Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

I feel the need for speed...

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 am

I have been having issues with playing BF1. I have my settings on the lowest and the framerates will randomly plummet sometimes to 20 fps. Even if it doesn't go that low the video will at times stutter so bad it will make the game unplayable. Most of the time I'm running around 100 fps. I can't seem to find what is causing this drop but it will happen 2-3 times when playing for a couple of hours and will usually last no more than a minute or two.

The CPU is definitely the bottleneck as at low settings the GPU has got plenty of headroom and the CPU is running at a steady 103% on all 4 cores. I can't really put the money into a new rig and with new offerings from AMD and Intel in the near future it's hard to justify the money. The only other option it to throw an i7-4790K Devil's Canyon in there to give me more cores but spending $300 + for an old series processor is not very appealing to me either.Heh... I thought my chipset was an 1150 but it is an 1155 so processor upgrades are not really a possibility.

I happened to be in Sacramento on business this past weekend and Stopped by Fry's to drool over all things droolable and spotted an Enermax LIQMAX 120S for $45 and a $15 rebate. The reviews seem to be ok so I picked it up. Time to make my K processor earn it's K! I'm hoping it will get 4.2 Ghz but will settle for 4.0 if I can get it. It will be better than the stock fan so I will soon be installing it. As this is only my second processor that I have OC'd any tips will be appreciated.
Last edited by Pville_Piper on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: I feel the need for speed...

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:03 am

Sounds like thermal throttling to me rather than a CPU performance bottleneck. Did you ever run temperature logs via any CPU utilities whilst gaming? I'm expecting that it was hovering around 95C and would throttle back occasionally which was when it would stutter, only to creep back up to the throttling threshold. If it was CPU throttling, you'd probably find that it runs better on Ultra settings where the CPU is held back a bit by the GPU and doesn't get as hot.

I guess you've already bought the solution to thermal throttling, so you'll know soon enough if that's what it was.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:06 am

That was something I never thought about... And could be very possible.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

I played BF1 this afternoon to set a base line in temperature, Over 40 minutes and the temp was a steady 81-82 c. It never did give me any issues playing in that 40 minutes. After the upgrade, It ran a max of 54c... Most of the time it was down at 52... I'd say it's doing the job. Not bad for a $45 cooler!