?

I have used stock cooler for 3 months on i5 4670K, When i had over-clocked the CPU to 4GHZ, under load the CPU would throttle back to 3.4GHZ. If you want to overclock, i highly recommend you to get the cooler first.