Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

evilpaul
Gerbil
Topic Author

Corsair Obsidian 750D & H115i while waiting for Kaby Lake?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:09 am

Hey guys,

I've been using an old Antec case for probably ~15 years now?

It's this one minus the side fan (not sure if the image will load or not)
And would like to update it to something with all the modern amenities and replace my Coolermaster Hyper D92 to a more robust AIO water cooler. The Core i5 4690K I've got can run at 4.4Ghz with 1.2v with the case open and a small house fan blowing on it, but throttles with the case closed and/or crashes possibly due to heat if I do something taxing to the CPU under normal circumstances.. 4.0Ghz and stock voltage is fine, but eeking out some extra performance before I upgrade it in six or however many months would be nice.

I know the case is nice I've read the review on this site and a couple others. But I've heard very mixed things about the H115i cooler. Some people say it's really quiet others say the pump is noisy and strange sounding and the fans it comes with are garbage+very loud. When I let my PC idle it's nearly silent (with a few 80mm case fans set to silent in the BIOS along with the rest of the fans), so I'd like to maintain that. The D92 and fan on my 1080 are pretty quiet even when I'm gaming or just using my PC. Audible, but hardly annoying. Can I expect the same with the new case and cooler?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

edit: And since my new GPU has the RGB thing going on, I decided against my better judgment to go with a case with a window and red LED fans. I'll basically be the only one seeing it, so nobody can judge me.

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil

Re: Corsair Obsidian 750D & H115i while waiting for Kaby Lak

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:07 am

evilpaul wrote:
And since my new GPU has the RGB thing going on, I decided against my better judgment to go with a case with a window and red LED fans. I'll basically be the only one seeing it, so nobody can judge me.

I'll be judging you. Just remember that.

I've heard plenty of good things about the 750D, though I don't have any experience with corsair cases myself. For what it's worth I have only seen good reviews. I've had a case with a side window before, and while I didn't hate it, I didn't like it. I didn't have a light show to watch inside though, so that's a factor.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Re: Corsair Obsidian 750D & H115i while waiting for Kaby Lak

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:37 am

The 750D is a thumper - the 450D is the pick of the models in terms of physical footprint. If you have a need for the space by all means, but if it's just an AiO you're using, save the coin and stick with the 450D. I had the Airflow edition and as usual for Corsair it was a lovely case to work in (and not overly noisy), however I wanted my big side fan back so picked up a 500R.

I have a H115i GTX currently, it's the same as the 'new' (current) H115i. The pump is noisy flat-out, but if you use the CorsairLINK thing to set it to 'quiet' it's fine. The stock fans are very good at pushing air, and rubbish at being quiet - even at lowest speed. Throw them in the parts bin and get yourself a pair of Noctua Redux 1200RPM 140s and you'll be set.

I took CorsairLINK off pretty quick, it's mediocre at PWM ramping and my motherboard was far better with less dicking around.

A H115i with 1200RPM Noctuas is what I roll to most high-performance machines I do up these days. My stock 3930K is good for 50C while gaming with the fans somewhere in the middle of the range. A stock 6700K is good for about 45C.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

evilpaul
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Corsair Obsidian 750D & H115i while waiting for Kaby Lake?

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 am

I ended up grabbing a 750D and H115i at Micro Center. The extra space is really nice. I measured and I knew I'd have enough space to keep putting my 360 controller on top of the case. I replaced the fans the H115i came with with two Corsair SP140 red LED ones. The one in the back with a another SP140 red, and the two in the front with AF140s that are also red so I've got a super gaudy red theme going. I went with red because it's not obnoxious at night like blue tends to be. I also picked up two 120mm filters and a AF120 red fan for the bottom of the case.

I only got the latter stuff today and didn't feel like installing it yet. 

I'm pleased with the lower temps. AIDA64's stability test can run my i5 4690K at 4.6Ghz at ~60C at 1.250v for six hours with the memory test going as well (I'm using 2x 8GB G.Skill DDR3-2400). Stressing out my Gigabyte non-reference 1080 the temp never breaks 70C and it idles at 40C where it was 45-49C with the fan going on and off before. The CPU also idles at a few C over room temperature. So that's all really nice and I'm happy with it. I'll post some terrible quality pictures from my **** phone tomorrow probably after I do a little cable management. That part's an embarrassing mess right now.

The only problem I've got is if I max out the CPU and GPU at the same time the screen goes black and stays that way until I reboot. I thought it was freezing, but if I play an MP3 in the background the music doesn't stop? So...power supply problem and the graphics driver crashing? I've got a (crappy) 600W Corsair CX (I think?) It doesn't happen in games (any i've played yet, anyway mostly just Dark Souls 3 and a PS2 emulator). And a bunch of runs of Cinebench, Unigine Heaven, and TIme Spy/Fire Strike Ultra are all fine. Ideas? Google's only gotten me stuff with people talking about Core 2's and AMD chips.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 am

My dual Xeon X5650 server is using a Corsair Obsidian 700D (basically a windowless version of the 750D). It is a massive case. I was originally going to fill it with drives and use it as a NAS in addition to its VM server duties but that combo did not work out. In hindsight I should have gone with a smaller case. To make a long story short, unless you are going to max out the hard drive count do you need that big a case?

I've got 2 2010 era 120mm Corsair CPU coolers in the 700D and 2012 era 240mm Corsair CPU coolers in both my Linux rig and my gaming rig. I've never had an issue with pump noise. The 700D is so quiet it sits next to my HDTV in the living room.

I'm spec'ing out a new Kaby Lake build and I am thinking about this new Corsair fan for both case and cooler.

evilpaul
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I had considered those, but they were more money than I wanted to spend. If the price comes down a bit I may get purple ones assuming they're available. Are they PWM? That's the only thing I didn't like about the fans I got, but BIOS controls work well enough.

I didn't need all the room, but Ive always gone with full towers for my main PC. It never goes anywhere,and fits in the space I have for it.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:50 pm

evilpaul wrote:
Are they PWM?

Yes