Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Excessive to use beefy cooler on locked i5-4590?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:47 am

Well, the CM Hyper TX3 EVO does work, but I was wondering if I could improve the temps even more if I went straight to something even more beefy. The weather's getting rather hot lately (thank all-year summer weather in my location), and, well... something just bugs me about the temps even though it's not thermal throttling at any typical use case.

The CPU loves to idle at around 40-45C and can hit 70C easily in a something like IntelBurnTest, though it isn't exactly much better with a real work like a Handbrake encode queue (around 60C).

It probably is also a good idea to also ask about this. What would be a good idle temp delta from room ambient, and load, for a standard-power desktop Haswell i5? Maybe my temps are actually pretty good and I probably shouldn't worry about it?
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Re: Excessive to use beefy cooler on locked i5-4590?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:55 am

Noinoi wrote:
Well, the CM Hyper TX3 EVO does work, but I was wondering if I could improve the temps even more if I went straight to something even more beefy. The weather's getting rather hot lately (thank all-year summer weather in my location), and, well... something just bugs me about the temps even though it's not thermal throttling at any typical use case.

The CPU loves to idle at around 40-45C and can hit 70C easily in a something like IntelBurnTest, though it isn't exactly much better with a real work like a Handbrake encode queue (around 60C).

It probably is also a good idea to also ask about this. What would be a good idle temp delta from room ambient, and load, for a standard-power desktop Haswell i5? Maybe my temps are actually pretty good and I probably shouldn't worry about it?

Be it my internetz opinion and the salt and 2c that's its worth.. as long as you are not peaking above 90c you should be fine. The throttling will protect your cpu if you do somehow end up over the tjunction limit.

If you spin prime95 and go 'small fft' and it still hangs around 70-80c after a hour I would call it good unless you REALLY want 5c cooler or so.. Despite process improvements haswell gets warm under load.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Yeah, I know those temps aren't exactly cool but you really aren't anywhere near thermal throttling and 60C in a sustained workload that's about as intense as you are going to get outside of the intentional thermal stress-test is fine.

However, let me ask you this: Is fan noise at high load being an issue for you? That could be one reason to change solutions to quiet things down.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 pm

chuckula wrote:
Yeah, I know those temps aren't exactly cool but you really aren't anywhere near thermal throttling and 60C in a sustained workload that's about as intense as you are going to get outside of the intentional thermal stress-test is fine.

However, let me ask you this: Is fan noise at high load being an issue for you? That could be one reason to change solutions to quiet things down.

No, that's not a problem (especially on auto, where they're practically inaudible - even at max speed it's not annoying). Though I should mention that the temps I listed are for all fans at maxed out (more relevant for load temps), if on auto expect the fans to be a whole lot more quiet since they'd be running more like at 50-60% speed. Though temps are predictably about 5C worse than full speed, but I guess 65C and 75C aren't too bad anyway.

Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations. On the other hand, I had my first computer where 60C is really high (over a decade ago)...
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I used to obsess over getting temperatures as low as possible until I realized you're working doubly hard as the efficiency of the cooler drops the closer ambient and heat sink temperatures get.

I had two identical boxes setup, one with its fans set to get aggressive between CPU temps of 50 and 60c and one between 60 and 70c, and it's like night and day the noise levels on the machine, and the temperatures in the hotter box are still no where near worrysome.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:34 am

Intel's spec for max CPU case (i.e. the outside of the CPU package) temperature on that CPU is 72C. Not sure what your temperature sensor is reading though; if it is the core temperature, that would normally be quite a bit hotter than the case temperature, in which case 70C would not be any cause for concern.

I guess my inclination would be to leave it be, given that the noise level with the current HSF isn't an issue.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flapdrol
Gerbil

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

60 degrees in handbrake is not hot at all.

No point putting a bigger cooler on a locked cpu unless you want to lower noise. But you could also do that by allowing higher temps, with the stock cooler handbrake would probably get the cores to 80 degrees or something, which is still nothing to worry about.