Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Aqua Computer Releases Shim For Intel Skylake Processors

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Aqua Computer wrote:
For increased cooling performance, there is a trend to remove the heatspreader from Intel "Skylake" CPUs. This has some negative effects on the secure installation of the CPUs.

One related problem is that the brittle silicon die is not protected against tilted mounting of the CPU cooler - due to this fact edges of the die can easily be broken. The same can happen during transportation of the system.
To reduce both issues, Aqua Computer has developed a CNC laser machined spacer consisting of a precision stainless spring steel sheet and a very thin heat resistant adhesive tape. The sheet is sanded after laser cutting to deburr it perfectly. This is important as for maximum protection the height of the spacer is only some 1/100 mm lower than the CPU die.

Source: Spacer for Intel Skylake CPUs

It's a spacer for a delidded Intel Skylake CPU. Anyone willing to remove the IHS, and try this out?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Aqua Computer Releases Shim For Intel Skylake Processors

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I thought the original story about skylake chips being "bendable" did not require delidding, or is this unrelated?

Either way I already have my 6600k installed, so don't look at me. :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Redocbew wrote:
I thought the original story about skylake chips being "bendable" did not require delidding, or is this unrelated?

Either way I already have my 6600k installed, so don't look at me. :)

This is unrelated to the bending of the pin-less package. This is for those enthusiasts that are interested in overclocking or removing the integrated heat spreader. The idea is one less layer heat from the CPU die needs to travel through to the heatsink.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 am

Saw some tests, there are scary big gains to delidding Skylake. Often 8-12C. Yikes.

I'll take a pass on risking turning my $360 chip into a Triscuit, though.