Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

DBofficial
Gerbil
Topic Author

Any suggestions on cooling the AMD 880K?

Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm

I normally build ITX systems so am a bid overwhelmed by options in regarding to cooling in a Micro ATX.

Case: BitFenix Pandora
CPU: AMD Athlon II 880K 4Ghz 95W
Cooler: Raijintek Zelos / AMD Stock

I upgraded the system to a stand alone GFX card with the 880K for my brother but stock cooling wasn't impressive with temps kicking up to mid 50's, pushing near 70 when he was streaming. I had the Zelos laying around after it didn't fit my ITX motherboard due to being too low. I didn't think to check if it was suited to a 95W cpu, which I'm guessing it isn't as now it idles between 55-60 and when streaming he is topping 80... The system seems to get iffy when hotter like this and the likes of Firefox will freeze up and cause his pc to blue screen, so we're looking to buy a new cooler. Then I can focus on the drama between OBS, Elgato and the new upgrades.

Any suggestions?

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Re: Any suggestions on cooling the AMD 880K?

Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 pm

I haven't used this brand personally but depending on your Ram clearance this is supposed to be a competitive option:
http://www.cryorig.com/c1.php

If you need something smaller there is also this model:
http://www.cryorig.com/c7_us.php

Edit: oh sorry, I misread and thought you said this was for m-ITX. Well either way these would work. but if you are looking for a range of options I would check out:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 pm

The stock cooler should be more than sufficient. I'd chase the stability issues using it, IMO.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Looks like the Bitfenix Pandora is a slim-ish mATX case. I'd bet that a 90/92mm tower style heatsink like the CM Hyper TX3 would still fit. Since you've already got the case and the build, it shouldn't be too hard to measure up from the CPU to the side panel. The TX3 (and most other 92mm tower heatsinks) is 140mm tall. Or you could venture into the downdraft style heatsinks. This Phanteks unit is currently at the top of my list.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

DBofficial
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 pm

Waco wrote:
The stock cooler should be more than sufficient. I'd chase the stability issues using it, IMO.

Unfortunately I've read a lot of reports of similar temps, including a tech review saying it averages a decent 50ish but will certainly climb quite high when stressed.

The BSOD issues and stability are almost certainly driver related to either the new Graphics Card or the Elgato driver as the Kernal Security Check Failure is nearly always a graphics issues. The trouble is, it's the latest AMD stable driver, so I'm not entirely sure what else to do?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, the TX3 and Scythe Rev B look very promising. I run the Scythe in my ITX and have very good results on a different 95W AMD cpu.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 26, 2016 9:19 am

DBofficial wrote:
The trouble is, it's the latest AMD stable driver, so I'm not entirely sure what else to do?

"stable" or WHQL or Beta doesn't mean much for system stability these days. If you're having graphics driver problems, the first thing to do is install the 2nd most recent driver version. If that doesn't change anything, sometimes I'll go back to the 3rd most recent. After that I rule out that the graphics drivers probably aren't the root cause.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Thu May 26, 2016 10:12 am

DBofficial wrote:
I normally build ITX systems so am a bid overwhelmed by options in regarding to cooling in a Micro ATX.

Case: BitFenix Pandora
CPU: AMD Athlon II 880K 4Ghz 95W
Cooler: Raijintek Zelos / AMD Stock

I upgraded the system to a stand alone GFX card with the 880K for my brother but stock cooling wasn't impressive with temps kicking up to mid 50's, pushing near 70 when he was streaming. I had the Zelos laying around after it didn't fit my ITX motherboard due to being too low. I didn't think to check if it was suited to a 95W cpu, which I'm guessing it isn't as now it idles between 55-60 and when streaming he is topping 80... The system seems to get iffy when hotter like this and the likes of Firefox will freeze up and cause his pc to blue screen, so we're looking to buy a new cooler. Then I can focus on the drama between OBS, Elgato and the new upgrades.

Any suggestions?

I use the 860K for scientific calculations (24/7 for days at a time, running all 4 cores) and it is rock solid, relatively quiet and cool with the CoolerMaster Evo 212.

Don't know if it fits in your case, but can't go wrong with this one in my opinion.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 26, 2016 12:37 pm

ptsant wrote:
I use the 860K for scientific calculations (24/7 for days at a time, running all 4 cores) and it is rock solid, relatively quiet and cool with the CoolerMaster Evo 212.

Don't know if it fits in your case, but can't go wrong with this one in my opinion.

I would normally second this opinion, but the Pandora is only 160mm wide. The 120mm exhaust fan is on top, rather than the back, if that's any indication how narrow this case is. That means pretty much anything that uses 120mm fans is not going to fit (unless it's pointing down at the mobo) since most of those are pushing 150mm tall on their own, with the socket, mobo, and any air gaps not considered. It's really meant for 120mm or maybe 240mm radiator coolers.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 26, 2016 12:49 pm

DBofficial wrote:
Unfortunately I've read a lot of reports of similar temps, including a tech review saying it averages a decent 50ish but will certainly climb quite high when stressed.

Because they are perfectly normal and exactly what it's designed to do. Tech Report's review found the same sort of values, 69°C: http://techreport.com/review/29691/amd- ... r-reviewed

Unless you want to overclock or the fan is too noisy then it seems like a waste of money to replace it. As others have said if the CPU isn't even hitting 70°C then it's not going to be the cause of stability issues.

hexr
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm curious what motherboard you are using, is it possible that it is a temp sensor gone bonkers?

DBofficial
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm

DPete27 wrote:
DBofficial wrote:
The trouble is, it's the latest AMD stable driver, so I'm not entirely sure what else to do?

"stable" or WHQL or Beta doesn't mean much for system stability these days. If you're having graphics driver problems, the first thing to do is install the 2nd most recent driver version. If that doesn't change anything, sometimes I'll go back to the 3rd most recent. After that I rule out that the graphics drivers probably aren't the root cause.

Just to update you, I used the uninstaller untility to remove all AMD stuff, as it was refusing to uninstall normally, kept crashing. Restarted, installed the previous driver and immediately things have gotten weirder? A box popped up mid-way saying a "Skype Launcher" has stopped working (despite not being opened). The install finished as it should. Restarted and now programs keep failing to Launch, various games etc come up with the "Star Wars Launcher stopped working" etc. What on earth is going on now?

I have to say, I've built several pcs for myself and my brothers and all have been flawless... until graphics cards get involved and its happening again. The system was previously an APU with zero crashes ever. New CPU & GFX and immediately issues.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 28, 2016 1:12 pm

DBofficial wrote:
? A box popped up mid-way saying a "Skype Launcher" has stopped working (despite not being opened). The install finished as it should. Restarted and now programs keep failing to Launch, various games etc come up with the "Star Wars Launcher stopped working" etc. What on earth is going on now?

I'm not familiar with Skype, but some programs have launchers that sit in the background and load their resources during idle moments so they can spring open when you start them.

The problem sounds like a hardware failure. So you still have the previous APU? That would be a good way to determine whether it's a new component or damage done during installation causing the problem.

p.s. Have you checked whether the 880k is on your motherboard's CPU support list for your revision and bios version?

DBofficial
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 1:21 pm

EndlessWaves wrote:
DBofficial wrote:
? A box popped up mid-way saying a "Skype Launcher" has stopped working (despite not being opened). The install finished as it should. Restarted and now programs keep failing to Launch, various games etc come up with the "Star Wars Launcher stopped working" etc. What on earth is going on now?

I'm not familiar with Skype, but some programs have launchers that sit in the background and load their resources during idle moments so they can spring open when you start them.

The problem sounds like a hardware failure. So you still have the previous APU? That would be a good way to determine whether it's a new component or damage done during installation causing the problem.

p.s. Have you checked whether the 880k is on your motherboard's CPU support list for your revision and bios version?

Yes the cpu is supported under the current bios and all anti-static precautions were taken on the installation. I'm tempted to reinstall windows, I had a similar issue upgrading a graphics card in somebody elses pc that was fixed by simply reinstalling windows. Windows 8 doesn't seem to like hardware upgrades.

coolflame57
Gerbil

Sat May 28, 2016 3:53 pm

I can't believe that no one has recommended Noctua yet!

Here is their low profile AMD CPU cooler that I think is suitable for your build. It will even leave some headroom for overclocking, provided you use both fans:

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l12

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608025

noctua nh-l12, $60

A bit pricey, but COMPLETELY worth it. I have yet to hear someone speak ill of Noctua in terms of quality of products. They're just a bit expensive, that's all.

If that's out of your price range, I think this is also good.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/570

Be quiet! shadow Rock LP, $40

This also seems to be OK, and I've heard good things about Be Quiet!.

Although, with the shadow rock LP, you might run into ram issues. What motherboard do you have?

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm

coolflame57 wrote:

Here is their low profile AMD CPU cooler that I think is suitable for your build. It will even leave some headroom for overclocking, provided you use both fans:

noctua nh-l12, $60

A bit pricey, but COMPLETELY worth it. I have yet to hear someone speak ill of Noctua in terms of quality of products. They're just a bit expensive, that's all.

That's actually the larger one that will work in a ATX / mATX case the low profile AMD Socket FM2/FM2+ is the

Noctua NH-L9A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 9PV3Y61189

which is suitable for a small MiniITX / mATX case. I've got one of those cooling my AMD A10-7850K APU and its a night and day difference when compared to the stock cooler it came with. You have to remove the FM2 plastic socket clips but the SecuFirm installation of this Noctua product is amazing. Very well designed you can see why they charge a premium but its worth it I found out immediately when trying to play Battlefield 4 on the APU with stock cooling.

coolflame57
Gerbil

Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 pm

fullbodydenim wrote:
coolflame57 wrote:

noctua nh-l12, $60

That's actually the larger one that will work in a ATX / mATX case the low profile AMD Socket FM2/FM2+ is the

Noctua NH-L9A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 9PV3Y61189

which is suitable for a small MiniITX / mATX case. I've got one of those cooling my AMD A10-7850K APU and its a night and day difference when compared to the stock cooler it came with. You have to remove the FM2 plastic socket clips but the SecuFirm installation of this Noctua product is amazing. Very well designed you can see why they charge a premium but its worth it I found out immediately when trying to play Battlefield 4 on the APU with stock cooling.

I checked to make sure, they both are low profile, but the one I recommended has a higher profile while being rated to cool up to 125 W as opposed to the one you recommended which is rated to cool up to 65 W.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 am

Noctua is pretty pricey though. I'm a happy owner of an NH-D9L, but for most builds I'd recommend a Cooler Master TX3 before that Noctua, just because it's not cost-effective. For all my skepticism of CM in their other ventures, they do cheap yet effective CPU cooling really well. For something lower profile, maybe this?

OTOH, the NH-D9L is shorter than most 92mm towers, and it'll definitely fit. It may be some of the best air cooling you can fit in that case (though for this situation that just means overkill, I think).

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 am

The new stock heatsinks should do the job if you've got sufficient case cooling -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9lCASJ17ps
Meow.